State suspends 200-plus EMTs in certification scandal

Full story: Lowell Sun

More than 200 emergency medical technicians have been suspended by the state following an investigation that uncovered an elaborate scheme to falsify certification and training records.
Comments
161 - 177 of 177 Comments Last updated Jul 10, 2010
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
just broken

Boston, MA

#163 Jun 27, 2010
Justmovedback wrote:
What Happened! I leave for a couple of years and all breaks loose.
So Renee Lake is the lead investigator in a fraud case. Interesting.
Here is something all you EMT's should know about her.
When Renee was the Clinical Coordinator at Lahey she was covering up calls for local providers.
One in particular. A 4 year old boy is found choking in Burlington, Paramedics arrive on scene but can't locate their braslow bag. unable to clear his airway until after he arrives in our care at lahey.
Renee is questioned about this by a few of the NSP guys at the time. BB and BC to be specific. Asked why this is not being looked into she replies she doesn't have the power to report or discipline. She tells them this is a company issue and that her hands were tied. A few months later she becomes the Director of Clinical Operations for the same people she helped cover this up for.
Time to pay up Renee!!
I think their were more calls she coverd up as well
Bill Kreutzmann

Lowell, MA

#164 Jun 28, 2010
Tragedy ambulance people smell real bad
2nd collection

Billerica, MA

#165 Jun 28, 2010
I feel bad for Eckelkamp... He has like 6 kids
Bill Kreutzmann

Lowell, MA

#166 Jun 28, 2010
2nd collection wrote:
Working for Tragedy Ambulance = Working for the Gambinos. Work for crooked companies and sometimes it catches up to you.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#168 Jun 28, 2010
2nd collection wrote:
he needs to keep them well fed and healthy so they can grow up to pay for my Social Security entitlements.
Medic

Lowell, MA

#169 Jun 28, 2010
To "Sorry" from Arlington. Before passing judgement get your facts straight. Its not the continuing education that people are complaining about, its a refresher. They are two seperate things. EMT's and paramedics have to do BOTH every two years. Con-ed is very often helpful and useful. Refreshers are very often not helpful and useful. Picture the things you do at your job every day and then picturing yourself having to "re-learn" to do them every two years or not be able to do your job anymore. I am not saying that skipping out on them is right or OK but i can see why it happened. And just so that you know, living in Arlington affected you directly because the providers that would come to your home were also involved in this. And 9 months is a bit excesive, doctors that take out the wrong kidney dont get suspeded for 9 months.
OEMS Fraud

Boston, MA

#170 Jun 28, 2010
This state is famous for its Witch Hunt and this case is no different. Apparently we didn't learn from our history and judging by the comments posted here are certainly doomed to repeat it. The EMT's were labeled "witch's" by this state and the media. And you, the public, without hearing our side, were quick to rush to the gallows to see us hang. Here is our side.

There is no question there are some of us here that are guilty. There is also no question there are some wrapped up in all of this who are innocent. The State of Massachusetts would lead you to believe that they throughly investigated all 211 people involved in less then a month. In the official investigative report sent to our homes, the State claims to have contacted 170 EMT's involved and that all 170 pleaded guilty. Through our own,(and much more thorough investigation) we have learned that more then half these people were in fact never contacted or allowed to defend themselves. Case in point: During a recent informational meeting for those accused a soldier in the United States Army and EMT here in the State of Massachusetts stood up to tell his side. A side never heard by this state because they never bothered to ask. During the times the state has alledged he signed a fraudulent roster this young man was on his second tour of duty over in Afganistan. His only thought was, that his friends here, not knowing he had a legal extension to file, signed his name to one of these rosters. This State would not hear his arguement!!! Like all of you they Labeled him a witch. A soldier defending our country!! This is just disgusting plain and simple. I know what you all are thinking.. Ok.. Thats one.. But there are many more stories out there. Stories this State has refused to hear.

The truth is the Office of Emergency Medical Service(OEMS) rushed through this investigation not to find the truth, but to find as many people that they could label "Witch". Do you people really think it is possible to thoroughly investigate 211 people in less then a month?
Bill Kreutzmann

