Teacher accused of abuse

Full story: NewsTimes.com

The allegations are startling if not sickening: two preschool special education aides accused of pulling hair, name-calling, force-feeding, yelling, poking and other abuses during the 2003-04 school year.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of106
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ugh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

As a parent of a special needs child that has been a part of Circle of Friends and has had Karen Wilson as a teacher, I can honestly say that I never saw anything that would make me be concerned about my child's welfare. Circle of Friends is closely monitored, with lead teachers never leaving the room for a meeting or absence without proper coverage. The administration has always made a presence in and out of the rooms, and the aides I have come to know have all been loving and caring women. I don't think that Bethel parents have much to worry about in the Circle of Friends setting.
Ano Nymous

New Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

"According to Wilson's deposition referenced in Sherman's court papers, Wilson recommended Galiatsos be hired as a special education aide because she had done a good job training her dog and believed those skills would be "a great fit" for a special needs classroom."

This would have turned me off to her right away. She basically said that if you can train a dog, you can train a special needs child. This is a disgusting person who apparently doesn't have any respect for the special needs of these children. Remember, Karma comes back around 10 fold.
Bethel Mom

Johnston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

This so-called "article", really just an opinion piece, is totally disgusting! Brian Koonz, you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't know Ms. Wilson at all, but 2 articles in this trash for a newspaper is nothing short of inflammatory, and borders on libel.

Contrary to your sensationalized headline, Ms. Wilson is NOT accused of abuse. Most teachers, and specifically Special Ed teachers, must leave their classroom for meetings frequently. A special ed teacher has to interact with many other school professionals through out the day, speech, occupational and physical therapists to name a few, for the continued development of her students. If her classroom was left in the care of these aides, it was the Adminstration's fault for not having a licensed teacher in the room when Ms. Wilson had to leave.

Recommending a friend for a job usually has very little to do with the hiring of that person. Again, it was the Administration's ultimate responsibility for background checks, proper training and supervision.

Ms. Wilson, you have nothing to explain to the parents of Bethel. And Dr. Chesley is absolutely correct in not commenting beyond the performance of Ms. Wilson while she has been employed in Bethel.
Clowns to the left

Portland, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

Another example of the Danbury NT trampling on Bethel. Wouldn't it be good if everyone in Bethel stopped buying this rag, and all businesses from Bethel ceased advertising in this rag?

It's about time bethelites stop putting up with the bullying from this left-wing toilet paper, particularly this pinhead Koonz.

If the Darien Schools allowed the woman to resign, why would there be a concern? And, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty. The News-Rag already reported this, but they again felt compelled to ruin someone's life before they were afforded due process under the law by branding them with a scarlett letter.

I hope the teacher sues Koonz and the Newstimes for defamation of character.
WOW

Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

What a one-sided article. Very hateful and negative. Did she dump you or something Koonz? As you sound like you have a personal axe to grind rather than that of a neutral reporter. Also, what happened to innocent until proven guilty. Also, unless there is something wrong with her performance in her current position why would any one need to explain - as once again she is innocent until proven guilty. Also, being that the others in the room are grown adults - why is it her fault they behaved badly?
WOW

Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Ano Nymous wrote:
"According to Wilson's deposition referenced in Sherman's court papers, Wilson recommended Galiatsos be hired as a special education aide because she had done a good job training her dog and believed those skills would be "a great fit" for a special needs classroom."
This would have turned me off to her right away. She basically said that if you can train a dog, you can train a special needs child. This is a disgusting person who apparently doesn't have any respect for the special needs of these children. Remember, Karma comes back around 10 fold.
And you have seen this deposition prior to trial? I think not...
Danbury Dan

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

Clowns to the left wrote:
Another example of the Danbury NT trampling on Bethel. Wouldn't it be good if everyone in Bethel stopped buying this rag, and all businesses from Bethel ceased advertising in this rag?
I hear they refused service to a reader in uniform.
peddle your bullsh1t elsewhere, bottom feeder.
Hello

East Hampton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

I have a child in Circle of Friends and I think something needs to be told to the parents. Mr. Koonz article never mentions she is guilty. He is asking for the parents to be informed. She is the head teacher she is responsible for what goes on in her classroom! Those aides behavior reflect on her. Just like if your child does something their actions reflect on you as a parent! What if a teacher did something like this today at Berry don't you think Principle Brooks would take some heat because it happened on her watch? She is ultimately responsible for her teachers as unfair as it sounds that is the truth. It would make sense that all parents be notified of this and not have it swept under the carpet. Ms Wilson thought it was important enough to tell the hiring people at Berry about this. So why isn't important enough to let the parents know (now that it's out in the open) that Berry backs her and that she is doing a great job and that if you have any questions any parent can sit down with Ms Wilson and Principle Brooks to make sure that parent is comfortable. Should we have been told of her background before she was hired, absolutely not. But now that this has come out people need to be assured their kids are safe.
Government Cheese

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

Danbury Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a lot better than the racist, homophobic crap he was obsessively posting before the election. Bartlett's win shut this freak up pretty fast.
ladywriter60

Deland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

Bethel Mom wrote:
This so-called "article", really just an opinion piece, is totally disgusting! Brian Koonz, you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't know Ms. Wilson at all, but 2 articles in this trash for a newspaper is nothing short of inflammatory, and borders on libel.
Contrary to your sensationalized headline, Ms. Wilson is NOT accused of abuse. Most teachers, and specifically Special Ed teachers, must leave their classroom for meetings frequently. A special ed teacher has to interact with many other school professionals through out the day, speech, occupational and physical therapists to name a few, for the continued development of her students. If her classroom was left in the care of these aides, it was the Adminstration's fault for not having a licensed teacher in the room when Ms. Wilson had to leave.
Recommending a friend for a job usually has very little to do with the hiring of that person. Again, it was the Administration's ultimate responsibility for background checks, proper training and supervision.
Ms. Wilson, you have nothing to explain to the parents of Bethel. And Dr. Chesley is absolutely correct in not commenting beyond the performance of Ms. Wilson while she has been employed in Bethel.
AMEN to you, and below, stop buyinng the newspaper. I t will go out of business, and these crappy hurtful articles will stop.
PARCHIE AS METAPHOR

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

Government Cheese wrote:
It's a lot better than the racist, homophobic **** he was obsessively posting before the election. Bartlett's win shut this freak up pretty fast.
I always thought Government Cheese was a lady (granted I'm being generous, I'll put "lady" in quotes).
Clowns in my Head

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

PARCHIE AS METAPHOR wrote:
<quoted text>
I always thought Government Cheese was a lady (granted I'm being generous, I'll put "lady" in quotes).
I see. The ones without manners usually are male, although there are exceptions.
Clowns to the left

Portland, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

Danbury Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Spook-off bike rider.
POSTING AGAINST GOD WARS

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

Clowns to the left wrote:
Spook-off bike rider.
close, God's bully...but I'm not a bike riding hippie.
I look too good in suits.
Obamas Brain

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Ano Nymous wrote:
That is pretty much what they consider "special need" children, trainable dogs. The "feeble minded" have been picked on for years.
Its all a part of the eugenics program.
olddog

New Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

What a hack job Mr. Koonz. Innocent till proven guilty is the most basic of tenets that you should be trumpeting. Not what Bethel may or may not deserve. What a juvenile and mean spirited piece.
Obamas Brain

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

olddog wrote:
What a hack job Mr. Koonz. Innocent till proven guilty is the most basic of tenets that you should be trumpeting. Not what Bethel may or may not deserve. What a juvenile and mean spirited piece.
Did you miss the words "accused" "allegations" and "alleged"?
Bethel Dad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

What an absolute piece of trash! Mr. Koonz, did you miss the part where these are "allegations" that have not yet had their day in court? Worse, you question the integrity of Bethel school administrators unfairly. How are they expected to be accountable for a lawsuit that had not even been filed at the time Ms. Wilson was hired in Bethel? And if it's possible that she withheld information prior to being hired by Bethel, shouldn't she be the one who answers for it? Koonz piece makes it look like Dr. Chesley was negigent, and that is wrong.
Sunday's news article at least stuck to the facts. Mr. Koonz op-ed piece should never have been published.
Witsaboutyou

Brunswick, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

I am a parent of a special needs child in the Bethel school system. My issue is the fact that noone from the Board of Ed has communicated ANYTHING to us. How proactive/responsible/respectf ul it would have been for a letter or a call to have been made BEFORE this hit the papers. Now even days later we are still left without answers, no explanation, mums the word. My daughter had Karen as a teacher, and I am feeling rather unsettled to say the least. The most vulnerable children in the public school system- 3 & 4 year olds with special needs, certainly deserve better protection and care.
Let's hear it Bethel----- enough's enough!
not surprised

Southington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

I went to middle and high school with Kim Granite and we had the same group of friends...she was a bully and intimidating then to people her own age...now she's bullying and abusing children...maybe she should be the victim of a bully one day. DCF should check on her own children. I remember her mother being a bully to everyone including her kids. I'm completely disgusted at the 2 aides...I have a special needs preschooler and would have to physically be restrained if his aides ever acted this way to him or his classmates.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of106
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Darien Discussions

Search the Darien Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 68,359
A deluded consensus on discrimination Mon Drilling for the nerve 2
Ch&#279;ap Kítchen Uníts Jul 18 Anonymous 1
Is Brett Saltus still shooting Heroin? (Feb '13) Jul 18 Charles 20
Many illegal immigrants live in public housing (Jan '09) Jul 17 Amigo 5,605
Stamford-Based AmeriCares Delivers Water To Nee... Jul 16 Charlie 1
Blacks are Stupid, Violent Animals (Apr '12) Jul 14 gowl 57
•••
•••