Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81704 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#64474 Jul 25, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard that phrase in ages, HAHA! Wasn't that a dairy commercial on T.V. for quite a while? Can't remember who it was for though...
Awesome flashback, Blue. Thanks!
Ernest P. Worrell is a fictional character most principally portrayed by the late American actor Jim Varney in a series of television commercials, and later in a television series (Hey Vern, It's Ernest!) as well as a series of feature films. Ernest was created by the Nashville advertising agency Carden and Cherry and was used in various local television ad campaigns.[3] The only national products he promoted were Coca-Cola, Sprite, TaB[4] and Mello Yello soda brands.
The first Ernest commercial, filmed in 1980, advertised an appearance by the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders at Beech Bend Park, an amusement park near Bowling Green, Kentucky. The format of the commercials seldom varied. The rubber-faced Ernest, almost always dressed in a denim vest and baseball cap, appeared at the door of an unseen and unheard but seemingly unwilling neighbor named Vern. The spots were structured in a way to allow the viewer to be "Vern", as Varney looked directly in the camera whenever Vern was addressed. Ernest's seemingly pointless conversations with Vern which were actually a soliloquy due to Vern never responding inevitably rambled around to a favorable description of the sponsor's product, followed by his signature close, "KnowhutImean?"[5]
While Vern is never shown to ever say anything, it is implied that he finds Ernest to be an unwelcome pest due to him trying to slam his door in Ernest's face on a few occasions. Vern also shakes his head "No" whenever Ernest invites him to do something. Ernest, however, is oblivious to Vern's apparent distress regarding him and always regards Vern as his closest buddy and confidant.

Those were some funny commercials! Earnest has issues with trolls.

Scotts Vegas

#64475 Jul 25, 2012
Ernest P. Worrell (Character)
from Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)

Kenny: Ernest I got it! What we need is a tree house!
Ernest P. Worrell: I thought we needed dress shields.

Trantor the Troll: You will die for the disgrace of your forefathers!
Ernest P. Worrell: I didn't have four fathers! I only had one father and I didn't know him that well!

Ernest P. Worrell: How 'bout a bumper sandwich, Boogerlips?

[When seeing Trantor the Troll for the first time]
Ernest P. Worrell: Oh, I sure hope you're from Keebler!

Ernest P. Worrell: I never knew when to quit. Just ask my fourth grade teacher.

[while driving to the treehouse with a now wooden Rimshot]
Ernest P. Worrell: What good is a wooden dog? Oh, sure they swim better, but what am I gonna call him, Splinter?

Ernest P. Worrell: Boy, Jimmy. When you play charades you play for keeps. Knowhatimean?

Ernest P. Worrell:[to the troll] You'd better stay away. I know jujitsu, kung fu, karate, tai chi, and I saw "Hulkamania" three times. Once in slow-mo.

Ernest P. Worrell:[about the troll] He looked like a big giant Mr. Potato Head. Except he was shaped more like a watermelon.

Ernest P. Worrell: Nuh uh, ain't no trees in Botswana, nuh uh, I know, I AM a Botswanian lumberjack, and I ain't never had a job...

Ernest P. Worrell:[as the Old Lady] Be grateful, little trolls in China don't even get milk.

Ernest P. Worrell:[being attacked by the troll] Help, help! May day! May day! Christmas Day! Colombus Day!

Ernest P. Worrell: Pretty soon the kids won't have to worry about eating their Brussel sprouts because the Brussel sprouts will be eating them.

Scotts Vegas

#64477 Jul 25, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Please forgive me if my question came out rude, but to reply to a post and insinuate that someone is representing a hoax seems a little rude also. My inquiry into the phenomenon of unusually large snakes being spotted and killed in the areas mentioned, was responded to by someone that does not believe that either snake existed, and lives 130 miles away. Thank you for calling me a liar, as I should have documented and relayed that information to a more reliable and believable news outlet, to be relayed to a more trusting and insightful audience, and please don't misconstrue that as being rude or inconsiderate.
It's not rude at all. Unlikely things must be met with some skepticism.

I spend a lot of time studying and learning about Mother Nature. I'm also quite the weather buff.

So when I hear of a world record animal it sparks my interest. Would you agree an animal reputed to be more than 20% larger than the current world record is quite newsworthy? And maybe I'm wrong but he that killed that snake would surely have contacted DNR.

I don't believe in Mothman, do you.

I'm pretty danm skeptical about Bigfoot. A fishing trip to some pits in Jasonville Indiana once made me wonder though.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#64478 Jul 25, 2012
LOL! That's right, now I remember! We never did see Vern, did we? LOL! Good brain jog, Blue! He was so funny!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64479 Jul 25, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Don't let it get to you, AW. I think that the Mods also look for cases of plagiarism on here, and I have noticed that duplicated comments are weeded out by the sniffer bots somehow..
Not to worry Nope, I have lived many years and through many difficulties to let trivial matters such as words typed to or about me by people that I don't even know, or even plagarized from anything I have previously posted. I was simply making a comment that I recognized that something that I had posted was being copied, but in reality... for the long haul,it just does not matter and as it is said "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" lol

Yes, the software does purge exact duplicates and that should not even require the manual intervention by a moderator. My career involved developing software, so I am not the least bit impressed with other posters' computer or literary skills. LOL

“peace...”

Since: Apr 12

Madisonville, Ky

#64480 Jul 25, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard that phrase in ages, HAHA! Wasn't that a dairy commercial on T.V. for quite a while? Can't remember who it was for though...
LOL Nope! If my memory serves me correctly, those Purity Milk commercials in the sixtie on The Bob Lobertini Show(?) were hilarious! Whoever heard of a talking cow?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64482 Jul 25, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim Varney and he is moving moving moving with his Convenient Cup LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64483 Jul 25, 2012
I do believe that Jim Varney (Ernest) was from Lexington, Ky. I may need to Google that to confirm if that was true.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64484 Jul 25, 2012
Yes, Varney was from Lexington and I had seen him in a stand-up routine in Lexington in his early years. Isn't Google great!!

Everyone have a pleasant day. I have finally had enough rain to mow the grass, but now it is too hot. LOL ...Click....

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#64485 Jul 25, 2012
Jim Varney. Hadn't thought about him in a while. LOved him. Miss him. He was as classic as the Stooges. *sigh*

Location hidden

#64486 Jul 25, 2012
The Three Stooges made me nervous, even as a kid, lol. All that poking and boinking each other in the head made me edgy, lol! I always winced, oddly enough. Guess I was a strange kid... But I still can't watch them.

Is Jim Varney still alive? He was so funny. Kind of reminds me of that "Dirty Jobs" guy, in his looks anyway.
(Mike Rowe is it)?
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#64487 Jul 25, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I think the internet and some of the Discovery type TV programs has made it possible for us to know more of the details of what is going on in the world and to discuss it, than for there to actually be so many changes.
There is quite likely no more earthquakes or bird deaths or less insects than there has ever been at various times, it is just that we are now more aware of our environment because of the information and more "watchful". In our youth, we watched the girls instead of the grasshoppers and hummingbirds.
I can recall instances of 50 years ago where we children were scared out of our wits by reports that the world was ending "any day now". That was especially true during the "duck and cover" days and the mass building of bomb shelters.
You could be right about nothing more happening now than did say 50 60 years ago, bacause of the media. As for the heat I can remember back in the 60's it was nothing for the temperatures to be in triple digits. Many day 105 to 110 degrees, heat index was untelling.