Lowell, MA

#171 Jun 28, 2010
OEMS Fraud wrote:
This state is famous for its Witch Hunt and this case is no different. Apparently we didn't learn from our history and judging by the comments posted here are certainly doomed to repeat it. The EMT's were labeled "witch's" by this state and the media. And you, the public, without hearing our side, were quick to rush to the gallows to see us hang. Here is our side.
There is no question there are some of us here that are guilty. There is also no question there are some wrapped up in all of this who are innocent. The State of Massachusetts would lead you to believe that they throughly investigated all 211 people involved in less then a month. In the official investigative report sent to our homes, the State claims to have contacted 170 EMT's involved and that all 170 pleaded guilty. Through our own,(and much more thorough investigation) we have learned that more then half these people were in fact never contacted or allowed to defend themselves. Case in point: During a recent informational meeting for those accused a soldier in the United States Army and EMT here in the State of Massachusetts stood up to tell his side. A side never heard by this state because they never bothered to ask. During the times the state has alledged he signed a fraudulent roster this young man was on his second tour of duty over in Afganistan. His only thought was, that his friends here, not knowing he had a legal extension to file, signed his name to one of these rosters. This State would not hear his arguement!!! Like all of you they Labeled him a witch. A soldier defending our country!! This is just disgusting plain and simple. I know what you all are thinking.. Ok.. Thats one.. But there are many more stories out there. Stories this State has refused to hear.
The truth is the Office of Emergency Medical Service(OEMS) rushed through this investigation not to find the truth, but to find as many people that they could label "Witch". Do you people really think it is possible to thoroughly investigate 211 people in less then a month?
Tragedy Ambulance = B.P. Oil Company. They are both stupid, corrupt, and both deserve to be out of business. Have some more cheese with your whine.
Bill Kreutzmann

Lowell, MA

#172 Jun 28, 2010
OEMS Fraud wrote:
Tragedy Ambulance = B.P. Oil Company. They are both stupid, corrupt, and both deserve to be out of business.
SA LIKE IT IS

Cambridge, MA

#173 Jun 30, 2010
There is a good old saying you should not throw stones in glass houses.. If I am not mistaken Billerica EMS aka P-15 or p-150 employees have been under investigation for several calls. The reason why you choose to open your trap is that up until now you haven’t been caught. Get off your podium … this sounds like a direct quote from the handbook on how to save your jobs…. It is a fact that if the municipality decided to go to a private ambulance it would save the towns thousands and would be better care for Billerica residence…People need to know the truth… 2 ambulances during the day and 1 at night.. if the ambulance gets a call for a cold the next coverage would be another town who does not know the area and this creates a increase in time of response.. here is what the pro’s are for having a private ambulance…No insurance negative liability, no cost of ambulance maintenance, no admin pay, no employee pay, no housing cost, no continuation credits cost… nothing and if they (private EMS like Trinity) gave the town a sum to cover the cost of a dispatcher to give calls to the private ambulance it would be a positive cash flow. And lets not forget the true fact that p-150 and p-15 will respond from Lahey or Lowell General for a Code (cardiac arrest) or a severe advanced life support call to keep runs to show they are needed… Billerica feel real safe knowing that if your mother or father is having chest pain.. it is a plausible chance that your ambulance is coming from those hospitals and could be 15 minutes out. Time is tissue… I would be careful on what you write here… chances are your next on the chopping block!
billerica resident wrote:
This illegal scam is a reason why for profit ambulance providers are problematic for municipal EMS coverage. The ambulance companies who did not recognize this problem, like Trinity, must be held accountable for allowing their EMS staff to provide care without mandated certification. Just like BP, Trinity must be held responsible for their employees and apologize to those that they are handsomely paid to serve. Thank God for the Billerica EMS system, run by the police department with the best of the best paramedics employed there.
Bill Kreutzmann

Lowell, MA

#174 Jun 30, 2010
SA LIKE IT IS wrote:
There is a good old saying you should not throw stones in glass houses.. If I am not mistaken Billerica EMS aka P-15 or p-150 employees have been under investigation for several calls. The reason why you choose to open your trap is that up until now you haven’t been caught. Get off your podium … this sounds like a direct quote from the handbook on how to save your jobs…. It is a fact that if the municipality decided to go to a private ambulance it would save the towns thousands and would be better care for Billerica residence…People need to know the truth… 2 ambulances during the day and 1 at night.. if the ambulance gets a call for a cold the next coverage would be another town who does not know the area and this creates a increase in time of response.. here is what the pro’s are for having a private ambulance…No insurance negative liability, no cost of ambulance maintenance, no admin pay, no employee pay, no housing cost, no continuation credits cost… nothing and if they (private EMS like Trinity) gave the town a sum to cover the cost of a dispatcher to give calls to the private ambulance it would be a positive cash flow. And lets not forget the true fact that p-150 and p-15 will respond from Lahey or Lowell General for a Code (cardiac arrest) or a severe advanced life support call to keep runs to show they are needed… Billerica feel real safe knowing that if your mother or father is having chest pain.. it is a plausible chance that your ambulance is coming from those hospitals and could be 15 minutes out. Time is tissue… I would be careful on what you write here… chances are your next on the chopping block!
<quoted text>
Trinity Ambulance = Gambino family (both crooked)
The Nerve

Dracut, MA

#175 Jun 30, 2010
Bill Kreutzmann!!!!!!!! I thought I took care of you on my last post. Are you still in your dank and foul apartment. I bet its filled with cigarette smoke, and you have a poor cat who doesnt even know it has lung cancer yet.
Please step away from your computer. Empty you ashtray. Clean up your hovel, i.e. dishes, laundry, yard work? You may feel better about yourself, and maybe, just maybe, you can start feeling better about yoursel. Good luck to you sir.

