Norwalk man arrested in OxyContin theft

Norwalk man arrested in OxyContin theft

There are 54 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from Jul 28, 2008, titled Norwalk man arrested in OxyContin theft. In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

Police arrested a Norwalk man in connection with the theft of more than $50,000 worth of OxyContin and Percocet pills from Greib's Pharmacy in Darien, where he once worked.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Not surprised

United States

#1 Jul 29, 2008
When I first moved to Darien, I had a prescription for a narcotic painkiller filled at Greib's. Exactly one month after I had it filled, my doctor called me concerned. She said that if I already needed a refill on the narcotic, then we needed to figure out a different form of pain management for my migraines -- she said I was taking too much. I had no idea what she was talking about. She said that Greib's had called her saying I wanted a refill. I had done no such thing.

I called Greib's and inquired. They said that someone must have provided the wrong prescription number. So, I called my doc back, and she said "no way." She said that the guy had called her and said "Mrs. Mylastname came by to refill her painkiller. Isn't she a nice lady, etc. etc." My doctor was convinced that an insider at the pharmacy was trying to refill and convert my prescription to his own use.

I called Greib's again. They were completely unhelpful, and pretended that I was making a mountain out of a molehill. I believe my doctor called them, too.

So, I briefly considered calling the police and did not. The reason I had used this pharmacy in the first place was because I really wanted to patronize the local, independent pharmacy. I didn't want to hurt them, even though I was extremely suspicious. Of course, I never went back.

Anyway, I don't wish Greib's any ill. The only reason I'm writing this is out of curiosity. I wonder if this had happened to anyone else there. Anyone?
Stamford

United States

#2 Jul 29, 2008
Wow that is one interesting story. It's too bad that Greib's didn't take your concerns seriously. We partionize the pharmacy as well. You would think that with the type of perscription they would have given your situation more attention.

I hope in the future they are more diligent with customer's concerns.

“Mamma Dukes”

Since: Jun 08

Stamford

#3 Jul 29, 2008
Not surprised: you don't state what kind of meds they are and having it refilled in 30 days seems more the norm. Also, you say you called Griebs, but did you speak to a pharmacist?

Qudos to your doc for contacting you.

Typically, if a patient needs a refill, and no refills are left, a pharmacy will fax the doctor, so there would be a record of it. At least, that is what Hope Street Pharmacy does.

Just because someone was arrested for stealing oxycontin, doesn't mean that you can then accuse them of trying to refill narcotics for thier own use!
Huh

Staten Island, NY

#4 Jul 29, 2008
Proud Mamma wrote:
Just because someone was arrested for stealing oxycontin, doesn't mean that you can then accuse them of trying to refill narcotics for thier own use!
When you look at the article and the above persons' story, the pieces seem to fit, do they not?

“Mamma Dukes”

Stamford

#5 Jul 29, 2008
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
When you look at the article and the above persons' story, the pieces seem to fit, do they not?
No, they do not. It appears that an employee - not a pharmacist - went in after hours and took $50,000 worth of pills to sell. Refills are peanuts in comparison. It was ONE person, ONE employee - not the pharmacy - or the pharmacists!
Really

Stamford, CT

#6 Jul 29, 2008
Proud Mamma wrote:
<quoted text>
...It was ONE person, ONE employee - not the pharmacy - or the pharmacists!
How do you know it wasn't the pharmacist? are you privy to facts that we are not aware of? An "employee" can be anyone from the cleaning crew on up to the pharmacist. I wouldn't exclude anyone until the investigation is over.

“Mamma Dukes”

Stamford

#7 Jul 29, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know it wasn't the pharmacist? are you privy to facts that we are not aware of? An "employee" can be anyone from the cleaning crew on up to the pharmacist. I wouldn't exclude anyone until the investigation is over.
Because 1 - there's no way a 22-year-old is a Pharmacist; and 2 - there is no way a Pharmacist who put in 6 years for a degree is going to something like this.

Since: Jul 08

Morristown, NJ

#8 Jul 29, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the article: It couldn't have been the pharmacist - the guy they arrested was only 22 years old!
Really

Stamford, CT

#9 Jul 29, 2008
Proud Mamma wrote:
<quoted text>
Because 1 - there's no way a 22-year-old is a Pharmacist; and 2 - there is no way a Pharmacist who put in 6 years for a degree is going to something like this.
You are either really naive or really dumb.

“Mamma Dukes”

Stamford

#10 Jul 29, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You are either really naive or really dumb.
I'm not either. You cannot make a claim that refills were being requested (without the knowledge of the patient) based on this article.

That's insurance fraud, etc.

Furthermore, I highly doubt a Pharmacist would put his career on the line for $50,000 worth of pills. They make over $120,000 per year.

