Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Technology Girl

Bethesda, MD

#2 Feb 27, 2008
I will never forget our beloved Christopher, glad our little baby angel is resting in peace!
April Keller

Brunswick, GA

#3 Feb 28, 2008
This wil be a hard day for us.He touched our lives so much and we didn't even know him.For the family it will be to awful to think about,but Mike and Paula and the whole family already knew he was special know the whole world knows.
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Feb 29, 2008
Caring Mom,

It goes without saying. Christopher will never be forgotten. My son's birthday is march 10, and I remember last year at his party I had Christpher on my mind the whole time, and was grateful to god that I was blessed to spend this time with my baby, that I was able to see him turn 13 and there are so many parents out there that lose their babies and don't get to experiece that. God be those parents, all of them world wide that lose their children so soon. Chris will always be loved and thought of by me and my family and friends. His death, and his life touched so many hearts. How can a complete stranger, a little boy make such a difference in so many? He is with the angels now, and watching over us all. I believe that.
Brunswick Girl

Brunswick, GA

#5 Mar 2, 2008
Christopher will not be forgotten. He has touched so many lives and hearts in the past year. We will never forget him!

Since: Mar 07

BRUNSWICK, GA

#6 Mar 3, 2008
Never forgotten-no matter how many days go by-you're always in my thoughts and prayers. I will never forget you Christopher.
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Mar 4, 2008
remembering Christopher today and always
Debhes x27 -Brunswick GA

AOL

#8 Mar 5, 2008

UPDATE From Brunswick News article
Barrios memorial endures PART 1

Mon, Mar 3, 2008 by Emily Stranger

A basket full of Easter eggs, a ceramic Santa Claus and dozens of plush toys lie withered and molded beneath a large wooden shrine on Canal Road in north Glynn County.

Each symbolizes a holiday that has passed without 6-year-old Christopher Michael Barrios – the elementary school student who was allegedly abducted and killed March 8, 2007, by three adults who lived down the street from him on Horseshoe Lane in north Glynn County.

Friday will mark the one year anniversary of the disappearance of Christopher and the search it triggered that made national headlines while bringing a community together in hope and prayer. It was the beginning of a six-day hunt that concluded with a disheartening discovery.

Sam Wood, who helped search for the C.B. Greer student with other volunteers, constructed the memorial in the very spot where Christopher Barrios' body was found wrapped in a black plastic trash bag on the side of Canal Road on March 14, 2007. A wooden cross and flowers also mark the area.

Memories of the child's abduction and murder remain in the minds of those who helped police scan the woods and grounds around Canal Road Trailer Park – where Christopher resided in a mobile home with his father, Michael, and step-family – for almost a week.

"I think we still feel the loss of his presence," said Wood, who lives at 681 Canal Road, across the street from Horseshoe Lane, where Christopher was allegedly abducted, molested and strangled.

"This neighborhood will never be the same."
He's right. A lot has changed since two rangers with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources found Christopher's lifeless body behind the Brunswick Golden Isles Airport.

The dirt parking lot at 700 Canal Road, where volunteers gathered to pray and organize searches for Barrios, is now paved with concrete and is the site of a business, Canal Road Self Storage.

Debhes x27 -Brunswick GA

AOL

#9 Mar 5, 2008
PART 2:
The mobile home where the child was allegedly murdered, 121 Horseshoe Lane, has been removed from the Canal Road Trailer Park.

The three family members accused of the crime – David Edenfield, his wife, Peggy, and the couple's son, George – remain in jail. David Edenfield and George Edenfield face the death penalty. Peggy Edenfield, who has agreed to testify against her spouse and son in exchange for her life, faces life in prison.

The man accused of helping to hide the body, Donald Dale, may soon reach a plea agreement with the state. A friend of the family, Dale was originally charged with tampering with evidence and helping to hide the body. He could have faced up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

The state agreed to drop those charges against him in exchange for a guilty but retarded plea and a plea to one count of lying to police. The plea bargain is pending the results of a mental health evaluation. If approved, Dale would be sent to a mental health facility instead of prison for five years.

