Border collie mauled by pitbull

Border collie mauled by pitbull

There are 33 comments on the WPVI-TV Philadelphia story from Aug 2, 2008, titled Border collie mauled by pitbull. In it, WPVI-TV Philadelphia reports that:

Aug. 1, 2008 -- Trixie whimpers constantly since being attacked by a pitbull. The 3 year old border collie was at the new Kent Dog Park in Upper Darby, Delaware County, just after 5pm yesterday, when the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WPVI-TV Philadelphia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
No Bull

Catasauqua, PA

#1 Aug 2, 2008
Pit bulls are dangerous and are also ugly. a favorite of section 8 people. they should be outlawed from breeding. but also, I have never heard of a pitbull mix doing anything like this, especially if it is a lab mix. But a pure pitbull should be illegal. If a pitbull attacks my dog, the owner of the pitbull better have health insurance.
MMs Mom

Sea Isle City, NJ

#2 Aug 4, 2008
Obviously you should not be commenting if you have no sense. The statement " Pure Pitbulls" makes no sense. Because a "pit bull" is NOT a breed!!! Google it!!! Therefore your whole comment about mixes etc... makes no sense at all. Pit bull type animals encompass the bully breed which is too many to list.
Pit bull is NOT a breed. It's a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics often known by the public as "pit bulls".
Sarah Muller

Lansdowne, PA

#3 Aug 4, 2008
I was at the dog park that day, and the border collie started the fight. The pit bull was stronger and won, but the other dog started the fight. The blame cannot all be laid on the pitbull.
Carla Welsh

Somerset, NJ

#4 Aug 10, 2008
First of all, the fact remains that about 90% of all dog owners throughout the United States have no knowledge about canine mentality; therefore their comments should be rendered null and void. Shame on dog owners for believing in hearsay and word of mouth! The miseducation of what is being said needs to be put to a stop! Fact #1: Centuries ago, pits were bred to help local butchers steer their oxes to their respective locales. If a steer/ox stepped out of line, the pit would help by clamping on to the ox's nose (sometimes for 3-4 hours)until the ox was subdued. Pits which could not withstand the pain and exhaustion of this much needed task were not bred again. With money to be won, the shameless pit fights were then started circa 18th century. Therefore, the mentality remains that if your dog steps out of line (because you do not understand or practice canine language/control), the pit will take over your job and will control the dog who needs to be controlled. All dogs of the bully breeds are rendered harmless, as long as they are properly controlled by a well educated and responsible owner. Unfortunately, most owners will probably read this as a foreign language. More info to follow...
Carla Welsh

Somerset, NJ

#5 Aug 10, 2008
Many smaller breeds of dogs get away their extremely anxious/aggressive behaviour (brought on by the owner's lack to provide mental and physical stimulation and discipline) because their "bite is not as big as its' bark". The bully breed of dogs will NEVER attack for no reason. They are simply trying to control your unruly dog that has no guidance. So, everyone needs to take an aggressive approach to understanding our canine friends.
makaiman

Portland, OR

#6 Aug 10, 2008
Pit Bulls are great cash cows, oh I meant dogs, sorry! Former Atlanta Falcons QB
Carla Welsh

Somerset, NJ

#7 Aug 10, 2008
With all the misinformation and lack on the part of most dog owners, I am sorry to say that powerful dogs cannot play at dog parks. In an ideal world, if everyone that took their dogs to dog parks did it the right way, then powerful dogs could go. With no control from other dog owners, powerful dogs will take control where control is lacking. Facts on dog parks: 1. Exercise your dog for at least half hour before entering park. 2. When approaching park, if your dog pulls on the lead turn and walk the opposite way. Keep on trying to approach the entrance, and turn every time they pull. After about 15 minutes, they will most likely understand that they may not enter until they stop pulling. Only allow your dog to enter if they are in a calm state. 3. Do not feel bad because you were at work all week, and the dog did not get proper exercise. The dog does not need your guilt, he needs your calm assertiveness. Tips to look out for: Watch out for dogs with tails wrapped between their legs. They are more likely to bite because they are in a fearful state of mind. Watch for dogs with tails high in the air, they are in a dominate excitable state of mind. They will be more likely wanting to mount, and this results in dog fights and that dog being bit. Tails wagging sideways and sticking out midway are the right mindset. If you notice more and more dog tails standing upright, then get your dog out of there. This is excited dominance which leads to mouthing, mounting, panting, running, and escalation of no control.
Carla Welsh

Somerset, NJ

#8 Aug 10, 2008
Of major importance: the security team at the dog park should have a break stick. About the size of your arm, the break stick is gently inserted in the side of the mouth of a dog who is clamped down, then slightly tilted upwards to hit the nerve that all dogs have in the roof of their mouth. Touching this nerve will automatically release the mouth of any dog. There is a certain technique to the usage of the break stick, which i would hope the security team will read about. I hope this info. will help or save the life of any owner and dog that is out there. Information is power.
50 year resident

Catasauqua, PA

#9 Sep 17, 2008
java828

Miami, FL

#10 Sep 22, 2008
No Bull wrote:
Pit bulls are dangerous and are also ugly. a favorite of section 8 people. they should be outlawed from breeding. but also, I have never heard of a pitbull mix doing anything like this, especially if it is a lab mix. But a pure pitbull should be illegal. If a pitbull attacks my dog, the owner of the pitbull better have health insurance.
I bet YOU are ugly and should be outlawed from breeding!! Too bad you can't have insurane for that! And Caesar Milano is section 8 all the way!I was attacked by a yellow lab and while the dr was sewing me up, stated that the dog responsible for more bites than any he treats is cocker spaniel!! Yeah, stupid people and prejudice always will be a problem in this world! I have a pit bull and it wouldn't look twice at you or your dog!
No Pit

Lewisville, TX

#13 Jan 13, 2009
"All dogs of the bully breeds are rendered harmless, as long as they are properly controlled by a well educated and responsible owner. Unfortunately, most owners will probably read this as a foreign language."

Another self professed "expert" that spews personal opinion and beliefs from a "holier than thou" position.

How about looking at the FACTS.

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present.(Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.
According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.
Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

Link:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%20198...

Purebred Pit Bull Terriers alone account for 50% of dog attacks. That's 1 breed against every other. You don't have to be a statistician or a sociologist to look at that number and know that this particular breed has a major screw loose.

Here's another stat to note. In 2/3 of the attack logged was "the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question." So this BS about "oh, well, I have a pit bull and he's fine" doesn't fly because 2/3 of the time they attack or kill, it's the first sign of aggression.

Don't bother with some pathetic, emotionall charged response.
so true

AOL

#14 Jan 13, 2009
No Bull wrote:
Pit bulls are dangerous and are also ugly. a favorite of section 8 people. they should be outlawed from breeding. but also, I have never heard of a pitbull mix doing anything like this, especially if it is a lab mix. But a pure pitbull should be illegal. If a pitbull attacks my dog, the owner of the pitbull better have health insurance.
No bull i have to comment, pitt bulls are not dangerous, people are dangerous,if you raise a pitt to be mean that is all they will know,we own a pitt/boxer mixed,since he was a baby,and he is 7 yrs old now, and a big baby we never had a violent moment with him,
terri

AOL

#15 Jan 14, 2009
Sarah Muller wrote:
I was at the dog park that day, and the border collie started the fight. The pit bull was stronger and won, but the other dog started the fight. The blame cannot all be laid on the pitbull.
i agree i grew up in upper darby can you tell me where the park is
terri

AOL

#16 Jan 14, 2009
i grew up in upper darby i agree with your comment where is the park located

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#17 Jan 14, 2009
so true wrote:
<quoted text>No bull i have to comment, pitt bulls are not dangerous, people are dangerous,if you raise a pitt to be mean that is all they will know,we own a pitt/boxer mixed,since he was a baby,and he is 7 yrs old now, and a big baby we never had a violent moment with him,
i love pitts they get a bad name i have three rescuse on is pit mixed he is a very loving dog (my baby)i wish everyone would understand the way you raise a dog just like children is the way they will grow up
brittney

Fairfield, CA

#18 Sep 12, 2009
Look pit bulls can be a danger but it depends on how u train them. I think u were right not to let them kill the pit. My cat was attacked by 2 pit bulls she had kittens she didn't run she protected them she got bit on the hind leg she lived and so did the kittens I broke up the fight but I got bit 2.no animal deserves to be killed and it shouldn't be juged for who it is they have a heart just like u. So to all u people dislike pits GO JUMP IN A RIVER they have just as much of a right to be on this earth. And I'm sorry I have a pit bull/border collie mix and.she is as sweet as can be. I'm really sorry.
PITTS NO DANGER

Fairfield, CA

#19 Sep 12, 2009
Come on people their not dangeres it how u train them dang if u think I'm right please reply
BEST MOST LOYAL BREED

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Sep 13, 2009
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findp...
to all you who believe pit bulls should be wiped from the face of the earth, please visit the above link. can you pick out the american pit bull terrier? I would bet that you can't. Why? because any time a dog is muscular and has a "mean" face people assume it's a pit bull. so the people that want "pit bulls" band, 9 times out of 10 don't even know what a pit bull is.
furthermore, did you know that the american pit bull terrier, in the early 1900s WAS in fact bread for fighting? BUT it was also bread to be able to recognize human contact and not turn on the human. this means that if two "pit bulls" were fighting, you could step in between them and not get hurt. SO, any statistic that reports people getting killed by "pit bulls" means the OWNER has trained his dog to be human aggressive. Furthermore, do these statistics ever take into account that it could be the same dog doing the attacks?
and to those who pull the whole "yes well if a poodle bites you the damage is not that bad, but a PIT BULL can kill you" well DUH! the apbt is powerful! that is one of the things that apbt lovers LOVE about the breed. and to some moron trying to train a dog to fight, well why s(he) train a poodle to be vicious? If a football coach had to walk in a room and pick a varsity team would he choose the skinniest wimpiest boys? NO. he would pick the tallest, strongest men. put the apbt as a breed should not suffer simply because it is mean looking and muscular.
and for those that love statistics, please sit and think about this one:
"The American Temperament Test Society (ATTS) has shown that, of breeds with 100 or more specimens tested, the APBT scored an 84.3%, beating out breeds such as: the German Shepherd, Dalmatian, Cocker Spaniel, Border Collie, Weimaraner, Great Dane, and even the beloved Golden Retriever. Recent research results have shown that such percentages mean the APBT has a significantly better temperament than most other breed groups"
( http://www.ukcpitbull.com/encyclopedia/tiki-i... )
any apbt that severely hurts another dog or human should be put to sleep. their owners should be heavily fined and/or put in jail. but don't judge every dog based on a few dogs "statistics". those of you who are scared of the apbt are simply that-scared. you believe what you see on the media and what you read in the papers. you don't take the time to actually read up on the breed, or know what it means to be a good, educated, dog owner.
Pit Bull Realist

Plano, TX

#22 Dec 31, 2009
" this means that if two "pit bulls" were fighting, you could step in between them and not get hurt."

What a load of B.S. Yeah - I'm SURE they would calm down right away and you could break up the fight without a scratch. Right. Go ahed - I'll watch.

"SO, any statistic that reports people getting killed by "pit bulls" means the OWNER has trained his dog to be human aggressive. "

More B.S.

These dogs often go off for "NO APPARENT REASON" That is another erroneous opinion. DO some research.

"the apbt as a breed should not suffer simply because it is mean looking and muscular."

There are many other muscular breeds the are not genetically predisposed to fighting. Like you say, apbts were bred to fight. Gee, I wonder if they ever have the tendency to do that more than other dogs that were not genetically inclined to fight ?

"don't judge every dog based on a few dogs "statistics". " Go back and look at YOUR statistics - but that's ok for YOU to put statistics out there. The biggest problem with pit bulls is that they are often owned by people who are just not too inteligent.
Soco

United States

#23 Mar 4, 2010
Man Quit ur Crying!!! they did this they did that ..........Yda yada yada cry baby
No Bull wrote:
Pit bulls are dangerous and are also ugly. a favorite of section 8 people. they should be outlawed from breeding. but also, I have never heard of a pitbull mix doing anything like this, especially if it is a lab mix. But a pure pitbull should be illegal. If a pitbull attacks my dog, the owner of the pitbull better have health insurance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Marchetti Back In Jail! (Apr '11) Jun 11 The One 21
News 2 held in Upper Darby meth raid Jun 10 frank 1
Glenolden Pathmark SOLD to Collins ShopRite (Jun '12) Apr '16 Collingdale 8
Folcroft (Jul '12) Mar '16 Sharon 2
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Glenolden, PA (May '12) Mar '16 Anna 6
Barker ave Feb '16 Dino 2
what is going up next to glenolden cvs? (Nov '15) Feb '16 dmt 2

Darby Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Darby Mortgages