Richard Reed

Dunlap, TN

#346 May 16, 2013
It sure was I used to skip gym class at Proviso West 1st period and have coffee there every morning those were the good old days I used to buy my load Bell bottoms at Uncle Sams I also went to St Simeons grade school and lived and grew up in Bellwood good memories!!!!!!!!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#347 May 17, 2013
For those of you that have lived in these areas, for a longtime.....what effect was the federal program, Section 8 Housing Assistance....had on changing the culture, safety and environment of these suburbs?.....
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#348 May 19, 2013
We moved out of Bellwood in 1971 - Growing up in Bellwood was Great! In the summer you left your house and didn't come home until dinner time and nobody worried about you. Bellwood was a safe friendly town and anyone who had the good fortune to grow up there will tell you the same thing. Not exactly sure when Bellwood started to change certainly Bellwood started to slip in the late 70's and it was down hill from there. It's really a shame the town has turned into such a nightmare.

Location hidden

#349 May 19, 2013
I would wager, much of the decline, might match the closing of Cabrini Green and other Public(Free)Housing, within and around, the innercity?.....
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#350 May 19, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
I would wager, much of the decline, might match the closing of Cabrini Green and other Public(Free)Housing, within and around, the innercity?.....
I still live in Berkeley,Il for over 40 years & it is definetly going to hell also,I had to call the Village & the Police Dept.more than 6 times to get an excessive dog shit problem which is causing a severe fly infestation in our home resolved from a Hillbilly Family that lives next to me that insists that they have to own 8-10 dogs because the Woman of the house is afraid for her life & just being a negligent loser.Now she tells the Police that she is afraid of me after I had no choice but to report them even after trying to help them out cutting the Mulberry Tree & weed overgrowth problem on their property.I even gave them an electric chainsaw to help with the cleanup.I went to Sunnyside/MacArthur/Proviso West during the 1960's & 1970's & we did not have any minorities around here until the fools decided that they would sell us out.Crime barely existed until these BS changes had to occur around here.I may have to move out of here myself because of this.Also,my mother lost here original home here in Berkeley due to the high property taxes imposed on us in order to fund the local schools in District 87 in order to keep young families (now mostly Black & Hispanic Minorites)from moving out of Berkeley.What a really bogus short-sighted decision!

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#351 May 21, 2013
Hillside Cop who lives in Oswego. Quite a cruise to work in Hillside. I believe that you are indeed the same person who works for CarMax. I'll go by what my friend who is a SWORN POLICE OFFICER said and some of the relocated employees of Menards that now work in Glendale Heights. You see your post starts with your defense of CarMax then you immediately try and go after the Menards closing. There was a police report filed about Menards. There just isn't a solid case. I love how you skated the fact that you are not a SWORN POLICE OFFICER and just said you worked there. You just keep defending the CarMax and keep trying and discredit me. It's OK. I would too if I had to work at that CarMax. Like I said before , talk to your employees at CarMax but please don't tell me about what happened on my test drive or at Menards. The Menards sales were alright but they definitely had location. Where is the closest Menards or Home Depot from Hillside? Either Oakbrook Terrace or Melrose Park. The Menards did plenty of business because other then Grainger, contractors used that Menards. One of us is lying and it's you. Just so you know I'm going to ask if anybody indeed works for the Hillside PD and works in Oswego. I think we all know the answer CarMax Cop Oswego. Got to love the CarMax trolls. By the way, where did you grow up in the old hood? Tell us some of your stories, after all that's what this discussion is about.

Oak Brook, IL

#352 May 22, 2013
My friend who is a SWORN POLICE OFFICER in Hillside wants to know something. Are you claiming to be a Police Officer? I mean I know that you are the same person as "Someone" from Lombard just doing damage control for CarMax. Hell you even made up another account using "Hillside Cop" which you stole from my post about Menards. My one friend who is a SWORN HILLSIDE POLICE OFFICER wants to know if you are trying to pass yourself off as a police officer. If so, that's a pretty serious crime and he will look into it officially. So now I ask you since you like to troll my posts every 6 weeks or so, are you saying you're a sworn police officer? I mean between you and your alter ego "Someone" you have a whopping two posts on all of Topix. If you have something to add to the discussion I welcome it. If you are just trying to be a troll and defend CarMax because the Hillside one is a hole that's another story. My friend said he knew of two people who did work for the Hillside PD and lived in Oswego. Neither one were police officers. One retired and the other one moved on. Look you are on thin ground here and what you post next could get you into serious trouble. I warn you now as someone who has just actually talked to a Hillside cop, if you are trying to pass yourself off as a police officer and you aren't, you could get yourself in BIG trouble. Be very careful on how your word your response. Is defending CarMax worth getting arrested? Is not knowing a thing about the closing of the Hillside Menards worth talking smack? It's so boring to know what really happened. I could give out personal information that verifies both. I choose not to because there are other people that I have known for 40+ years who could get in big trouble. This stupidity on your part should stop before you get yourself in trouble with the law. After my test drive I told many people of my experience with your CarMax. Should I have them post here and prove that I told them what went down during my test drive long before I posted it? I don't think I have to and besides it proves nothing. Its the same as you. Come out of nowhere and post once or twice with some made-up non registered name. Should I try and get my cop friends that I grew up with to post here and possibly get into trouble? No,that's just plain ridiculous. Same goes for people I know in management at Menards in Glendale Heights. So if you have something to add to this conversation about what happened to the Hillside shopping center then do it. If you are just a CarMax flunky who is trying to discredit me, my posts speak for themselves. I grew up in Hillside, I know people who still live and work there, the same for Berkeley, Bellwood and Westchester and feel that I have contributed to the conversation. I know why Menards really closed and that was really all that was left of the shopping center, mall or whatever you called it depending on what generation you were. What have you done? Attack my posts and on top of that showed your true colors. You defend CarMax like it's your job and it probably is. You then try and discredit me about Menards. I mean really get a life and post something relevant to the topic. You didn't seem to attack any post that didn't have to do with CarMax though. Moral to everybody on this board. There is nothing left of the original Hillside Mall as my generation called it. There is a ghetto CarMax that they built across from the bowling ally that is all fenced in with really high chain link fence and what was the Bank of Hillside. That's all that's left. Some abandoned buildings where the Goldblatts was and The Dominicks. The whole area has gone to hell and our Shopping Center is gone. That's What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center.

Location hidden

#353 May 22, 2013
...a genuine, authentic SWORN POLICE OFFICER??????????

Oak Brook, IL

#354 May 22, 2013
Yes a genuine, authentic SWORN POLICE OFFICER and he's none to happy about people pretending to be officers when in fact they work for CarMax. He's is actually kind of mad. He knows the truth behind what goes on in Hillside and isn't going to put up with someone pretending to be something they aren't. Look we all grew up together and watched our towns get overrun by section 8 scumbags. I have known the last Police Chiefs of Hillside, Berkeley and Bellwood. One is dead of cancer, the other one has pretty nasty cancer and one retired. It was a great place to grow up but now these cops really put themselves in harms way. So when somebody talks smack about being a cop, they take it seriously. What happened to our towns was the same as what happened to your Park Forest. How do you think those cops would take to somebody trying to do damage control for their crummy car lot and then having the nerve to pretend to be a real cop? I have no beef with you. I do have a beef with the person who is a CarMax troll who just flames my posts. Whoever it is, they are just doing damage control the CarMax way. That CarMax location has some nasty reviews on the web. Look for yourself. I know firsthand of their crummy business practices and when you mention that you bought from a a real car dealer, they get bent. I'm not saying don't go to CarMax, just don't go to that one. Really think about it, would you spend $30,000 on a used car that you got to test drive for ten minutes tops because you had to take a predetermined course for your test drive?
Hillside Cop

