United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2011

Judged:

To all the people in Vermilion County that are tired of crooked, police officers in their midst.

I want to encourage everyone, if you get pulled over and you have a smart phone, why don't you TURN ON THE VOICE RECORDER during the traffic stop? They have you on camera and are recording your voice during the stop, I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to do the same. I cannot imagine how they could spin this to say its illegal. ALOT of people are doing this now and I've seen the results on CNN, MSNBC, FOX news, etc.

This way if something unseemly happens, the only evidence isn't up at the Public Safety Building being sat on or "lost" by the powers that be.

There's nothing illegal about this, you're in your own car aren't you? It's your phone isn't it? You're being recorded aren't you? Besides, if these guys really are as great and professional as they say, it shouldn't matter right?

Then, if something bad does happen, you could post the recording straight to youtube and facebook.

Again, if we have the high quality force I've heard so much about (from former cops and their family members), this shouldn't be a problem at all. If anything, it should prove how GREAT all of our cops are.
???

Alvin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2011

Judged:

I do believe that may be illegal. I am not an attorney....however i would think that unless you had the officers permission it wouldn't be appropriate. But I would love to hear an attorneys take on it and how it would stand up in court!
work4life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2011

Judged:

Your giving illegal advice Dr Flick. Have you heard of the eaves dropping law. You will go to jail, they will take your phone and play it in court, to put YOU in jail. If you think something was done wrong at the traffic stop, your Lawyer will order the tape from the squad car. If it is, as you say, missing, then it is on the police to prove why.
My Friend Flicka

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2011

Judged:

You're right, Dr. Flick. Have you ever seen a video tape of LA cops beating black guys by the side of the road? It's legal all over the country. You will NOT go to jail. The officer has granted his permission in advance to be audio & video taped, as per the recorder on the squad car. Duplicating a recording from an individual who already gave permission to be recorded is perfectly legal. If any questions appear to threaten your arrest, simply state you were recording yourself and forgot to turn it off when the officer stepped up to your window. Unless the officer specifically asks if you're recording him, they can claim no wrongdoing. And, if they claim you broke the law, then it is on the police to prove why (much like if they lose the tape from the squad car).
work4life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

WRONG: Once you play the tape, and the Officer did not know he was being record, it is illegal. You can be recording yourself but if you capture the Officer or anyone else, it is illegal to play it for someone else without everyone on the tapes permission! Also, this is not California, every state has its own statutes and Illinois is most the severe on eves dropping. You need to look up the law. Don't give your advise that will get someone else in jail.
Stanley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

Google Illinois eves dropping law and then get on here and tell Flicka how wrong he is.
Private Vs Public

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

If the only one you play the tape for is a Court of Law, then it's perfectly fine. You need to quit giving phony legal advice. I bet you're a cop, aren't you?
No one is suggesting you audio & video tape to post on YouTube or Break.com , which by the way, is also perfectly legal. How do I know? Because local people do it all the time and no one ever gets sued for it. Not in Danville, not in Champaign, not Springfield or Decatur or whereever.
You need to realize that, regardless of what the statute says, common practices determine the common law. That's the standard, and even if the cops & court are against you at the trial level (which you must expect in Danville), the appellate courts will rule in your favor eventually.
Also, learn the difference between CIVIL offenses (which doesn't lead to jail) and CRIMINAL offenses (which can) before giving legal advice. I wish local lawyers knew the difference, it's so frustrating that many don't!

Also, for those who feel their rights were violated, don't be discouraged when standing up for yourself even if this isn't a method you seek out!
Television

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

Have you ever witnessed a TV camera recording at an outdoor event? No one ever gets handed a permission slip as they walk by, regardless of whether they get interviewed. Why is that? And if it's illegal, why does it happen thousands of times every year without trials?

Same for radio stations.... just sayin'
Free at Last

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

Criminalizing the recording of public events will be deemed unconstitutional, despite the best efforts of fascists and other haters of the First Amendment. The Illinois law and corrupt cops and bought judges cannot stand the test of time. Read here:

http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-ne...
Stanley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

OOO I like that, "Regardless of what the statute says." And "You will win in the appellate stage." In other word, YOU WILL STILL GO TO JAIL. I don't agree either, the stop should be recorded by everyone involved, but the law says you can't. So don't. Write you representative and get the law changed. Don't get a felony record and then try and change the law. And again read the statute! The media can record not a private citizen. A traffic stop is not a PUBLIC EVENT. READ THE STATUTE.
Traffic is Public

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

Read the First Amendment! A traffic stop is A PUBLIC EVENT!
Don't continue to be a wussy and pretend the law givers will win on this one. They won't. They do this every few years and they lose and all the brave protesters end up winning. Martin Luther King Jr. was arrested at least once a year for the final 15 years of his life and never chickened out, nor did he get a felony rap sheet.(But, maybe you're afraid of civil rights too.)
It's call CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE and it's what a FREE PEOPLE have been doing for decades.
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, after 9/11, after our freedoms came under attack, that people still refuse to cherish the very foundations of our country. While you may not enjoy the liberties you have, please quit pretending that whatever our yahoo legislators do is right. It's not. Congressman break the law all the time, and I am thankful that there are thousands out there -- on the left and the right -- who don't cave in to tyranny as easily as you do. Remember what Ronald Reagan said about government being the cause of all our problems?
Stanley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

