Informed Opinion

United States

#3449 Feb 16, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>So which has a better return to the overall economy, the money invested in those "non-risky" investments like Treasury bonds (which results in no growth to the economy), or the money invested with the small entrepreneur who may go out of business, thus losing your investment, or who may have a successful restaurant that employs a dozen, opens a second restaurant and employs another dozen and eventually has a chain and employs hundreds. Which has the long term best benefit to the economy? The government does not and cannot grow the economy in any real sense. It is the small business that is the engine that truly drives this economy.
T-Bills

Investors who buy T-Bills increase the supply of money available to the government, thereby reducing the interest rate the government pays to borrow money.

It's called supply and demand.

Increased supply means lowers price per unit.

That means lowered government costs, lowered deficit, and lowered debt.
uninformed opinion

Anniston, AL

#3450 Feb 16, 2013
ChicknButt wrote:
Republicans are anti-nipples!
That's right. You can't make this stuff up.
See the proposed Republican-sponsored legislation yourself right here:
http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/Bills/House/HT...
Yet another reason to vote Democratic.
ur wife likes likes 2 show them.

Blairsville, GA

#3451 Feb 16, 2013
ChicknButt wrote:
I'd dare say that law will never get past a court challenge based on federal law prohibiting sexual discrimination.

It's just another stupid-ass attempt to keep women in bondage, and by bondage, I don't mean BDSM.

Blairsville, GA

#3452 Feb 16, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
T-Bills
Investors who buy T-Bills increase the supply of money available to the government, thereby reducing the interest rate the government pays to borrow money.
It's called supply and demand.
Increased supply means lowers price per unit.
That means lowered government costs, lowered deficit, and lowered debt.
It's still borrowed money on which interest must be paid and when they're cashed, the government must borrow more to pay up.
ChicknButt

Decatur, GA

#3453 Feb 16, 2013
uninformed opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
ur wife likes likes 2 show them.
Too bad about you being brain-dead. You'll never be half the man your mother is.
Columbus Native

Oklahoma City, OK

#3454 Feb 16, 2013
Does anyone know who is running for Senate 2014 Georgia?
Larry Swanson

Blairsville, GA

#3455 Feb 16, 2013
ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad about you being brain-dead. You'll never be half the man your mother is.
Monkey Bread has been around forever, most people remember having it when they were kids. Fond memories of the house filling up with the smell of cinnamon followed by eating a sticky treat with your fingers makes the delicious Monkey Bread a certified comfort food.
Shoes on the other foot

Blairsville, GA

#3456 Feb 16, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
So which has a better return to the overall economy, the money invested in those "non-risky" investments like Treasury bonds (which results in no growth to the economy), or the money invested with the small entrepreneur who may go out of business, thus losing your investment, or who may have a successful restaurant that employs a dozen, opens a second restaurant and employs another dozen and eventually has a chain and employs hundreds. Which has the long term best benefit to the economy? The government does not and cannot grow the economy in any real sense. It is the small business that is the engine that truly drives this economy.
And what about the many other business that started up and failed? You must realize the failure rates are fairly high for new businesses. Not every business investment accomplishes what your example does. And I didn't suggest that "treasury bonds" were the only form of "stable" investment.

As for the government growing the economy, be very clear, I do agree with you. It's up to entrepreneurs to do so.(We all know the government can't even balance its own checkbook, how can they grow the economy?)

However, I'm just not sure why the working man has to "subsidize" investors by giving them lower tax rates...

I myself am for business taking risks with their own money - I have done so myself, starting my own business after working for others in the private sector for over 20 years. So obviously, I believe in capitalism (and I certainly know risk, that much I can assure you).

Apparently you missed that my comments here were rather academic. One argument says giving investors tax breaks will increase investment, while another view might be that giving investors who put money into more stable investments would insure financial stability. I'm sure that compelling arguments could be made for each view, and a dozen other ideas.

Let's all face it, people with surplus cash will always seek to invest their money for a return - the government doesn't need to give them an incentive to do so.

(And extrapolating on that idea, maybe the government should give cash bonuses (or tax breaks) to the employable-unemployed who actually take the initiative to find a job - it's the same line of reasoning.)

Blairsville, GA

#3457 Feb 16, 2013
Columbus Native wrote:
Does anyone know who is running for Senate 2014 Georgia?
They're all alike, so what's the difference? They run for public office for the same reason you look for a job, only their's pays a whole lot more, over and especially under the table.
we know

Gibson, GA

#3458 Feb 16, 2013
ChicknButt wrote:
Censorship has made it to America...it's about time. The Grammy's recent implemented dress code is proof. As long as I don't have to wear a burqa, I'm okay with this bill..... I don't want to watch you breastfeed your babies....Now, when it's Hunger Games time, I'll understand.
Informed Opinion

Alva, FL

#3459 Feb 16, 2013
Image wrote:
<quoted text>It's still borrowed money on which interest must be paid and when they're cashed, the government must borrow more to pay up.
Agreed.

It lowers the interest rate paid, which lowers the cost of the deficit, which lowers the debt.

We just get to repay less than we otherwise would.
Informed Opinion

Alva, FL

#3460 Feb 16, 2013
Columbus Native wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, folks like you believed in Vietnam,Iraq, and if you could Iran. Keep sucking on that bottle of koolaid made at Haliburton's main office.
Great post.