I reacall in the late 60's, birds called mountain bats just blackened the sky, with thousands of them. They were about the size of a crow. They lasted about 2 hours and move on. Reminded you of the movie, The Birds.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64488 Jul 25, 2012
tinponyrider wrote:
<quoted text>You could be right about nothing more happening now than did say 50 60 years ago, bacause of the media. As for the heat I can remember back in the 60's it was nothing for the temperatures to be in triple digits. Many day 105 to 110 degrees, heat index was untelling.
I reacall in the late 60's, birds called mountain bats just blackened the sky, with thousands of them. They were about the size of a crow. They lasted about 2 hours and move on. Reminded you of the movie, The Birds.
You are right, the hottest I can remember was that 1964 was terribly hot around 110 degrees several times and they did not even talk about an index back then. The prior winter it reached 19 below zero once and hovered around zero for several days. That time span was the most worst that I can recall except for the winter of 77-78.

Birds were so bad at one point (I can't remember the year though but probably the one you are referencing) that many small Central Kentucky communities set off fireworks around dusk to try to scare them away and have them roost elsewhere. I went out on my last CLICK to try to do some chores outside. Too hot for chores.

“peace...”

Since: Apr 12

Madisonville, Ky

#64489 Jul 25, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
The Three Stooges made me nervous, even as a kid, lol. All that poking and boinking each other in the head made me edgy, lol! I always winced, oddly enough. Guess I was a strange kid... But I still can't watch them.
Is Jim Varney still alive? He was so funny. Kind of reminds me of that "Dirty Jobs" guy, in his looks anyway.
(Mike Rowe is it)?
Unfortunately, Jim died of lung cancer in Feb. 2000.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#64490 Jul 25, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
(Mike Rowe is it)?
I LOVED the Stooges. I had a crush on Curly. I had no idea he had been dead for a long time, way before I was ever born. I watch them now, and laugh still.
Jim Varney passed away several years ago. As Kookey as he was, I loved the Earnest series. He was as physical as the Stooges and just as funny. God Bless him.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#64494 Jul 25, 2012
Ultra man wrote:
What does that have to do with birds dying?
Birds died when each of the Stooges died. And when Jim Varney died. Seriously.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#64495 Jul 25, 2012
FYI.. The chores I referenced had nothing to do with chickens that are well watered and cool. Must you always be so uncivil Una? What does that gain you? CLICK

abc

Owensboro, KY

#64496 Jul 25, 2012
As I was reading USA Today online just now, I saw a story and graph page called 'NASA reports strange and sudden ice melt in Greenland'. When I pulled it up, it said 'url cannot __?. Sorry, but I am computer illiterate and can't pull this up now. Can anyone help?

Location hidden

#64497 Jul 25, 2012
My nice juicy watermelon sucked, I'm sorry to say.. It was grainy and not very sweet. So my hens are happy little scratchers today, "A.W."

They've been attacking it for an hour now. I love to see happy critters. My soul glows.. They're also not panting out in this heat. It's brutal out there again. Went out to the shed and about couldn't see to get back, sweat pouring in my eyes. Whew..

By the way, do you have any hens that give two eggs a day? One of mine does this periodically. About once a week or so. Do ya think they're pretty much healthy and happy, or what? LOL!
(I've yet to find any double yokers though).

I also spent part of the day shopping around for some R.V.'s online to get an idea of what I might like for my "bucket list" road trip. Anyone have any pointers? I want something small, easy to maneuver. Plus I don't want bed on top of the cab. Gotta have a real bedroom in the back of the unit. What say you all?? Any particular model you know of that may fit the bill? A class "C" is about the size I want, but many of them don't have a bed in the rear..
misunderstood

New Haven, KY

#64498 Jul 25, 2012
Mingo wrote:
The road to success is always under construction.
Yea and if yours is like mine, your triple 7 keeps breaking down. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nudists/Naturists (Feb '14) 2 hr Nothing on me 75
Kaepernic 4 hr Brathor 4
Smoking 6 hr haha 6
Anthony Letcher (Jan '13) 15 hr nthano 24
drug dealers 18 hr white rat 99
Half Naked Girl 18 hr haha 14
Planet fitness 19 hr Fortune 500 6

Danville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance