BRATS challenge collecting food for s...

BRATS challenge collecting food for seniors

There are 17 comments on the Alabama Live story from Mar 1, 2010, titled BRATS challenge collecting food for seniors. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

The combination of a tight economy and hard winter is forcing more local seniors to choose between food and medicine, Pat Harris, director of the Baldwin County Council on Aging, said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#1 Mar 1, 2010
Here is just another group of people who can't afford another increase in the Baldwin County Sales Tax. I wonder if the Baldwin County Board of Education cares about these people! VOTE "NO" TO THE BALDWIN COUNTY SALES TAX INCREASE.
Bub-ber

Mobile, AL

#2 Apr 12, 2010
What did they do with the money we already gave them?
Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#3 Apr 12, 2010
Bub-ber wrote:
What did they do with the money we already gave them?
People should know that whenever schools get more money, they just hire more people to do the work that they are now doing so that they only have to go out to the mailbox and get their salary check for doing nothing. They can always do this because taxpayers never go out of business and there are always plenty of them around. If schools had to make a profit to get the money they now suck out of taxpayers, they would have been out of business years ago. If anyone thinks that giving schools more and more money will provide better education for the kids--forget it. It will only provide an easier life for school employees.
Bub-ber

Mobile, AL

#4 Apr 13, 2010
I would like to see my money used to end tenure. Teachers should be treated like everyone else, perform and deliver results or you are gone.
Guy who knows

Memphis, TN

#5 Apr 20, 2010
Obviously, none of you have been anywhere near a school since you WERE in school. Can you imagine what would happen if doctors lost their licenses based on whether their patients lead a healthy lifestyle or not? How about if dentists were paid based on how many cavities their patients had? Whether or not a child learns and succeeds has more to do with what happens at home than what happens at school. If we're going to start giving paychecks based on test grades, perhaps we should give welfare checks based on the same criteria. If you can't see the comparison, then you are an idiot. And if you can find a teacher in any of my schools who is going to the mailbox and collecting a check for "doing nothing", then you obviously know more than me. Do you work in a school? Any of you?
Someone Else Who Knows

Memphis, TN

#6 Apr 21, 2010
What a great comment. I've been saying that for years. Most people who make negative comments about our schools never go near one and don't know what they are talking about.
Teacher

Memphis, TN

#7 Apr 21, 2010
I agree.
Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#8 Apr 21, 2010
Someone Else Who Knows wrote:
What a great comment. I've been saying that for years. Most people who make negative comments about our schools never go near one and don't know what they are talking about.
How can you say that--haven't we all spent 12 years in basic education and most of us in Public Schools. Isn't that enough experience to allow us to form an opinion about the waste in Public Education? Examples are $9000.00/student in Baldwin County for pre-kindergaarten school; teachers who can't handle larger size classes like teachers used to have and were able to teach effectively; schools that are built on huge acreages just so each school has plenty of room for football fields, baseball fields, soccer fields, running tracks, etc.; schools that cost millions more than they have to because Boards of Education want to erect monuments to themselves; excessive administration personnel and many with inordinate high pay for the jobs they perform; tons of school buses to preclude a child from having to walk more that a few feet from their front door to catch a bus; teacher's Unions that are constantly lobbying for more pay and less teaching hours even though teachers are already off several months total during the year; increased pay for teachers who get their Masters Degree in Education that has been shown repeatedly does not produce a better teacher and is probably one of the most, or most Masters awarded degree which everyone knows any teacher can get for the price of admission at almost any college; millions of dollars spent on none acedemic subjects; huge administrative offices with the latest equipment and a surplus of paper-shufflers; huge costs for high school bands, uniforms; poor budgeting on a chronic basis and on and on. And, what is really bad--speaking of people who don't know what is going on in schools is that teachers have no idea what is going on in the outside world. They are students for 16 or more years and then gracefully move across the line from student to teacher without a parcel of real-life experience and are expected to teach students how to survive in the real world once they graduate.
Saloth Sar

Mobile, AL

#9 Apr 21, 2010
Whoa... Give me a Break, you are killing a sacred cow if you say anything negative about the teachers union. I think doing away with tenure and having teachers reviewed annually like everyone else in the workforce would be enough to weed out the bad ones. Principals should be under even tougher performance guidelines and reviewed by the teachers they supervise along with their management.
Now I'm going to get flamed by some angry teachers.
Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#10 Apr 21, 2010
Saloth Sar wrote:
Whoa... Give me a Break, you are killing a sacred cow if you say anything negative about the teachers union. I think doing away with tenure and having teachers reviewed annually like everyone else in the workforce would be enough to weed out the bad ones. Principals should be under even tougher performance guidelines and reviewed by the teachers they supervise along with their management.
Now I'm going to get flamed by some angry teachers.
Let's face it, the school system is flush--but what about the rest of us? Baldwin County just passed an increase in the Baldwin County Sales Tax for at least the next 3-years so that the wasteful school system does not have to become more economically efficient--which they need to do and will not do as long as they know that they can get additional taxpayer's money anytime they start crying about the poor kids who can't get a good education unless we divvy-up additional millions of dollars. Last week, lots of homewoners in my development had piles of brush at the curb to be picked-up by the City of Foley. It had sat there for 2-weeks because the City of Foley only has 3-trucks that do this pick-up and 2 of them were out of commission. A lady at the appropriate Foley department explained that these truck are very old and need constant attention (this will never happen to school busses that are replaced at thousands of dollars as soon as they need to be washed). Drainage ditches are not receiving the proper attention due to a lack of funds. Downtown Foley sidewalks are in desparate need of repair but funds are tight. I could go on and on about everything that needs more attention but does not get it because the money is not available. Yet, there is always a tax increase for our dear-old schools. Won't it surprise our students when they graduate to find out that the place they have grown up in and where they would like to spend the rest of their life has gone to the dogs for the sake of educating them by continuously giving-in to the Baldwin County Board of Education, Baldwin County School Administration and the Teachers Union who have depleted the treasury of funds to keep every other department of government from making Baldwin County a great place to live. In June, when you start paying the additional Baldwin County Sales Tax to support public education, don't complain about everything else in Baldwin County that is hurting for money and are not getting it because the public schools have it all.
Teacher

Memphis, TN

#11 Apr 21, 2010
Sorry, Give Me A Break. You're still someone who has no idea what goes on day to day in the classroom. There is no way to convince people like you. I don't know why we even try. Maybe one more try. What if keeping your job depended on the word of a 5th grader who was mad at you because you punished him for being disrespectful to you? What if keeping your job depended on whether parents raised their children right and made sure their children did their homework? What if keeping your job depended on children who were allowed to do whatever they wanted because the government decided that their bad behavior was due to a "disability"? Be a substitute teacher for one day and I'll bet you'll be running back to whatever job you have. Maybe then you'll appreciate us instead of criticizing us. We don't run for the hills. We stick it out no matter what because we always have hope that things will get better and because we know that we make a difference. Do you make a difference when you go to work everyday? Do you hug someone every hour on the hour when you really want to strangle them? Do you go home exhausted every day because you have given all you have to give emotionally as well as physically? Do you have children? Do they sometimes make you tired? Well, I mother about 120 children a day. Could you do that? I doubt it.
Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#12 Apr 22, 2010
We all choose what we do in life. People in other careers beside teaching are subject to being fired for something they did wrong also. People in other careers also come home exhausted at the end of the day. The only difference is people in other careers work 12 months a year and not 9 months. People in other careers don't cry to the public on a continual basis for more tax dollars to keep their job and people in other careers never achieve tenure where all that they have to do to keep their job is report and breathe.
Saloth Sar

Mobile, AL

#13 Apr 24, 2010
Preach ON!!! Give me a Break, Preach ON!!!
Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#14 Apr 24, 2010
Saloth Sar, you have not run out of arguments--you just don't have an argument.
Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#15 Apr 24, 2010
There are 180,000 residents in Baldwin County. 22,500 of them voted for an increase in the Baldwin County Sales Tax. This represents those having a direct or indirect stake in getting more money for the school system--teachers, administrators, parents of school age children, school service personnel whose jobs hinged on getting more taxpayer money to keep their jobs. Believe me when I say that when the 157,000 residents of Baldwin County start paying more in sales tax on everything--and I mean EVERYTHING that they purchase for the next three years, they are going to blame it on the big spending school system. You may have won the battle this time and have gotten your pound of flesh out of the taxpayers of Baldwin County but, you have incurred the ire and rath of almost every taxpayer who will fight you tooth and nail the next time you come begging for more money. Hear me now and believe me later. Enjoy your windfall money now because you have set the stage for not being able to bleed the public again.
Saloth Sar

Mobile, AL

#16 Apr 26, 2010
Give me a Break wrote:
Saloth Sar, you have not run out of arguments--you just don't have an argument.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, please explain.
I am in complete agreement with all of your commentary.
Give me a Break

Foley, AL

#17 Apr 26, 2010
Saloth Sar wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, please explain.
I am in complete agreement with all of your commentary.
I have no idea how to explain what I said any better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daphne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How real is the Racism in Mobile? (Mar '16) 21 hr Billybubbamcbob 6
alabama spooks (Jul '11) Apr 25 whodge 6
Missing person Apr 19 drop that duce 3
Kay Atkins Raines Apr 3 Keith Raines 3
Unofficial Closing of Programs at Bishop State ... Mar '17 Rlambert 4
News Baldwin County sees growth tension spill into p... Mar '17 ThomasA 2
Ginger (Sep '16) Nov '16 Maggie Simpson 3

Daphne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Daphne Mortgages