"He's still in jail, but we're working towards getting his portion of this case resolved," said Dale's attorney, John Wetzler, Friday. "He's completed the mental evaluation and hopefully the rest of his case will be dealt with fairly quickly."

No trial dates have been set for any of the Edenfields, whose defense attorneys are held up by the lack of indigent defense funding that's plaguing the whole state.

Stephen Kelley, district attorney of the Brunswick Judicial Circuit, said it is frustrating.

"We're waiting to see what the legislature does as far as the funding issue because right now the defense lawyers can't hire their own experts," he said. "We're hoping the legislature will get things resolved soon so we can get these cases tried as soon as possible."

While Kelley is waiting, Sam Wood is thinking about what to do with the memorial on Canal Road. He might dismantle it, though it's nothing definite yet.

"I've been thinking I might take (the memorial) down," Wood told The News on Friday. "I've heard it bothers some of the children who still live around here. It is a constant reminder that one of their friends was murdered."

He doesn't like thinking that the memorial might bring pain to some, but if he takes it down, he would want to replace it with something else – something that would keep the memory of Christopher Michael Barrios alive.

"I'm thinking about planting a memorial tree," he said.

Technology Girl

Bethesda, MD

#10 Mar 6, 2008
Looked at his "Christopher’s" pictures last night. thought about how on the days before he was taken how happy go lucky he must have been, how free and happy he was to be with his family and friends. Thought about how those monsters in a instant took his joy, however, they only stole and destroyed his body, they could not touch his sweet soul. GOD had his finger prints all over little Christopher Barrios.
Technology Girl

Bethesda, MD

#11 Mar 6, 2008
Rest in peace Baby Love
fearnot

Huntsville, AL

#12 Mar 8, 2008
Little Christopher your life and death has come full circle, as you now abide with The Resurrection I say Goodnite until I and all our God and Father's other Children greet with you in The New Heaven and The New Earth.

Since: Jun 07

Urbana, MD.

#13 Mar 11, 2008
Hi Little Angel, this week has been really tough for all of us. We miss You so Dearly. We will never forget You.

Looking forward to the day that we meet in Heaven. Knowing that You are forever safe from any other harm, makes time a little easier to pass.

May God continue to Bless the entire family of Christopher Michael Barrios Jr.
Saddened

Fitzgerald, GA

#14 Mar 14, 2008
No one can understand the pain this family must feel unless they've experienced a loss like this. However, anyone with a heart must know how devistating this must be. My heart goes out to this family. Christopher touched so many lives. He truly was and is an "ANGEL". Rest in peace. God had more for you than this earth could give.

“Watch out for kids”

Since: Jul 07

Washington, DC

#15 Mar 17, 2008
No time for justice

Sat, Mar 15, 2008

By EMILY STRANGER

The Brunswick News

It was March 15, 2007, when police found the body of 6-year-old Christopher Michael Barrios Jr. in a black trash bag on the side of Canal Road in north Glynn County.

One year later, it is anyone's guess when those arrested and charged in his kidnapping, molestation and murder – David Edenfield, his wife, Peggy Edenfield, and their adult son, George Edenfield – will go to trial.

Christopher Barrios, a kindergartner at C.B. Greer Elementary School, was strangled to death March 8, 2007. His body was found by searchers one week later.

The three Edenfields remain incarcerated. George Edenfield and David Edenfield are in the Glynn County Detention Center. Peggy was transferred to a detention facility in Ware County after she agreed to testify against her husband and son in a bid to escape a possible death penalty.

There are still countless legal procedures that both the state and the defense must go through before a trial date is set, said District Attorney Stephen Kelley.

Kelley is the lead prosecutor in all three cases.

"Once we're through with that, they have the right to appeal to the Georgia Supreme Court, which could throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing," Kelley said.
If that happens, Kelley said it could delay the cases by another six months to a year.

Both David Edenfield and George Edenfield face the death penalty for their alleged involvement in the killing. That has created a major road bump in both cases because money for public defenders in Georgia is tight.

David Edenfield's attorney, James Yancey, is having trouble finding the funds to pay for the expert witnesses he says he will need to defend his client.

Budget cuts last year for the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council, which provides the funding to attorneys like Yancey, have been blamed for delaying death penalty trials across the state.

The death penalty case for Brian Nichols, accused in the Atlanta courthouse killings in March 2005, is also blamed for depleting the Public Defenders Standards Council's budget of over $1.8 million.

During a pretrial hearing last November, Yancey told Glynn County Superior Court Judge Stephen Scarlett, who is presiding over the trials, that he had not received any payment for his services.

Four months later, the story is the same.

"I still haven't been paid," Yancey said Wednesday.

Richard Allen, who is defending Peggy Edenfield, said funding is no longer an issue for him because the state agreed not to seek the death penalty in her case as long as she testifies against her husband and son.

She is still facing up to life in prison for her alleged involvement in the murder.

"Since her case is no longer a death penalty case,(the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council) has straightened up with me," Allen said.

Allen said the funding situation is causing problems not just in Glynn county but for other death penalty lawyers across the state.

"Lawyers all over the state are going nuts from not being paid," he said.

Kelley says Donald Dale, who was accused of helping the Edenfields hide Christopher's body and lying to police, will go before a judge soon. Kelley has told Dale's lawyer, John Wetzler, that he will agree to a plea agreement if Dale is proven to be mentally challenged.

Dale would plead guilty, but retarded, to a single charge of lying to police and be sent to a mental health facility. He would also be permanently expelled from Glynn County.

Dale has undergone the psychiatric evaluations, as requested by Wetzler, who will present the information to Scarlett in a future hearing. No date for that hearing has been announced.

It will be up to the Scarlett to assess the evaluations and sign off on any plea agreement.
BerNadett Leal

AOL

#16 Apr 19, 2008
To the family of the beautiful boy Christopher: You are all in my prayers; and remember what God's holy Word says: Vengence is mine saith the Lord. Justice will be found in favor of this beautiful child. And to sweet Christopher; may you rest in peace Angel. Kiss my mom and my four dogs for me. To a beautiful little boy who has touched the hearts and lives of many strangers. God bless you forever.
Nicole

Coopersburg, PA

#17 Apr 28, 2008
To Christophers family....I am still thinking of your beautiful little angel and praying for your family.

Since: Jun 07

Urbana, MD.

#18 Apr 29, 2008
Am I going crazy, or are there a few entries that are missing from this thread. What happened to them? Why were they removed? I did not see anything improper.

We need as many entries as possible to keep the memory of Christopher Michael Barrios Jr. alive forever and ever.

May God continue to Bless Christopher and his entire family.
GA Mom

AOL

#19 May 5, 2008
Keeping you on top where you belong! Gone but never forgotten...
Ga Mom

Brunswick, GA

#20 Jun 17, 2008
Christopher to the top.
Pam_mom_of_an_an gel

AOL

#21 Jun 24, 2008
now i've just read that dale's atty is pulling out all kinds of bullsh*t to get dale out of his trial.
whining that the police said dale shouldnt breed.
OMG no kidding!!! but what does THAT fact have to do with his trial??????????
is this family and Christopher ever going to see any kind of justice???
it doesnt look like it! not that there is any justice for what happened to this lil sweetfaced boy-- but come on America!!!!!!!!
oh i'm so angry i can barely type.
and now the DA's office says thats it's a burdon for go to trial for Dale?!!! WTF?!!!!!!!
can anyone come up with any email addy's for the judge and/or the DA's office?
i have tons of online friends that would LOVE to mail these people and fight for Christopher!!!
xoxo, Pam
angel kelli's mom @
www.myspace.com/kelli_laine_doa

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 4 min Synergy 53,369
Debate: Gay Marriage - Hinesville, GA (Aug '10) Fri Local lady 59
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Aug 28 Pfffft 185
might be moving to Brunswick Aug 26 whimzy 1
where's all the weed at? (Jan '14) Aug 21 The Truth 9
Men Wearing Thongs (Sep '08) Aug 18 CFM 240
Does anyone know Jason Carlin (Aug '13) Aug 16 marcuswade 5
•••
•••
•••

Darien Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••