Villa Park, IL

#355 May 28, 2013
High on a Hillside wrote:
Yes a genuine, authentic SWORN POLICE OFFICER and he's none to happy about people pretending to be officers when in fact they work for CarMax. He's is actually kind of mad. He knows the truth behind what goes on in Hillside and isn't going to put up with someone pretending to be something they aren't. Look we all grew up together and watched our towns get overrun by section 8 scumbags. I have known the last Police Chiefs of Hillside, Berkeley and Bellwood. One is dead of cancer, the other one has pretty nasty cancer and one retired. It was a great place to grow up but now these cops really put themselves in harms way. So when somebody talks smack about being a cop, they take it seriously. What happened to our towns was the same as what happened to your Park Forest. How do you think those cops would take to somebody trying to do damage control for their crummy car lot and then having the nerve to pretend to be a real cop? I have no beef with you. I do have a beef with the person who is a CarMax troll who just flames my posts. Whoever it is, they are just doing damage control the CarMax way. That CarMax location has some nasty reviews on the web. Look for yourself. I know firsthand of their crummy business practices and when you mention that you bought from a a real car dealer, they get bent. I'm not saying don't go to CarMax, just don't go to that one. Really think about it, would you spend $30,000 on a used car that you got to test drive for ten minutes tops because you had to take a predetermined course for your test drive?
I dont work for Carmax or live in Oswego...that just happened to be where the this forum put my location....And your alleged friend must be long retired from Hillside.

Im going to end this because you are misinformed and need to get your facts straight is my only point. Im not attacking you only the stories that you choose to make it sound like you know what your talking about, and throw in that you have a friend thats a "Hillside Cop" only makes it sound better. And there never a report filed by Menards stating that "7 figures" worth of stuff was stolen by employees.

Oak Brook, IL

#356 May 28, 2013
Then end it. For your info my "alleged" friend is one of three Hillside cops that I know and we all had a good laugh at your posts. I grew up there and have told numerous stories of growing up there. Are those lies? Yet you don't attack those. You just defend CarMax. What I find completely amazing is you telling me what happened on my test drive or why Menards closed. You're going to end this because you really went overboard defending CarMax and making yourself sound better by saying you work for the Hillside Police when clearly you don't. My "alleged" friends say you are definitely someone who works for CarMax and to let it go. They are sent there all the time for all sorts of stupid reasons. When I called my friend and asked about people in who work for The Hillside PD who live in Oswego now its I live in Franklin Park. Yeah OK, enough of your trolling. Let it go CarMax. You are the one changing stories not me. I stand behind my posts and have never changed any story in any of my 55 posts. You have two(well three with your Lombard one)and have already changed stories. Whatever's convenient for you. I never will. I was there in the car, you weren't. I know Menards little secret, you don't. I have three cops that back me up. You have nothing but a lie about working there. Do you have the sales numbers for the Hillside Menards? No. I do know that they did OK business because other then LeDonnes or Grainger you would have to drive miles to get supplies from experience. So end it and let the people who grew up there tell their stories. If you call me a liar I will defend myself. You are "attacking" me. That's what you did regardless of what you say. I defended myself. Since you can't disprove me or prove yourself, I do agree lets end this and let people tell their stories of growing up in the old "Hood". End your nonsense and let the people post about growing up and living there. You may learn something. I have and I most definitely grew up there. Did you? Hell I have a business in Bellwood. Am I lying about that?
viewer

Durango, CO

#357 Jun 12, 2013
who cares? You guys have hijacked this thread for months now with nothing of substance to add... let it go.
Hillside elementary

Hanover, Canada

#358 Jun 13, 2013
jimmyguitar wrote:
<quoted text>
HaHa.... I lived at 42 Howard.... our backyards almost touched. Small world! I probably was your paperboy if your family subscribed to the Proviso Herald! Married a girl who lived down the street from you.
Jimmy guitar, who was the girl down the street? I delivered the long defunct daily news, sun and trib for what felt like years but was likely only months. Why the guitar handle? Do you play...i do...maybe it was something in the water. Btw thanks Viewer, we all needed that.
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#359 Jun 13, 2013
viewer wrote:
who cares? You guys have hijacked this thread for months now with nothing of substance to add... let it go.
Only if you had seen what has happened to this area,you would not disagree.These great cities that were once our homes, busineses & schools are being taken over & destroyed by these criminals that were once locked up in the the loser Chicago Housing Projects that have been let loose into the once stable Suburbs of Western Cook County.Now we have to put up with their BS and taking over of our Communities.I grew up here for 0ver 50 years & can very well see that their is a serious problem here with the increasing crime & property negligence around here.Enjoy life in Colorado because the next problem you have will be the Mexican Minorities taking over your Community,see how you like it when they ruin your Town.This is an ignorant post by you & you do not live here anymore & should not have any opinion or input to this situation.America is falling apart because of these minorities & unless you are one of them you would not know it.Take a long walk over a short pier!

Location hidden

#360 Jun 13, 2013
It's social engineering or forced neighborhood integration, by use of Section 8 government housing assistance.....YOU ARE GETTING PHUCKED OVER WITH YOUR OWN TAX DOLLARS.....

Oak Brook, IL

#361 Jun 14, 2013
viewer wrote:
The name of the thread is "What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center?"
As for hijacking the thread you'll see that I have been posting for about a year and a half about many things on here.
It was only when I was accused of being a liar that I responded.
Believe me I have "let it go" but going back in the thread I see that you have never posted until now.
Perhaps you have some stories of the Hillside Shopping Center you would like to add?
Maybe some stories of growing up here?
Basically I was answering the name of the post.
What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center?
Now people know. That's all.

Oak Brook, IL

#362 Jun 14, 2013
Summers here and I'm going to try and get this thread back on track.
Who remembers when the carnival used to come to the Shopping Center parking lot?
If there was one thing that everybody looked forward to it was when the carnival came to town and set up shop in the shopping center parking lot.
I remember some crazy times at that carnival. For five days or so ending with a weekend it seemed that it was a mini Six Flags going on there. As a kid going into my teenage years it was like everyone was there. By everyone I mean basically the towns of Hillside, Berkeley, Bellwood and Westchester. There were the impossible to beat carnie games, the puke rides and the carnival food which would occasionally get hosed off of a ride. God help you if you were on one of those rides when someone let loose some corndogs. This was before "The Hillside Picnic" later named "The Taste of Hillside". Besides The "picnic" meant the end of summer while the carnival happened more in the middle of summer and was much more fun IMO. Besides me and my friends who else looked forward to the carnival at the Hillside Shopping Center?
Jimmy Guitar

Germantown, TN

#363 Jun 15, 2013
Hillside elementary wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmy guitar, who was the girl down the street? I delivered the long defunct daily news, sun and trib for what felt like years but was likely only months. Why the guitar handle? Do you play...i do...maybe it was something in the water. Btw thanks Viewer, we all needed that.
Her family name was Polacek. They left Ashbel and moved to Hillside Ave (near Butterfield) in 64/65.
Re:'the guitar handle'... yes, I've been playing professionally since 1970. No fame or fortune, just lots of work mixed with fun whenever possible!!! You?
When I first started delivering papers I delivered the Maywood Herald which later became the Proviso Herald. Did that for about 3-4 yrs. I also delivered the Trib and the Chicago American off and on over a couple of year period.
christine sterba

Vero Beach, FL

#365 Jun 21, 2013
bob 64 berkeley ill wrote:
no concetta it wasnt guidos it was alittle mom &pops store it was on st charles the north side and maybe three blocks east of taft ave
I believe it was on Howard St next street over from Ashbel. We used to call it the Little Store. Later it was converted converted to an Italian takeout.
christine sterba

Vero Beach, FL

#366 Jun 21, 2013
pete wrote:
i use to work at the woolworth store in 60's at the time i thought thier had to be something better to do but looking back it was probably one of the most fun jobs i ever had. every day was different every saturday we sold ice cream sandwiches for .09 each and they flew out of there. the lunch counter was geat first time i ever had an apple dumpling. it was a great shopping center always busy and exciting always something going on. i can't believe it has diminished is there any one still around that use to work at woolworths lets hear from you
My aunt worked at Woolworths at Hillside Shopping Center.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2 Blue Island brothers in line for 6 government... (Nov '13) 5 hr Ben 47
Lenny Wawczak Courtroom Countdown 8 hr Kenny J Yo Daddy 43
Eugene Field School (Dec '08) 8 hr CandyGodfrey 8
George Smith child abduction trial? 11 hr Father of 3 12
Woman: Maywood cop 'took something from me' Mon Taxpayer for years 3
wawczak auto repair Mon Leynard 13
Square Celt Ale House and Grill to Open Monday ... Mon Craigggger 1
Darien Dating
Find my Match

Darien Jobs