There's somebody, somewhere, that poses a danger to people who don't care enough to protect themselves.

Why should they when as long as they take the money from the CIA, and do business with the right people, America will bankrupt itself, and send our kids to die for them.
Larry Swanson

Blairsville, GA

#3461 Feb 16, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post.
There's somebody, somewhere, that poses a danger to people who don't care enough to protect themselves.
Why should they when as long as they take the money from the CIA, and do business with the right people, America will bankrupt itself, and send our kids to die for them.
For a sturdy fence or structure, start with level, properly set posts. Whether your posts are for a fence to protect a vegetable garden or the support for an arbor or clothesline, the techniques for setting posts is the same. Start with weather treated posts, dig a hole deep enough to hold 1/3 the length of your post and check the vertical level of your post continuously. As you plan your project, leave plenty of time for the concrete to cure properly.
jeb stuart

Baxley, GA

#3462 Feb 16, 2013
Larry Swanson wrote:
<quoted text>
For a sturdy fence or structure, start with level, properly set posts. Whether your posts are for a fence to protect a vegetable garden or the support for an arbor or clothesline, the techniques for setting posts is the same. Start with weather treated posts, dig a hole deep enough to hold 1/3 the length of your post and check the vertical level of your post continuously. As you plan your project, leave plenty of time for the concrete to cure properly.
i can speak about this:concrete is a poor way to set a post(at least,a wooden one.over time,the wood srinks and leaves a reservoir for water and rot).a much better option is gravel(water seeps through it)another alternative is sand.concrete is a quick fix,but poor longterm choice.i usually charge a fee for stuff like this,but you seem like a nice guy.
Shoes on the other foot

Blairsville, GA

#3463 Feb 16, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>i can speak about this:concrete is a poor way to set a post(at least,a wooden one.over time,the wood srinks and leaves a reservoir for water and rot).a much better option is gravel(water seeps through it)another alternative is sand.concrete is a quick fix,but poor longterm choice.i usually charge a fee for stuff like this,but you seem like a nice guy.
So there actually is a bigger dumb*ss than this Larry Swanson poster... amazing.
jeb stuart

Baxley, GA

#3464 Feb 16, 2013
Shoes on the other foot wrote:
<quoted text>
So there actually is a bigger dumb*ss than this Larry Swanson poster... amazing.
yeah there is,but does that really make you proud of yourself?
jeb stuart

Baxley, GA

#3465 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
no wonder folks can't find a job.i would'nt hire you are larry to dig a ditch-much less build a fence!
Shoes on the other foot

Blairsville, GA

#3466 Feb 16, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>no wonder folks can't find a job.i would'nt hire you are larry to dig a ditch-much less build a fence!
I believe it would be more likely that I would be hiring you as a day laborer. But keep on trying to make people think otherwise if it makes you feel better about yourself.
jeb stuart

Baxley, GA

#3467 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
And what about the many other business that started up and failed? You must realize the failure rates are fairly high for new businesses. Not every business investment accomplishes what your example does. And I didn't suggest that "treasury bonds" were the only form of "stable" investment.
As for the government growing the economy, be very clear, I do agree with you. It's up to entrepreneurs to do so.(We all know the government can't even balance its own checkbook, how can they grow the economy?)
However, I'm just not sure why the working man has to "subsidize" investors by giving them lower tax rates...
I myself am for business taking risks with their own money - I have done so myself, starting my own business after working for others in the private sector for over 20 years. So obviously, I believe in capitalism (and I certainly know risk, that much I can assure you).
Apparently you missed that my comments here were rather academic. One argument says giving investors tax breaks will increase investment, while another view might be that giving investors who put money into more stable investments would insure financial stability. I'm sure that compelling arguments could be made for each view, and a dozen other ideas.
Let's all face it, people with surplus cash will always seek to invest their money for a return - the government doesn't need to give them an incentive to do so.
(And extrapolating on that idea, maybe the government should give cash bonuses (or tax breaks) to the employable-unemployed who actually take the initiative to find a job - it's the same line of reasoning.)
please,no more "extrapolating"- it's giving me a headache!
jeb stuart

Baxley, GA

#3468 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I believe it would be more likely that I would be hiring you as a day laborer. But keep on trying to make people think otherwise if it makes you feel better about yourself.
friend,i kinda doubt that we would ever be workin' togeather either.but i gotta say,as much as i may disagree with bill and his politics- he does know his stuff when it comes to taxes.and God knows i hate to use one of his favorite words,but you are truely 'clueless' when it comes to building,construction,etc,.but try this,see if you can somehow incorporate the word "minizimar" into your next post.it may make it more convincing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cornerstone christian correspondence school dip... (Apr '10) 21 hr ejayveon 119
Trial for (JR) Byron Nail (Aug '09) Nov 25 lynn 35
darien Nov 9 please 1
Motion picture studio comes to Brunswick Nov 6 movieguy 1
Bubba Garcias above the law? (Apr '11) Nov 5 Danny Noonan 4
Missing dog Nov 2 Josh Roberson 2
Say goodbye to Senior Week (Feb '08) Nov 2 Josh Roberson 6
Darien Dating
Find my Match

Darien People Search