First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Shamrock

Dansville, NY

#1 Nov 17, 2009
What would Dansville be without our Salvation Army? So many of us support this worthwhile organization with our donations and our purchases.
But there's trouble in paradise...or so I hear.
Has anyone else heard the manager throwing F-bombs around? Yikes. A Christian organization with a foul-mouthed manager? Take it to the back room, lady!

Nepotism in hiring? Why are local people being turned away in favor of out-of-town relatives? How are volunteers treated? Are volunteers encouraged?

And what about the recent sackings? The buzz is that this manager is ruthlessly cutting good employees for all the wrong reasons. What a scrooge.

What have YOU heard?
ummm

Endicott, NY

#2 Nov 18, 2009
What have you heard dk?
David Koresh

Johnson City, NY

#3 Nov 18, 2009
i will not comment of the lowest of the lower classes finer shoping outlet issues...

I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!! buy one pair of underware and get three free!!(used but in like new condition)
ummm

Endicott, NY

#4 Nov 18, 2009
omg, lmfao!!
the big COX

Johnson City, NY

#5 Nov 18, 2009
yo dk did you sniff those man thongs before you bought them? i have a feelin you totally did...

Since: Oct 08

Dansville, NY

#6 Nov 24, 2009
Wow! Major shake-up at Sally Ann, including charges of fraud. Let's see if the DE and LCN carry the story.
Jim Delooze

Rochester, NY

#7 Nov 26, 2009
dansville need new Salvation Army, Old Tops would be Nice Site,
Just Saying

Rochester, NY

#8 Dec 1, 2009
Shamrock wrote:
What would Dansville be without our Salvation Army? So many of us support this worthwhile organization with our donations and our purchases.
But there's trouble in paradise...or so I hear.
Has anyone else heard the manager throwing F-bombs around? Yikes. A Christian organization with a foul-mouthed manager? Take it to the back room, lady!
Nepotism in hiring? Why are local people being turned away in favor of out-of-town relatives? How are volunteers treated? Are volunteers encouraged?
And what about the recent sackings? The buzz is that this manager is ruthlessly cutting good employees for all the wrong reasons. What a scrooge.
What have YOU heard?
Salvation Army is the only store in this town that can provide clothing for all members of your family. Yes, being second hand there are many downfalls, but if you have the patience and the time - you can find some absolutely amazing things in the store. Keep in mind, the inventory there changes DAILY and you can get extremely lucky with some items! Many people in the community are repeat customers of the Salvation Army and are truly the reason the doors are still opened.

Everything is done by donation for the organization. Your neighbor donates the goods, you buy them and it's considered a monetary donation to the Salvation Army ARC.

Here's the questions you should ask the manager of the local store and see if they can give you an answer!
Where does the money from the retail stores go?
Where does the money from the kettle drives go?
Where does the money from the holiday angels and bunnies go?
Note: It's Non-Profit, they have to release this information to the public!

Volunteers: As far as I know, all volunteers are welcome as long as they're 18 or older. Certain guidelines do apply such as dress code and certain times to arrive and leave. And I do believe volunteers still get a store discount as well. How are they treated? I would hope they're treated well. They are just as valuable as employees are and should be treated as such.

Nepotism: It's happening and is unfortunate but not completely against policy where as fraternizing is. In the past few months they have hired family members and knowingly had a young couple working there. Local individuals should be first in line for any sort of job through this company. It's the least they could do for the community seeing as how they don't do much good for Dansville!

Management in the store has changed drastically in the past year. I don't care if you know your customers on a personal basis or not, you shouldn't be speaking to anyone in that way! You're leading a small group of employees to believe that it's acceptable to act in such a way that is absolutely wrong. It's a small store, voices carry... it's also a Christian organization and none of these acts are supported by upper management and such people should be reported to the complaint number (which is readily available at the counter for all customers). Must be that employee doesn't realize just how hard it is to find a job these days and should probably take a step back and realize just how lucky they are to even be employed right now!
David Koresh

Johnson City, NY

#9 Dec 4, 2009
quote:
Salvation Army is the only store in this town that can provide clothing for all members of your family.
Yea if you want your kids rockin a marlbro miles shirt and shoes that are three sizes to big.. man thats amazing in the deals alright.. oh and i forgot, if you have a classy gathering u have to attend u can pick up some sweet leasure suits in a hot brown sh*t stain colors....
Shamrock

Dansville, NY

#10 Dec 5, 2009
Apparently the manager has been charged with several crimes - fraud, forgery and embezzlement - and the investigation is on-going.

Some items (including very high ticket ones) that were donated never made it to the retail floor. The manager purchased them, at a ridiculously low price, and took them home. Again, this is what is being alleged and everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence until charges are proven in court (or through a plea deal :).

But, people who donate goods to the Salvation Army expect that their employees are honorable people and that the items donated will provide the most benefit for SA. When a fox is guarding the hen house, all bets are off.

Let me be clear. I think the SA is a wonderful organization doing good work. It is a huge organization with many, many retail outlets. In no way am I suggesting that people stop supporting them. Dansville area residents have come to rely on them, and for many people, the SA is the best alternative to retail clothing. But the management of any enterprise is a big responsibility and perhaps Dansville hasn't been getting the best support from SA's upper management. Defrauding the company one works for is serious business, but hurting otherwise good employees who counted on that job is even more serious. I am merely suggesting that the SA reach out to those employees who have been harmed by this fired (and now criminally charged) manager's misdeeds and make things right.
dansville citizen

Nunda, NY

#12 Dec 9, 2009
I have been a loyal customer of the Dansville Salvation Army for many years,I agree with shamrocks last comment on upper management of the SA of Dansville. Dansville is a very small town and it doesnt take long for news to travel, its being said that a newly hired employee had been let go shortly after starting her new job at the Dansville store along with another one of the cashiers from what I understand,if it was the girl im thinking of she should have been let go long ago! Im not one to judge anybody but she was a very rude,very disrespectful young lady and as a customer, was disgusted with her behavior when going into shop.Its unfortunate that the good ones suffer for that of those that just have no respect! I beleive if upper management had stepped in and done what they are there for the facts may have changed the outcome and that other employee would not be without her job today! In the spirit of Christmas and as a christian organization as they are, doesn't seem that this is the way it should be!
David Koresh

Johnson City, NY

#13 Dec 9, 2009
yet again... let it go... holy sh*t, are u there number one customer? they prolly know u by name down there... but i would like to refer u as "douch bag"... so douch bag, i hope that all ur buy one get three free keeps the salvation army open...
joe

Johnson City, NY

#14 Dec 9, 2009
got to agree with the guy. pretty easy to see that the same person switched screen names and rambled on some more about a dead topic.
Shamrock

Dansville, NY

#15 Dec 16, 2009
The former manager, Liz Young, has been fired by the Salvation Army and was arrested for, among other things, grand larceny and forgery.

It's a good thing that the SA was able to get rid of someone who was not just ripping off them, but who took generous donations that were supposed to benefit SA for her own use. This manager also treated employment applicants with disdain (behind their backs, of course, which is her M.O.), refusing to even consider many local people. And as JustSaying posted, she engaged in nepotism over hiring locals.

Here's hoping Liz Young has a lousy holiday and that the New Year brings big legal bills.
And HOORAY! THE BOAT IS BACK!!
comeon

United States

#16 Dec 17, 2009
David, you are a very rude person. Some people can not afford new clothes, if you are wealthy enough not to have to shop there, great. How much of your time and money do you donate?? I have been in there, I have bought clothes there, am I a douche bag or scum?? No, I am acually very comfortable with my bank account. I am glad southern tier NY has a place like that, because with the state of the economy and jobs scarce at least you can buy Levi jeans and nice clothes at a bargain price.
sweetness

Johnson City, NY

#17 Dec 18, 2009
Is this lame ass topic still really going?... and levi's are not anyones pant's of choice now days unless your cutting the pant legs off and rocking old man daisy dukes...
Me in Dville

Fairport, NY

#18 Jan 21, 2010
Just the facts; "Sweetness & "David Koresh" Me thinks are attacted to the same sex.
David Koresh

Johnson City, NY

#19 Jan 22, 2010
comeon wrote:
David, you are a very rude person. Some people can not afford new clothes, if you are wealthy enough not to have to shop there, great. How much of your time and money do you donate?? I have been in there, I have bought clothes there, am I a douche bag or scum?? No, I am acually very comfortable with my bank account. I am glad southern tier NY has a place like that, because with the state of the economy and jobs scarce at least you can buy Levi jeans and nice clothes at a bargain price.
i am not sure how much of my money goes to the bums of dansville... do they take any of that money out of my welfare check??????
DRR

Lima, NY

#20 Jan 23, 2010
David: You are an arrogant, egotistical and incredibly rude jerk. What rock have you been living under for the past 2 years? It is getting harder and harder for families to get by. Most are trying with one income or have been laid off. I work for a great company but have lost much of my income due to cut backs. We do what it takes in order to get by. You are living such a pampered life. You'd never have survived the depression. They were lucky to have hand me downs to wear. My mother used to have to stuff socks in her shoes in order to have something on her feet. Dinner was a luxury. We are close to the edge and I applaud anyone who shuts down their pride and does what it takes in order to take care of their family. Those people are deserving of generosity and the donations of those who have more than they need. Who are you to Judge? The time will come when you will be "judged" by a higher power than those on this message board.
David Koresh

Johnson City, NY

#21 Jan 25, 2010
DRR wrote:
David: You are an arrogant, egotistical and incredibly rude jerk. What rock have you been living under for the past 2 years? It is getting harder and harder for families to get by. Most are trying with one income or have been laid off. I work for a great company but have lost much of my income due to cut backs. We do what it takes in order to get by. You are living such a pampered life. You'd never have survived the depression. They were lucky to have hand me downs to wear. My mother used to have to stuff socks in her shoes in order to have something on her feet. Dinner was a luxury. We are close to the edge and I applaud anyone who shuts down their pride and does what it takes in order to take care of their family. Those people are deserving of generosity and the donations of those who have more than they need. Who are you to Judge? The time will come when you will be "judged" by a higher power than those on this message board.
u must not work for that good of a company to have to deal with your income cut.... my income never changes, my welfare that u pay for covers all my housing, food, and even internet bill... so hope that u enjoy having to earn your money.... because u also earn my money as well..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dansville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Don't trust heather. Jenner aka. Middleton Jan 23 Heather Jenner 1
Heather Jenner and Allyson sherrod Jan 22 Heather Jenner 1
ferral cats in the village Jan 19 concerned 1
Livingston County Sheriffs Department (timeshee... (Dec '12) Jan 12 morris 14
courupt cops (Nov '08) Jan 3 Itsme 50
Coach Jan 1 seriously 2
Smittys (Nov '12) Dec '14 John 8

Winter Storm Warning for Livingston County was issued at January 31 at 8:21PM EST

Dansville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dansville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:01 pm PST