Vacaville site to be home to grocery ...

Vacaville site to be home to grocery store -- Fresh & Easy

There are 87 comments on the The Reporter story from Nov 11, 2010, titled Vacaville site to be home to grocery store -- Fresh & Easy. In it, The Reporter reports that:

Fresh & Easy said Wednesday that it will hire about 270 people in the next few months to work at soon-to-open Bay Area stores -- a move that comes on the heels of a new land deal in Vallejo by the grocery chain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Justadude

Walnut Creek, CA

#1 Nov 11, 2010
I wonder if this is going to be in the old Rite Aide Building in Vacaville? Or the old Ralphs building?

Since: Aug 10

San Jose, CA

#2 Nov 11, 2010
It is in a portion of the old Lucky's building. This has been going on for years now, they have been delaying the project.
Shopper

Vacaville, CA

#3 Nov 11, 2010
They were all hot and heavy to come to VV and then like the article states they stopped. Now they sound all hot and heavy again, and then you read they will not open until February. This time I will believe it when I see it.

So the new gym and this place are both going in to the old Lucky's spot?

When both are open it will be nice for this center, and may even attract some out of work, down on their luck pan handler/sign holders at each parking lot entrance.

Rite-Aid just opened back up in Vallejo after a remodel. Too bad they didn't remodel and stay in VV especially now that they are bringing back Thrifty hand scooped ice cream!
Not a Vacaville Native

United States

#4 Nov 11, 2010
They said a few months ago it was going to be at the Old Food For less/ Sav Max on Alamo Dr.
Vacaville Old Timer

San Francisco, CA

#5 Nov 11, 2010
I was all excited the first time - this time I will wait to see if they actually open in VV. I do believe it is the old Ralph's store next to CVS the former "Longs" store. Geez, cannot keep up with all these changes at my age. Just bring it on and open it up!

And I do believe they did, at one time, say it was going to be at the Alamo Drive location - the former Food4Less and whatever other names that building has had over the last 20 or so years.
Bill

Vacaville, CA

#6 Nov 11, 2010
Any idea what type of grocery store this is???

budget like Grocery Outlet or a nicer place like Nugget?
John

San Jose, CA

#7 Nov 11, 2010
Bill wrote:
Any idea what type of grocery store this is???
budget like Grocery Outlet or a nicer place like Nugget?
More like Trader Joe's on steroids.

But looking at Vacaville's working class demographics, I'll give the store 18 months & it will close due to a lack of sales in a town that prefers meat & potatoes and white bread over that food deemed too frivolous & fancy. Trader Joe's won't even open a store in this berg.

Likewise, if the economy remains in the crapper, there will probably be a vacant store front where Nugget stands today.
Vacaville Old Timer

San Francisco, CA

#8 Nov 11, 2010
Well, I have to admit, since Wal Mart opened the grocery section, I have been shopping there and saving a BUNDLE - can't buy all things I use there but many are there and much cheaper than any of the other grocery stores around town - and I make one trip a month to Trader Joes (hate going to FF)- now that's a store I'd like to see in VV - they need to relocate to VV!

Here is the web site for Fresh and Easy!
http://www.freshandeasy.com/
Get a Job

Santa Rosa, CA

#9 Nov 11, 2010
John wrote:
<quoted text>More like Trader Joe's on steroids.
But looking at Vacaville's working class demographics, I'll give the store 18 months & it will close due to a lack of sales in a town that prefers meat & potatoes and white bread over that food deemed too frivolous & fancy. Trader Joe's won't even open a store in this berg.
Likewise, if the economy remains in the crapper, there will probably be a vacant store front where Nugget stands today.
Oh, please there are plenty of people in VV that would prefer a store that wasn't all about potatoes and white bread. I just hope this is a nice grocery store that affords a variety of gluten free items. I wish we had a Trader Joe's in VV, and I know a lot of other VV residents that would agree.
Michelle

Mountain View, CA

#10 Nov 11, 2010
I have been to Fresh and Easy in So. Cal. This store in NOTHING like Trader Joes! The store caters to the WalMart crowd and will be well received by those who really need to "pinch pennies". The store I went to made Food Fair look like Nugget market.

Barbi - VV

Since: Oct 09

Vallejo, CA

#15 Nov 11, 2010
Vacaville Old Timer wrote:
Well, I have to admit, since Wal Mart opened the grocery section, I have been shopping there and saving a BUNDLE - can't buy all things I use there but many are there and much cheaper than any of the other grocery stores around town - and I make one trip a month to Trader Joes (hate going to FF)- now that's a store I'd like to see in VV - they need to relocate to VV!
I love Trader Joes and have often wondered why we don't have one in Vacaville. The one in Fairfield is tiny, too. There's a good Trader Joes in East Sacramento. If you happen to be there.
Dark Knight

Vacaville, CA

#16 Nov 11, 2010
Just what we need in Vacaville, another "BIG BOX Retailer." Screw the small business person once again!!
Cleo the Cat

Tehachapi, CA

#17 Nov 11, 2010
Dark Knight wrote:
Just what we need in Vacaville, another "BIG BOX Retailer." Screw the small business person once again!!
Who is the small business person you mention? We have a lot of large supermarkets in Vacaville and one smaller grocery store (The Grocery Outlet on Monte Vista.) The Grocery Outlet won't be hurt by Fresh and Easy because the Grocery Outlet does its own special thing in a great way. I shop there weekly and love the bargains.
Newair

Vacaville, CA

#18 Nov 11, 2010
Will all of the people who keep comparing this to Trader Joes, please come back here after it is open. Would love to see your comments then.

Since: Aug 10

San Jose, CA

#19 Nov 12, 2010
Dark Knight wrote:
Sorry there Darkie but Fresh and Easy is hardly a "BIG BOX" store that's why they're only taking less than half of the old Lucky building.
Wilson

Davis, CA

#20 Nov 12, 2010
I wish the Reporter would make it clear as to exactly where the location of this new store will be. I know the health club is going in the old Lucky/Ralph store, but is there room for this store as well? The health club is supposed to have a full sized pool. Maybe it is going across the street in the Rite Aid store? Guess I will have to drive by and check it out for myself. Terrible reporting.
Jim

Vacaville, CA

#21 Nov 12, 2010
"In Vacaville, the store will be located in the shopping center at Elmira and Nut Tree roads."

There are 2 shopping centers at that corner. Which one?
Mark

Vacaville, CA

#22 Nov 12, 2010
Vacaville Old Timer wrote:
Walmart's groceries usually more expensive than Winco.

Granny in the Crosswalk

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#23 Nov 12, 2010
Wally World isn't as scary as Winco. We need Fresh Choice.
Lady Gaga

Hayward, CA

#24 Nov 12, 2010
Granny in the Crosswalk wrote:
Wally World isn't as scary as Winco. We need Fresh Choice.
Vacaville already has a Fresh Choice - you know, that long salad bar place near where Old Navy used to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What to do about noisy neighbor Sun Zoning man 6
Carl Caughell Sep 23 DOC 3
Wanna go in on limo service for katy Perry Sep 23 Mlsddt 1
Danville/MVHS racism (Nov '16) Sep 13 DvilleWGS 2
Any experience with Honorable Elizabeth Hendric... (Mar '16) Sep 8 ibkickenit 24
Castro Valley Thug Thomas Littlecloud Dies in H... Sep 4 RiccardoFire 4
Why Aug 27 Princess 1

Danville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Danville Mortgages