Hangout hangover: Nearly 200 arrests; nearby businesses mixed on crowd

There are 14 comments on the May 24, 2011, AL.com story titled Hangout hangover: Nearly 200 arrests; nearby businesses mixed on crowd. In it, AL.com reports that:

Law officers made 189 arrests during the 3-day Hangout Music Festival this past weekend in Gulf Shores, about 60 percent of the arrests involving drugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AL.com.

Give Me A Break

Foley, AL

#1 May 24, 2011
I guess that is the price local municipalities have to pay for making money. What bothers me is not a 3-day event that brings in its share of trouble-makers but, the fact that many of these trouble-makers are finding out about this area and will return to cause continual problems. Politicians and businessmen need to think a little about just how much they are willing to sacrefice to make a few more dollars for 3-days.
tourist covered in oil

Fort Worth, TX

#2 May 29, 2011
We were just up the beach , but did not attend the festival.
We were in shock of just how little those who claim to be peaceful earth loving hippies cared about the beach , trashed the beaches all up and down.
Pure disrespect for others and the beautiful beaches.
Gulf shores can not sell their soul to the devil,
It's bread and butter comes from families that want to come to safe, family friendly beaches.
Keep the party goers in panama or miami .
I would hate to take my tourist dollars elsewhere after all these years .
Give Me A Break

Foley, AL

#3 May 29, 2011
tourist covered in oil wrote:
We were just up the beach , but did not attend the festival.
We were in shock of just how little those who claim to be peaceful earth loving hippies cared about the beach , trashed the beaches all up and down.
Pure disrespect for others and the beautiful beaches.
Gulf shores can not sell their soul to the devil,
It's bread and butter comes from families that want to come to safe, family friendly beaches.
Keep the party goers in panama or miami .
I would hate to take my tourist dollars elsewhere after all these years .
I agree and I live here. Gulf Shores is selling its soul for the Almighty Buck. Please write to the Mayor of gulf Shores and let them know how you and lots of others who come here on a regular basis feel about the corruption being done for the sake of a few extra dollars that will be lost eventually when people like you stop coming to this area at all.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#4 May 30, 2011
I suppose Gulf Shores should just dry up and blow away, this was good for the local businesses and these event's should continue, good entertainment for we locals and other's who care to come, there will always be that few that will do thing's they shouldn't, but the local Police done a great job containing those who were out of line. When the Police can no longer make it safe for the majority than I would vote for no more, I understand that Family people want a rather reserved atmosphere when on Vacation,and so do I, change your week or move further down the beach to avoid these events.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#5 May 30, 2011
"Skynyrd" and "ZZ TOP" is coming to the "Wharf" soon, I can't wait actually, even at my age I will attend a "Skynyrd" concert. Or do you think we should stop this to !
Give Me A Break

Foley, AL

#6 May 30, 2011
FastFred wrote:
"Skynyrd" and "ZZ TOP" is coming to the "Wharf" soon, I can't wait actually, even at my age I will attend a "Skynyrd" concert. Or do you think we should stop this to !
The criminal element can tear-down the Wharf for all I care. Let all of the hulligan entertainers and their minions cloister there and leave our beaches alone. Will you be taking your weeds with you to the concert or will you be buying yours there? If Cap and Trade were in effect, the Wharf would go broke paying for the foul air that envelopes everyone of their rock concerts.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#7 May 31, 2011
There are those hooligan rednecks and trash that come for nothing else to fight ,get drunk and show their ass in public. The majority of the people attending the events are there to have a good time, spend a little money, throw down some cool ones and should have that privilege without fear of being around these ill mannered low lifes. POPO should let it be known that bad behavior is zero tolerance!!
Give Me A Break