Since: Jul 08

Morristown, NJ

#11 Jul 29, 2008
Not surprised wrote:
When I first moved to Darien, I had a prescription for a narcotic painkiller filled at Greib's. Exactly one month after I had it filled, my doctor called me concerned. She said that if I already needed a refill on the narcotic, then we needed to figure out a different form of pain management for my migraines -- she said I was taking too much. I had no idea what she was talking about. She said that Greib's had called her saying I wanted a refill. I had done no such thing.
I called Greib's and inquired. They said that someone must have provided the wrong prescription number. So, I called my doc back, and she said "no way." She said that the guy had called her and said "Mrs. Mylastname came by to refill her painkiller. Isn't she a nice lady, etc. etc." My doctor was convinced that an insider at the pharmacy was trying to refill and convert my prescription to his own use.
I called Greib's again. They were completely unhelpful, and pretended that I was making a mountain out of a molehill. I believe my doctor called them, too.
So, I briefly considered calling the police and did not. The reason I had used this pharmacy in the first place was because I really wanted to patronize the local, independent pharmacy. I didn't want to hurt them, even though I was extremely suspicious. Of course, I never went back.
Anyway, I don't wish Greib's any ill. The only reason I'm writing this is out of curiosity. I wonder if this had happened to anyone else there. Anyone?
Unless you know that you spoke to the owner or pharmacist, I suspect that whoever you talked to may have been this same young employee who has now been arrested. He may have been skimming prescriptions first, discovered how much money he could make selling them, and decided to go for the big bucks. It sounds like the owner/pharmacist was duped by this kid too. Griebs has been in Darien for many many years and has a good reputation. Unfortunately, it only takes one bad employee to ruin it for them. If I were you, I would probably give them another chance (that is, unless you know you did talk to the owner or pharmacist -- but they're not usually the ones who answer the phone).
Really

Stamford, CT

#12 Jul 29, 2008
Still in Stamford wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the article: It couldn't have been the pharmacist - the guy they arrested was only 22 years old!
From the article: "More arrests were expected", Komm said.

Maybe those arrests are for other employees, maybe they are not. The point is, it aint over 'til its over.
Really

Stamford, CT

#13 Jul 29, 2008
Proud Mamma wrote:
<quoted text>
...Furthermore, I highly doubt a Pharmacist would put his career on the line for $50,000 worth of pills. They make over $120,000 per year.
People have given up far more for far less. Just ask Martha Stewart.

Never say never.

“Mamma Dukes”

Stamford

#14 Jul 29, 2008
Still in Stamford wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you know that you spoke to the owner or pharmacist, I suspect that whoever you talked to may have been this same young employee who has now been arrested. He may have been skimming prescriptions first, discovered how much money he could make selling them, and decided to go for the big bucks. It sounds like the owner/pharmacist was duped by this kid too. Griebs has been in Darien for many many years and has a good reputation. Unfortunately, it only takes one bad employee to ruin it for them. If I were you, I would probably give them another chance (that is, unless you know you did talk to the owner or pharmacist -- but they're not usually the ones who answer the phone).
Thank you! I agree with you 100% Why ruin the owner's and their livelihood by making a false accusation.

“Mamma Dukes”

Stamford

#15 Jul 29, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
People have given up far more for far less. Just ask Martha Stewart.
Never say never.
A Pharmacist takes an oath.

The only oath Martha Stewart ever took was from her horses.
Really

Stamford, CT

#16 Jul 29, 2008
Proud Mamma wrote:
<quoted text>
Furthermore, I highly doubt a Pharmacist would put his career on the line for $50,000 worth of pills. They make over $120,000 per year.
Wow, a google search for "pharmacist arrested" yields 1,810,000 hits. Many of them news stories of pharmacists filling bad prescriptions or stealing drugs. Hmmm, go figure.

“Mamma Dukes”

Stamford

#17 Jul 29, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, a google search for "pharmacist arrested" yields 1,810,000 hits. Many of them news stories of pharmacists filling bad prescriptions or stealing drugs. Hmmm, go figure.
Are they from Darien? Are they from Griebs? You cannot make assumptions. Pharmacists put in 6 years to get their degree.

“Mamma Dukes”

Stamford

#18 Jul 29, 2008
The first two pages of your search yields 2 articles wherein people were posing as Pharmacists; and another makes mention of someone being arrested at a Pharmacy.

Try again.
Really

Stamford, CT

#19 Jul 29, 2008
Proud Mamma wrote:
The first two pages of your search yields 2 articles wherein people were posing as Pharmacists; and another makes mention of someone being arrested at a Pharmacy.
Try again.
That's interesting. The following are the first two hits:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/23/Pasco/Pharm...

seems like you've got SSR (selective reading syndrome)
Really

Stamford, CT

#20 Jul 29, 2008
Proud Mamma wrote:
<quoted text>
Are they from Darien? Are they from Griebs? You cannot make assumptions. Pharmacists put in 6 years to get their degree.
Interesting how you assume I'm accusing the Griebs pharmacists. If you re-read my posts, you'll see that what I was saying is that no one is above suspicion until the facts of the investigation comes out. That is very different than out right accusing someone, which I am not.

The rest of my posts were counters to your flawed logic that pharmacists do not commit these types of crimes because of the size of their annual income or the length of their schooling. That is just ridiculous. That same logic should then apply to CEOs, presidents and other high level folks who have a lot to lose but are always getting themselves in trouble.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Christine Zampedri arrest. (Photo): Office of t... 5 hr 1 honest hard worker 1
Is Brett Saltus still shooting Heroin? (Feb '13) Fri SPLAT 54
News Housing authority director out (Jan '09) Aug 23 ffctguitar 35
George W. Bush Helped Create ISIS (Nov '15) Aug 19 BPT 9
News Kissel driver pleads guilty to attempted murder Aug 17 BPT 3
News Stamford High grad pushes for equality - in lit... Aug 15 Oh No You Di-nt 1
News Looking back on Greeniwch primary shocker 10 ye... Aug 14 mar 1

Darien Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Darien Mortgages