Anyone getting FAST internet speed wi...

Anyone getting FAST internet speed with Kywimax?

Posted in the Danville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“This is the real Aaron L”

Since: Dec 09

Cincinnati,Ohio

#3 Sep 29, 2010
they are putting 3 new towers so it will get better soon hopefully
whats the prices like and the speeds?

Since: Sep 10

Stanford, KY

#4 Sep 29, 2010
The night I posted this, their ping was 749 ms (low is good), download was 0.11 Mb/s (high is good) and upload was 0.10 Mb/s (high is good). Up in Cincinnati, on the same computer with wireless, the figures were 24, 2.75 and 1.75. similar in Paducah. I pay $35 a month for service that is basically only about twice as fast as dial-up, and is off-line for hours at a time! Emailed them about it -- no response yet. Only other real choice IS dial-up here.

“This is the real Aaron L”

Since: Dec 09

Cincinnati,Ohio

#5 Sep 29, 2010
i havnt had any problems with at&t and i pay around the same price and my connection speed is almost 8mbps for download

Since: Sep 10

Stanford, KY

#6 Sep 29, 2010
I can't GET AT&T here (in any form but dial-up), so my choices are ONLY dial-up, Kywimax or Hughesnet (at $60+ per month plus lousy customer reviews). I had great DSL with Windstream in a very rural area of northern Casey County, so isolated that people couldn't get out for 4 days during the Great Ice Storm.
tyler

Danville, KY

#7 Jan 7, 2012
I'm thinking about buying an xbox and I would like to know if anyone here is able to play xbox live with kywimax
tgo

Richmond, KY

#8 Jan 7, 2012
tyler wrote:
I'm thinking about buying an xbox and I would like to know if anyone here is able to play xbox live with kywimax
don't buy an Xbox in hopes on playing online with an unreliable connection. Not only is it frustrating for you, but it sucks for people playing with you. I have never had KYWIMAX but with Hughesnet we could not play at all. The bad thing is the connection would let you start a game but trying to play was like the old days of games constantly glitching, only this glitch happens every 3 seconds and then takes off.
No Service

United States

#9 Jan 7, 2012
KyWimax is constantly out and they keep having excuses for it. It's either they are upgrading, something wrong with the tower, the weather, or somebody has a device like a police scanner somewhere that's interfering. Always a different excuse. Country living is really nice but not if you depend on internet. I can only get Hughes Net or dial-up here. Digital on Demand only works about 10 days out of a month.
Wimax user

Danville, KY

#10 Feb 1, 2012
I have had service with kywimax for 4 years now, and lately the service has been getting really bad. It had been so bad that i had to call them several times, they hardly ever called back, and the 1 or 2 times they did the only thing they could say is, "did you reset the antenna". I have been an electronic tech for over 30 years now, they know this, of course i had reset the antenna. I do anything in my power, that i can before i call these people. It got so bad that i took it upon myself to contact Mr. Ballard, the owner, and magically the service started working right. A tech even showed up at my door and said that they had to fix their backhaul. Which is nothing to do with the end users equipment at all. It worked great until we had those high winds that came up on 1/11/2012, apparently it has blown their backhaul loose again from the tower. I have called again and again, no answer. These people are highly unprofessional. I used to recommend them, not any more. When their backhaul is working correctly, i can get speeds of up to over 3 Mb/s Down and around .70 Mb/s upload. But with the way it is now, i can barely receive service.I think that all of us that are getting bad service from them should start filling complaints with the Danville chamber of commerce and the better business bureau. Maybe that will get them off their rears,so that they can fix their equipment.
djohnson

Danville, KY

#11 Feb 1, 2012
I have had Kywimax for almost a year. I live in Forkland and like the service over what I had before which was wildblue. Wildblue cost twice as much and was out all the time. My son plays Xbox live on it with no problems, I had noticed Netflix lags a lot but when I called them they said Netflix requires a speed of 3 Meg's to stream and they currently only offer 1.5 Meg download but were upgrading equipment so they could offer higher speeds. I wish I was the getting 3 Meg's like the WiMAX user says they are getting!! Are they charging you more for getting 3 Meg's?
Not Impressed

Danville, KY

#12 Feb 2, 2012
I used to live in the boonie suburbs of Gravel Switch and we had Windstream DSL. Worked pretty good. I moved to Mitchellsburg and the only choice was KYWIMAX or dial up. I went with WIMAX and although it is not as good as Windstream it is much better than any dial up I've ever had. I've also had Wildblue before and it is not worth the price. I just can't understand how a lil backwoods community like Gravel Switch can have DSL available when a similar community in the high and mighty Boyle county doesn't.
Wimax user

Danville, KY

#13 Feb 4, 2012
Same old crap with these people. Instead of fixing the problem that they know of, they are going to send someone here with new stuff to try out. And said if it doesnt work then they'll have to take it out. I have paid these people for 4 years, but now for some reason they cant deliver. Nice upgrades Josh. Kywimax is a ripoff.
Former Wimax User

Richmond, KY

#14 Feb 20, 2012
Try this it is better than wimax and no equipment on house

https://store.bluegrasscellular.com/products/...
Unhappy

Danville, KY

#15 Apr 24, 2012
Totally agree! These guy are very unprofessional. I have them for about 6 years and with many problems. When I have a problem can't talk to a technician but some admin girl on the phone who can't help you at all. I am looking for another provider. Any recommendation?
Crafty

Harrodsburg, KY

#16 May 11, 2012
I left Ky wimax, they are awful, won't service costumers. They suck, BAD!!!
Crafty

Harrodsburg, KY

#17 May 11, 2012
Wild Blue or Blue Zoom, either one is good.
Same here

Danville, KY

#18 May 16, 2012
Ive had WiMAX for over a year and I hate it. My area doesn't have any other options either. There are times the Internet is completely off for days at a time. It's impossible to watch a video on you tube. It plays for 2 seconds then buffers for 30 seconds. It's a very unreasonable price for the quality of Internet I actually get. As soon as something else becomes available I will be switching.
Not Impressed

Danville, KY

#19 May 18, 2012
I pose the question of why can't we have alternatives? Is it the decision of the phone companies to not upgrade their equipment so they can offer DSL or is it backroom politics and kickbacks that keep out the competition? Enquiring minds want to know.

Since: May 12

Hydra Island

#20 May 21, 2012
WiMAX is only a good option if you live in a place where DSL or Cable isnt an option. I have several friends who subscribe and are forever complaining about it. As far as XboxLIVE goes I played on it at a buddy's house and the lag was TERRIBLE... while on xboxLIVE his wife could barely even surf the web.. even with the poor LIVE performance. Tech support is terrible also, from what I have seen. No one I kno who has it ever has a good connection test... but alas.. the bittersweet options of something other than dial up in a rural area.
DOWN ON WIMAX

Danville, KY

#21 Jul 4, 2012
SERVICE IS BAD. PRICE IS BAD.
CALL THE BOYLE CO.JUDGE EXT AND TELL HIM.
Better now

Danville, KY

#22 Jul 20, 2012
They have a 3Mps plan for $50 that is much better than the "standard" plan. However, I still wish I had an alternative.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what up 8 hr Get them out of here 5
National Office Furniture 10 hr Lancaster pete 2
RRD (advice) (Jun '15) 12 hr Whatttt 71
Tip your server! 23 hr educated 78
brothers bbq Fri jane 7
How often do you have sex with your partner (Aug '09) Fri AGREE 51
behind closed doors (Aug '12) Thu Miss 420 42

Danville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance