What happened to the Hillside Shoppin...

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#223 Sep 23, 2012
Dan it is THAT bad. The reason you can't walk to Scotts to get fish food is Scotts closed. The best place to go for fish and fish supplies in the world and now they are closed. I used to live right over by Wolf and Butterfield. Drive up there, you'll see I'm telling the truth.(during the day) Lets sum up what happened to the Hillside mall. It is a Menards, Carmax and just for kicks what used to be the Bank of Hillside. That's whats left. A FAR CRY from what it was. If Carmax leaves it will be a Menards with the biggest parking lot of any Menards. Hell it already is. I'm telling you Hillside and Berkeley are pretty bad. I have friends who can't sell because their house values are crap. My one friend called the Berkeley police on the people next door who were trying to break into the electric meter box. It had a special square lock on it. When the PD came, it turned out the people were squatters. They just moved into a HUD house next to my friends house. Westchester is more a terrorist thing.(when we grew up in Hillside , we considered EVERYTHING south of 22nd Westchester - Westwood, HighRidge Parkway.) My buddy lived on Boeger until 10 years ago. His dad was a tough old WW2 vet and when the first different family moved in he said "there goes the block". On a different note I ran into someone I went to school with who is a Berkeley Cop at the Walmart in Villa Park. He was buying Speer Gold Dots. I said they make you buy your own ammo? He said no, they give us junk while every other PD uses these. Drive around Hillside and Berkeley and they tell me it's not THAT bad. It is and it's sad.

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#224 Sep 23, 2012
I mean we all grow up and move away. Everthing changes. That is just how life works. My point is its like
"Glory Days" but with dope, crime and guns. I know what a fully automatic AK sounds like. I never thought I would hear one by Gioacchino's on St Charles. I hate to be the buzzkill on this forum. I would give anything to re-live my Hillside days for just one day. I think we all would like to go back just for a day. It's just for the people who grew up in Hillside, Berkeley and Bellwood it is just plain depressing to see what happened to our old stomping grounds. We walked or rode our bikes everywhere. I mean serious foot mileage every day and night. Walk to Westdale Gardens from Berkeley or Hillside, not a second thought. Hang at the mall for the day, all the time. Now go to Mr. Sub on Mannheim and see how you feel about pulling out your wallet or eating in there. My neighbor works at Fed Ex back in the Narco-Hillside Center for Industry and said " Wow, you lived in a rough area". I said it wasn't always like that. I found an interesting but long article about Proviso West. When you drive by there now you see that the North parking lot is almost empty compared to the 80's when you couldn't get a spot. This article kind of puts things in perspective.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/29/magazine/we...

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#225 Sep 23, 2012
That article is 18 years old.
It has gotten much worse since then.

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#226 Oct 14, 2012
Not to beat a dead horse but reading todays Sun-Times I found out Menards is leaving. That leaves Carmax. The Menards is the only thing that is actually physically left of the old shopping center. If nobody moves in then there will be nothing left of the Hillside Shopping Center. Like I said the rumor mill is saying the Carmax is leaving. If and when that happens that will be one huge blank blacktop parking lot with nothing there to park for. Alright I have made the last four posts and I'm done. I think this topic has run it's course. I really just wanted the people who moved far away to know what really happened to our mall, neighborhood and high school.
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#227 Oct 14, 2012
High on a Hillside wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse but reading todays Sun-Times I found out Menards is leaving. That leaves Carmax. The Menards is the only thing that is actually physically left of the old shopping center. If nobody moves in then there will be nothing left of the Hillside Shopping Center. Like I said the rumor mill is saying the Carmax is leaving. If and when that happens that will be one huge blank blacktop parking lot with nothing there to park for. Alright I have made the last four posts and I'm done. I think this topic has run it's course. I really just wanted the people who moved far away to know what really happened to our mall, neighborhood and high school.
I have lived in Berkeley most of my life since the early 1960's & seen it all.You are so very right,it has become so depressing here to see the once fine community that you grew up in go to crap with the kind of people that have moved in here & taken over the homes of familiar friends & neighbors that you once knew so well and the the lost businesses that were once so vibrant here.I personally feel that our local Governments around here have let us down in allowing this kind of blight to take hold.Someday I plan to leave Berkeley and never come back to even to visit knowing what it will look like in the years to come.But one thing for sure that is, I will never forget The Hillside Shopping Center.
Dan

Oswego, IL

#228 Oct 14, 2012
I too, at 54 years old, will not forget the smell of popcorn, the Carsons basement with Christmas decorations-supplies, setup in december, the Woolworths that seemed gigantic and had everything, and the freaky little Goldblatts head shop complete with black light posters.
Annonomous

Schiller Park, IL

#229 Oct 15, 2012
Yes, Menards is closing in Hillside.

Since: Oct 12

Elmhurst, IL

#230 Nov 6, 2012
Dan wrote:
I too, at 54 years old, will not forget the smell of popcorn, the Carsons basement with Christmas decorations-supplies, setup in december, the Woolworths that seemed gigantic and had everything, and the freaky little Goldblatts head shop complete with black light posters.
Menard's closed on Friday November 11,2012.The building might escape the wrecking ball if any kind of worthwhile business moves into there but it is really doubtful.After all,who really needs a larger Carmax in Hillside anymore?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#231 Nov 6, 2012
Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>Menard's closed on Friday November 11,2012.The building might escape the wrecking ball if any kind of worthwhile business moves into there but it is really doubtful.After all,who really needs a larger Carmax in Hillside anymore?
November 11, 2012 is not here yet. Word is Car Max is going out also

Since: Oct 12

Elmhurst, IL

#232 Nov 6, 2012
Taxpayer for years wrote:
<quoted text>November 11, 2012 is not here yet. Word is Car Max is going out also
Sorry for the typo but Menard's closed on November 2,2012.R.I.P.
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#233 Dec 4, 2012
Ok, I grew up in Bellwood in the 60's does anyone remember the Tasty Freeze or some other little ice company that sat probably where the Dunk'n Donuts on (now Gioacchino's)is now on St. Charles. It would have been there 1965-66 or so. Just prior to the Dunk'n Donuts being built.

I'm not talking about the beef stand that was east of 51st Ave. across from St. John Chrysostom. That beef stand was close to the "Chatterbox" bar.
Scrubber59

Elmhurst, IL

#234 Dec 4, 2012
Bellwood Memories wrote:
Ok, I grew up in Bellwood in the 60's does anyone remember the Tasty Freeze or some other little ice company that sat probably where the Dunk'n Donuts on (now Gioacchino's)is now on St. Charles. It would have been there 1965-66 or so. Just prior to the Dunk'n Donuts being built.
I'm not talking about the beef stand that was east of 51st Ave. across from St. John Chrysostom. That beef stand was close to the "Chatterbox" bar.
The Ice Cream joint you are thinking about was called "Tahitian Treat".Man you are talking about a million years ago that the Dunkin Donuts was built.There was also an Enco Gas Station across the street from St. John Church on St. Charles Rd.in Bellwood. Gasoline at that time was down to 16.9 cents a gallon in 1968.My Grandfather filled up his 1965 AMC Rambler Classic for under $5.00 full service....remember"Put A Tiger In Your Tank"!
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#235 Dec 10, 2012
I definitely remember the Enco and "Put a Tiger In Your Tank" - Do remember the Sinclar Gas Station on the corner of St.Charles and 51 ST. Ave.? It then became Quint's Standard Gas Station in the mid to late 60's.

Thanks for the info on Tahitian Treat I remember the name now that you mentioned. Boy, a lot of time has passed!
SCRUBBER59

Elmhurst, IL

#236 Dec 11, 2012
Bellwood Memories wrote:
I definitely remember the Enco and "Put a Tiger In Your Tank" - Do remember the Sinclar Gas Station on the corner of St.Charles and 51 ST. Ave.? It then became Quint's Standard Gas Station in the mid to late 60's.
Thanks for the info on Tahitian Treat I remember the name now that you mentioned. Boy, a lot of time has passed!
WOW,I guess that I am really dating myself here.There is really no reason to end the blog here my friends,so lets talk.My Blow up Sinclair Dinosaur must have came from this Sinclair Gasoline Station in Bellwood,Il.at 51st & St.Charles Road in Bellwood.I had originally thought it might have come from the Sinclair Gas Station that was located in the outlot in the Hillside Shopping Center years ago when I was a little kid living on Speechley Blvd.in Berkeley.In the later years during the 1970's, a Union 76 Gasoline Station existed there.I think that the Sinclair Gas Staion from the Hillside Mall had moved to Ed's Westhill Sinclair Gas Station just west of Q's Pizzaria on Butterfield Rd.many years ago.The Union 76 Station in the Hillside Mall was torn down many years ago also...so much for the local Mom & Pop owned full service Gas Stations!
jimmyguitar

United States

#237 Dec 11, 2012
At one time there was a Sinclair station on the SW corner of Wolf Rd. and Butterfield Rd. It was catty-corner from Orgo's Restuarant. It did not last more than a couple of years before there was a name change. I don't remember if that coincided with the end of the Sinclair brand name but it seems like it was around that time.
The center had been open for a while so it may have been relocated from that area (and replaced by Carmi's Union 76.
My brother and I had those plastic blow-up dinosaurs too and that's where we got them from.
Dan

Carpentersville, IL

#238 Dec 11, 2012
The Union 76 station at Hillside mall was Carmen & Mikes.
Rich

Berkeley, IL

#239 Dec 14, 2012
I loved Wolworths and One Potato, Two at the mall.
Dean H

Los Angeles, CA

#240 Dec 24, 2012
I lived in Hillside and spent a zillion hours at the "Center". I remember it being an open air mall when I was really little, and they had metal mesh trash cans that said "Keep Hillside Clean". There was a furniture store there for a long time, I want to say L. Fish but I dunno. Allied Radio, Candies From Around the World, Woolworths and the record store was where I would hang out most. And also Tally Ho and the caramel corn place. Remember Sandy's Hamburgers? It later became a Playback stereo store. And before the Holiday Inn there was the Melody Top, which was a big tented auditorium where the Three Stooges once performed. Very sad to see what the mall has become.
Dan

Oswego, IL

#241 Dec 24, 2012
Dean H wrote:
I lived in Hillside and spent a zillion hours at the "Center". I remember it being an open air mall when I was really little, and they had metal mesh trash cans that said "Keep Hillside Clean". There was a furniture store there for a long time, I want to say L. Fish but I dunno. Allied Radio, Candies From Around the World, Woolworths and the record store was where I would hang out most. And also Tally Ho and the caramel corn place. Remember Sandy's Hamburgers? It later became a Playback stereo store. And before the Holiday Inn there was the Melody Top, which was a big tented auditorium where the Three Stooges once performed. Very sad to see what the mall has become.
I bet ya I still have the suit I bought at "Karrolls" or was it "Carrolls"?
Bellwood Memories

Wheaton, IL

#242 Dec 26, 2012
SCRUBBER59 wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW,I guess that I am really dating myself here.There is really no reason to end the blog here my friends,so lets talk.My Blow up Sinclair Dinosaur must have came from this Sinclair Gasoline Station in Bellwood,Il.at 51st & St.Charles Road in Bellwood.I had originally thought it might have come from the Sinclair Gas Station that was located in the outlot in the Hillside Shopping Center years ago when I was a little kid living on Speechley Blvd.in Berkeley.In the later years during the 1970's, a Union 76 Gasoline Station existed there.I think that the Sinclair Gas Staion from the Hillside Mall had moved to Ed's Westhill Sinclair Gas Station just west of Q's Pizzaria on Butterfield Rd.many years ago.The Union 76 Station in the Hillside Mall was torn down many years ago also...so much for the local Mom & Pop owned full service Gas Stations!
I forgot all about those blow-up Dino Dinosaurs but now that you mention them I remember we had one too. Getting old is no fun anyway, I now remember they had soap in the shape of Dino the Dinosaur also. Wow great memories growing up in a great town with outstanding communities all around.

PS: Just for the record the Beef Joint across from St. John's was Eve's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc (May '16) 2 hr Scam McScammer 442
As it should be heard!! Sat Robert Thomas 16
Moving to Lemont but I hear about bad things Jul 18 John Caliendo Pla... 7
Brer Rabbit "Motel" (Dec '11) Jul 13 Unknown 5
Keith Roberts (Jul '15) Jul 11 Bhs 2014 graduate 25
News Bacci Pizzeria owner accused of hiring gang to ... (Sep '08) Jul 6 Chef boyardee 124
News Downers Grove man charged after Darien Wal-Mart... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Go Blue Forever 1

Darien Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Darien Mortgages