Costumed dead tree a Downers Grove la...

Costumed dead tree a Downers Grove landmark

There are 27 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 2, 2008, titled Costumed dead tree a Downers Grove landmark. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Much to the embarrassment of his kids, it's time once again for Sam Orticelli to dress up the dead tree in his front yard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Herself the Elf

Darien, IL

#1 Dec 2, 2008
You're absolutely right, it sure brings a smile to my face! I love the summer hula girl and can't wait to see the elf costume! Thanks for all the hard work you put into it. It is really unique!
Russ Williams

Woodridge, IL

#2 Dec 2, 2008
We love your tree. Merry Christmas Treesa!

Since: Feb 08

Coal City, IL

#3 Dec 2, 2008
I'm glad I'm not his neighbor. I think it's in really poor taste and is nothing but an eyesore. But it's his property and if he likes it then I don't have a problem with it unless people are in fact pulling off the road to take pictures of it. There's really no shoulder on Fairview at this location so if he's creating a traffic hazard then that's a problem.
Debbie - Darien

Aurora, IL

#4 Dec 2, 2008
Thank you for decorating that tree Sam! I drive down Fairview Ave. just to see what you've done to it lately. And tell you kids to get over themselves and enjoy it as much as you do.
We Love it!
JoAnna

Hinsdale, IL

#5 Dec 2, 2008
Great story. A picture of Tressa would be nice.
Angel

Palos Heights, IL

#6 Dec 2, 2008
So did Orticelli finally give up on selling the house? Last time I drove past I noticed the signs were gone. If it weren't for the stump, I might have considered, the house is in a good location.
akc

Darien, IL

#7 Dec 2, 2008
i live nearby and we drive by all the time and my family LOVES "tree lady" (now we know her name is treesa). my kids look forward to see her newest look. as someone who lives in a place w/a very vanilla homeowners assoc., i appreciate your outlook and love your tree sam!!!! someday when your kids have their own kids and your kids do something goofy, your grandkids will groan about being embarrassed by them.
fuzzy

United States

#8 Dec 2, 2008
my wife and i will be cutting down a locus in front of our house soon,,good job sam! your proving that there's life after death!
Commodore Perry

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 2, 2008
Nothing a chain saw in the night won't fix.;) it's comming.
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#10 Dec 2, 2008
I guess it would be asking too much to expect a picture?
Commodore Perry

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 2, 2008
Reality wrote:
I guess it would be asking too much to expect a picture?
You would think, that would be important.
Linda

Chicago, IL

#12 Dec 2, 2008
No photo? This is the reason I stopped buying the Tribune- no photos to accompany articles that call for one! I can "imagine this" online for free!
Annoyed

Lombard, IL

#13 Dec 2, 2008
So ... What is the address of this dressed-up tree? To the kids ... when you are old and decrepit and dad is gone, you will appreciate this tree.
Huh

Chicago, IL

#14 Dec 2, 2008
There is a photo online with this story, The address or at least the block number would be helpful.
Huh

Chicago, IL

#15 Dec 2, 2008
There is a photo online with this story. The Address or block number would be nice.
Commodore Perry

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 2, 2008
pic did not come up when i went to the story twice. that is an eye sore, get the chain saws.
Lynn - DG Resident

Stamford, CT

#18 Dec 2, 2008
Annoyed wrote:
So ... What is the address of this dressed-up tree? To the kids ... when you are old and decrepit and dad is gone, you will appreciate this tree.
I'm not sure of the exact address, but it's on Fairview Avenue just south of 55th Street. It caught my eye a few years ago when I was returning home after some errands.
Jackie Daughter

Seynod, France

#19 Dec 2, 2008
Dad, I love your tree and I loved helping you decorate it this year....(Yes everyone, I appreciate the dad's tree work and was 110% involved in the painting-with or without the shopping haha). The elf idea was all mine.
To the comment about an eyesore, thankfully, you aren't our neighbors.:) Treesa is FABULOUS
Pat from South Bend

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Dec 2, 2008
Sammy, you've always been a creative genius.

Pat R
concerned

United States

#21 Dec 2, 2008
Sorry, I think it is an eyesore. I also remember when the house was for sale. He wanted too much and that thing in the front yard would not bring the buyers running.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
One less thug in the world Jan 13 Enter Username 10
Gangs (May '08) Jan 12 Jan 27
They be gone Jan 11 Make America Grea... 1
News Bacci Pizzeria owner accused of hiring gang to ... (Sep '08) Jul '17 Chef boyardee 124
News Downers Grove man charged after Darien Wal-Mart... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Go Blue Forever 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Kathleen A. Weaver as Mayor? (Sep '14) Nov '15 Trolls without bo... 4
News Willowbrook teen charged with hate crime in Dar... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Bodi Lal Ram 1

Darien Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Darien Mortgages