AugustusOwsleySt anley3rd

Lowell, MA

#176 Jul 2, 2010
The Nerve wrote:
Bill Kreutzmann!!!!!!!! I thought I took care of you on my last post. Are you still in your dank and foul apartment. I bet its filled with cigarette smoke, and you have a poor cat who doesnt even know it has lung cancer yet.
Please step away from your computer. Empty you ashtray. Clean up your hovel, i.e. dishes, laundry, yard work? You may feel better about yourself, and maybe, just maybe, you can start feeling better about yoursel. Good luck to you sir.
Tragedy Ambuance was at the Greatful Dead concert doing Magic Mushrooms.
OLD EMS 1986-2005

Worcester, MA

#177 Jul 3, 2010
AugustusOwsleyStanley3rd wrote:
<quoted text>Tragedy Ambuance was at the Greatful Dead concert doing Magic Mushrooms.
Stay tuned round two coming soon
AugustusOwsleySt anley3rd

Lowell, MA

#178 Jul 3, 2010
OLD EMS 1986-2005 wrote:
<quoted text> Stay tuned round two coming soon
Awesome! Bashing Tragedy Ambulance is fun
Long Time Medic

Haverhill, MA

#179 Jul 10, 2010
billerica resident wrote:
This illegal scam is a reason why for profit ambulance providers are problematic for municipal EMS coverage. The ambulance companies who did not recognize this problem, like Trinity, must be held accountable for allowing their EMS staff to provide care without mandated certification. Just like BP, Trinity must be held responsible for their employees and apologize to those that they are handsomely paid to serve. Thank God for the Billerica EMS system, run by the police department with the best of the best paramedics employed there.
You are kidding, right? Having done enough mutual calls to Billerica over the years to cover your town tells me that your system is far from adequate. As for the "best of the best" paramedics, please spare us this nonsense... capable, yes. But lets not overindulge this delusion...

For every "reason" you cite as being problematic with private EMS providing municipal services, it can always be turned around on municipal services as well. 2 ambulances are not enough to cover Billerica and without mutual aid or, heaven forbid, private EMS, your citizens would wait quite a long time for EMS. Don't make this into a silly "private vs. municipal" argument... it doesn't hold water.

I do agree though, Trinity (along with all the other services) need to be held accountable as well. And the primary culprit that is being constantly overlooked is OEMS itself. This nonsense has been going on since at least 1990 (when I entered the field) and I have NEVER seen an OEMS official at a recert class (either con-ed or refresher)... particularly the ones I have taught.

Fact of the matter is, the public service sector (fire, EMS and even PD) have long harbored people who want to take shortcuts and get the most for it. It is that way in every field. These folks got caught... the punishment is a little severe but at the same time, the message has been sent: Don't do it. And I agree with it.
Lt Col Walter H Taylor

Lowell, MA

#180 Jul 10, 2010
Long Time Medic wrote:
<quoted text>
You are kidding, right? Having done enough mutual calls to Billerica over the years to cover your town tells me that your system is far from adequate. As for the "best of the best" paramedics, please spare us this nonsense... capable, yes. But lets not overindulge this delusion...
For every "reason" you cite as being problematic with private EMS providing municipal services, it can always be turned around on municipal services as well. 2 ambulances are not enough to cover Billerica and without mutual aid or, heaven forbid, private EMS, your citizens would wait quite a long time for EMS. Don't make this into a silly "private vs. municipal" argument... it doesn't hold water.
I do agree though, Trinity (along with all the other services) need to be held accountable as well. And the primary culprit that is being constantly overlooked is OEMS itself. This nonsense has been going on since at least 1990 (when I entered the field) and I have NEVER seen an OEMS official at a recert class (either con-ed or refresher)... particularly the ones I have taught.
Fact of the matter is, the public service sector (fire, EMS and even PD) have long harbored people who want to take shortcuts and get the most for it. It is that way in every field. These folks got caught... the punishment is a little severe but at the same time, the message has been sent: Don't do it. And I agree with it.
Tragedy Ambulance smells real bad

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seabrook police hope cruiser cameras help 'win ... Aug 18 Brookaforlife 1
neighbors unkept yard Aug 10 john 1
badwolf @ the racks tavern rt 125 Aug 7 Anonymous 1
Wanda Cote (Aug '13) Jul '14 DSmith 6
Review: Golf Course Lawns Jul '14 Joseph develis 1
Woman Sues Over Having To Buy 2 Plane Seats (Feb '06) Jun '14 bozo 298
Three NH students named Presidential Scholars Jun '14 CALHIGH 1
•••

Danville News Video

•••