Foley, AL

#8 May 31, 2011
ThomasA wrote:
There are those hooligan rednecks and trash that come for nothing else to fight ,get drunk and show their ass in public. The majority of the people attending the events are there to have a good time, spend a little money, throw down some cool ones and should have that privilege without fear of being around these ill mannered low lifes. POPO should let it be known that bad behavior is zero tolerance!!
Absolutely. Hooligan Country Rednecks are just as bad as hooligan rock star fans. Let's hoot and hollar at good entertainment and leave it at that.
Not a local

Baton Rouge, LA

#9 Jun 9, 2011
I attended the Hangout Festival and loved it. The only problem I ran into were grumpy locals. Move aside old heads, Gulf Shores has sold its soul. This was an amazing time and MOST* of the people there we just looking to have a good time, enjoy the beach, and listen to music. My group never ran into trouble or caused any trouble because this, like most people, is not what we were there for. Its time for you ignorant old headed locals to get of your blog sites and start having a good time for Christ's sake. YOU LIVE ON THE BEACH. Move to the Carolina's if you want quiet beaches.. Otherwise step aside. Stop complaining.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#10 Jun 9, 2011
Not a local wrote:
I attended the Hangout Festival and loved it. The only problem I ran into were grumpy locals. Move aside old heads, Gulf Shores has sold its soul. This was an amazing time and MOST* of the people there we just looking to have a good time, enjoy the beach, and listen to music. My group never ran into trouble or caused any trouble because this, like most people, is not what we were there for. Its time for you ignorant old headed locals to get of your blog sites and start having a good time for Christ's sake. YOU LIVE ON THE BEACH. Move to the Carolina's if you want quiet beaches.. Otherwise step aside. Stop complaining.
If you ran in to Grumpy locals you "ignorant fool" you must have done something to make them Grumpy, I doubt that you did have this happen, just a fabricated lie.
Give Me A Break

Foley, AL

#11 Jun 9, 2011
"Move to the Carolina's if you want quiet beaches.."

If you want to destroy a quiet beach--find another quiet beach to destroy other than Gulf Shores. We are perfectly happy with our beach the way it is and don't need your money or the money that a local money-hungry enterprener wants to put most of in his pocket. Think about it--we were here years before this music festival so we don't need your money now to survive. Go back to Daytona Beach if they will still have you. I have heard that Daytona Beach residents are getting sick and tired of these events also.
Not a local

Baton Rouge, LA

#12 Jun 9, 2011
I've gone to Gulf Shores every summer for years before this festival started. I will now go two times every summer. In no way is this festival "destroying" these beaches. In reference to writing the Mayor, good luck convincing him that 60,000+ people for 3 days is bad for the area. See you later this summer. More importantly, see you next May.
rudy

Foley, AL

#13 Jun 9, 2011
these events represent a bigger theme in the US its excess: more booze more money bigger houses gulf shores is already fairly nasty so i do not go there much especially during a big event i don't want to get mowed down by a stoner or drunk I wonder what the LA person was looking for? I guess a good time for Christ's sake. thats odd it may be better to contain these people in gulf shores
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#14 Jun 11, 2011
Any time you get a large group together, you will have the low end element that feel they are in a life rut so they come to a gathering and make a total fool out of themselves. Then they go home and back to their boring job and life. Same in Bonnaroo, Daytona Bike Week,any NASCAR race, and Sturgis. Those people are like dogs. A good ole yard dog can be the nicest and best thing around but let him start running with a pack and they try to see who can outdo the others. Peace!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daphne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DTV information for area residents (Aug '09) 9 hr hrw 7
Is Fairhope, Alabama a good place to live? (Feb '11) Fri lamangttia 26
Debate: Marijuana - Daphne, AL (Sep '10) Apr 20 Corrie Martin 26
New all you can eat crab leg, crawfish, shrimp,... Apr 18 Crab louse 3
News What happens if the upcoming Baldwin County pro... Apr 16 lamangttia 10
News Open in Foley: Moe's BBQ arrives, Shoe Station ... Apr 16 lamangttia 2
News Baldwin County voters turn down proposed new ta... Apr 4 Iamangttia 5
More from around the web

Daphne People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE