After posting in this thread for months, itís obvious the gap between Conservatives and Liberals is so huge it will never be bridged. We here on topix are just a micronism of what we see on the national level and in our elected officials.
I have also found by being involved on topix, I have become more or less obsessive/compulsive in posting so I have decided to take a hiatus from topix for the moral good of my soul. When one becomes so absorbed in politics where it affects oneís moral compass, the effort is not worth it. My life does NOT revolve around politics; I just get sucked into it occasionally.
I have great faith in conservative principles as they have stood the test of time, not so the liberal principles.
Iím giving a top ten list of conservative principles along with a top ten list of liberal principles.
And finally Iím giving a top ten list of philosophical principles.
Maybe some of you can discern some similarity in these principles, maybe not.
Web link: http://www.kirkcenter.org/index.php/detail/te...
First, the conservative believes that there exists an enduring moral order.
Second, the conservative adheres to custom, convention, and continuity.
Third, conservatives believe in what may be called the principle of prescription.
Fourth, conservatives are guided by their principle of prudence.
Fifth, conservatives pay attention to the principle of variety.
Sixth, conservatives are chastened by their principle of imperfectability.
Seventh, conservatives are persuaded that freedom and property are closely linked.
Eighth, conservatives uphold voluntary community, quite as they oppose involuntary collectivism.
Ninth, the conservative perceives the need for prudent restraints upon power and upon human passions.
Tenth, the thinking conservative understands that permanence and change must be recognized and reconciled in a vigorous society.
Liberal principles, note some of these principles have changed to day due to socialist influence::
Web link;; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-r-ston...
1. Liberals believe individuals should doubt their own truths and consider fairly and open-mindedly the truths of others.
2. Liberals believe individuals should be tolerant and respectful of difference.
3. Liberals believe individuals have both a right and a responsibility to participate in public debate.
4. Liberals believe "we the people" are the governors and not the subjects of government, and that government must treat each person with that in mind.
5. Liberals believe government must respect and affirmatively safeguard the liberty, equality and dignity of each individual.
6. Liberals believe government has a fundamental responsibility to help those who are less fortunate.
7. Liberals believe government should never act on the basis of sectarian faith.
8. Liberals believe courts have a special responsibility to protect individual liberties.
9. Liberals believe government must protect the safety and security of the people, for without such protection liberalism is impossible.
10. Liberals believe government must protect the safety and security of the people, without unnecessarily sacrificing constitutional values.
Web link;; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/artic...
1. THE HARM PRINCIPLE
2. THE PRINCIPLE OF SUFFICIENT REASON
3. THE MEAN
4. THE FALSIFICATION PRINCIPLE
5. OUGHT IMPLIES CAN
6. THE PRINCIPLE OF EVIDENCE
7. THE PRINCIPLE OF CHARITY
8. THE DIFFERENCE PRINCIPLE
9. JUST WAR
10. OCCAM'S RAZOR
To the conservatives on topix, stand fast and live by your principles.
To the liberals, good riddance.