Real Woody Woodpecker spotted in DuPa...

Real Woody Woodpecker spotted in DuPage preserve

There are 13 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 27, 2007, titled Real Woody Woodpecker spotted in DuPage preserve. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The pileated woodpecker is a loud, large bird. An inspiration for the Woody Woodpecker cartoon character, it measures 15 inches from head to tail and can be heard from about a quarter of a mile away when it ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Mike

United States

#1 Nov 27, 2007
I've seen one of these in Busse woods this year...didn't know they were rare around here. I used to vacation in northern Minnesota and we would see them all the time.
So Sick Of It

Lake In The Hills, IL

#2 Nov 27, 2007
Oh wow, it would be sooooooo cool to see one. I love going to Northern Wisconsin to our cabin, the variety of birds is awesome.
Arkie

Washington, DC

#3 Nov 27, 2007
I moved here to NW arkansas from Illinois. I couldn't figure out what the Loud pounding was outside, until I saw the pileated woodpecker for the first time. They really are awesome and quite common down here. You will probably hear one before you see it. They area really neat. Hope they multiply well up there.
Pantry Panic

United States

#4 Nov 27, 2007
I wonder if Woody is still trying to eat that poor, hungry little kitty cat.

Guess who??
Big deal

Chicago, IL

#5 Nov 28, 2007
I've seen this type of woodpecker in my yard in Indiana.
Fatchick

Granger, IN

#6 Nov 28, 2007
Editor - please include a picture, for those of us who have never seen one, except in a bird book.
Pooch

Wanatah, IN

#7 Nov 28, 2007
Someone should declare that area around the (hopeful) future site of nesting off limits to humans. Who wants to mate with an audience?

“Love the City that Works!”

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

#8 Nov 28, 2007
I watched a woodpecker outside my window a couple of months ago on the Northwest Side of Chicago. It kept pecking away on the side of a tree. It didn't nest here and it took off not to be seen again.
Frank

Springfield, IL

#9 Nov 28, 2007
I saw one last year at Las Casas and forest Glen Ave in Chicago.
kin

West Hollywood, CA

#10 Nov 28, 2007
hii hjkhgyug
So Sick Of It

Lake In The Hills, IL

#11 Nov 28, 2007
Woodpeckers peck for 2 reasons, 1) to search out bugs for lunch and 2) to alert others to its territory.
Lou

Bloomingdale, IL

#12 Dec 13, 2007
Yah, they get annoying. . .
Jenna

Grand Blanc, MI

#13 Oct 25, 2008
Wow, Woody is AMAZING!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Danger! Do not try to date DuPage County women! (Jan '13) Sat King Haggard 10
Ex Willow Officer Salerno Dec 14 wake up 1
I am a Vampire seeking a partner in return of e... (May '11) Dec 14 Latina18 62
News Bacci Pizzeria owner accused of hiring gang to ... (Sep '08) Jul '17 Chef boyardee 124
News Downers Grove man charged after Darien Wal-Mart... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Go Blue Forever 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Kathleen A. Weaver as Mayor? (Sep '14) Nov '15 Trolls without bo... 4
News Willowbrook teen charged with hate crime in Dar... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Bodi Lal Ram 1

Darien Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Darien Mortgages