Sorry, all I can say is go get arrested and fight this then.
22 year copper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

All I can say is give me your address. License plate number and I will be more than happy to find a legal reason to stop you. And then arrest you on felony breaking the eavesdrop statute, which was placed into law to protect the people voted in as state reps. Lawmakers and the gov. Who in the past has been involved in breaking the law. Making contracts, agreements, and so on on the slide to get votes and money. This was not placed into law to protect the police !!!!
I have never arrested someone for this. But have told them to stop or they would be arrested. Hey it's never to late to prove some jail house lawyer he is talking out the wrong side of his mouth
22 year copper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

I read this site once in a while and get so frustrated by those that think they know the law. When I read this stuff it makes me wonder why I bother too. Heck i look back to see the topic and only become more frustrated. You all do what you think you know or listen to the the jail house lawyer. However they will not be there to represent you with their "opinions" in court. So don't take their advice to heart or even action! Good luck. But really don't listen, your only asking for an arrest! Just obey the law, act right and you will never have to worry about this at all !
Castrato

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2011

Judged:

Don't tape record the police. Do what I do.
I'm now undergoing male-to-female transgender surgery.
Heck, if I'm not using my equipment anyway, why keep it?
I will never stand up for my civil rights again. It's a waste of time. You can't fight city hall.

Congress has a motto: "Ignore the Constitution, but follow the law!"
Hear that? "IGNORE the Constitution, but FOLLOW the law!"

Do what I do. Even if you won't go through the surgery like us cowards, simply act as if you have no package left.
Life will be a lot simpler if you cave in to peer pressure every time.
It's why I did drugs in high school, it's why I never complain about higher taxes, it's why I'm such an obedient little lamb I still get "Kick Me" signs pinned to my back.

Just obey the law, let the cops Rochambeau you by kicking you first, like I do.
I have nothing left down there, so I'm listening to the 22 year copper!
What has courage and freedom done for you lately? Trust me, it will only get you scorned.

And nothing feels better than being a eunuch on command, except of course, being a eunuch on command who brown noses his masters while getting kicked in the balls!
???

Alvin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2011

Judged:

Private Vs Public wrote:
If the only one you play the tape for is a Court of Law, then it's perfectly fine. You need to quit giving phony legal advice. I bet you're a cop, aren't you?
No one is suggesting you audio & video tape to post on YouTube or Break.com , which by the way, is also perfectly legal. How do I know? Because local people do it all the time and no one ever gets sued for it. Not in Danville, not in Champaign, not Springfield or Decatur or whereever.
You need to realize that, regardless of what the statute says, common practices determine the common law. That's the standard, and even if the cops & court are against you at the trial level (which you must expect in Danville), the appellate courts will rule in your favor eventually.
Also, learn the difference between CIVIL offenses (which doesn't lead to jail) and CRIMINAL offenses (which can) before giving legal advice. I wish local lawyers knew the difference, it's so frustrating that many don't!

Also, for those who feel their rights were violated, don't be discouraged when standing up for yourself even if this isn't a method you seek out!
so you are saying a person can't go to jail in a civil matter, only criminal matters?
Stanley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2011

Judged:

If you go to court on a civil matter and the judge orders you to do something (pay someone, leave someone alone, ect) and you disobey then yes you go to jail! Civil matters can end up criminal matters.
???

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2011

Judged:

Stanley wrote:
If you go to court on a civil matter and the judge orders you to do something (pay someone, leave someone alone, ect) and you disobey then yes you go to jail! Civil matters can end up criminal matters.
My point exactly....just was wondering how well versed Private VS Public was in his knowledge of the law.
Special Needs

Oakwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2011

Judged:

Read the story, "Special needs student taped bully teachers" to see what's really legal in this country:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/special-student-tape...

No one got permission to tape record abusive behavior here, and no one is going to jail. Instead, the useless government servant got fired (RE: a public school teacher and a cop are both government employees).
It didn't happen in Illinois, but the first time someone challenges it, our illegal law will get bulldozed. It's a no-brainer that happens all the time here!(Sure, our special needs General Assembly won't catch on anytime soon, and neither will their loyal lackeys!)

Also, Stanley the 22 year copper and your numerous sock puppets, jail time for fines is essentially unknown in lawsuits. You need to lose the 19th century concept of debtors prison and modernize your understanding of the law!
And a restraining order is a criminal offense, not a civil offense.(I'm surprise a cop doesn't know this?!)
Why judges exist

Oakwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2011

Judged:

They exist to safeguard the rights of the victims in civil and criminal cases, and to safeguard the general public from abusive government tyranny.

All of you lovers of oppression need to quit putting a sock puppet in it!

Case closed, the law is illegal!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Danville Discussions

Search the Danville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr truth 48,865
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 5 hr nuguyntwn 3,827
Danville IS a terrible place to live! (Aug '12) 8 hr camelt00w 72
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Tue KrisChristie 1,854
bryant industries Tue Tuscola n westville 4
Jeremy Phebus Tue Playa 2
Trayvon or George Zimmerman. Who do you support? (Mar '12) Mon gowl 97
•••
•••
•••
Danville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••