dreambeans123

Elizabeth, NJ

#1 Nov 10, 2011
I was driving from main st to Tops today using Franklin st and there was a bus dropping kids off- now I can understand primary school kids being dropped off maybe but these kids were elementary to younger high school students being dropped off. I want to know 1 why weren't they walking home from school-there are sidewalks 2 why on Franklin st did the bus stop 6 times on only that street and only let off 1-4 kids at a time as I stated before there are sidewalks and why do they need to be dropped off at their door stop- I remember when I rode the bus from ages 5-8ish we did live in town but there were at LEAST 10 kids at my bus stop and after age 8 I walked rain sleet or snow to school. If I want to talk about money wouldn't be cheaper to hire crossing guards at certain streets than to maintain buses, pay bus drivers, and pay for insurance for these buses. School buses should be for those that live out of town or for those children who are too young to walk to school. Now I don't dismiss those parents that can't be at home to meet their kids after school but there SHOULD be an adult somewhere close that can either meet the child or be aware that they are home safe. I just basically just want to know why we as a community are paying so much $$$ when two legs will get kids from point a to point b for much cheaper and can also teach some basic safety skills - which at times I've noticed to be lacking in the general public
tyto

Jamestown, NY

#2 Nov 11, 2011
dreambeans123 wrote:
I was driving from main st to Tops today using Franklin st and there was a bus dropping kids off- now I can understand primary school kids being dropped off maybe but these kids were elementary to younger high school students being dropped off. I want to know 1 why weren't they walking home from school-there are sidewalks 2 why on Franklin st did the bus stop 6 times on only that street and only let off 1-4 kids at a time as I stated before there are sidewalks and why do they need to be dropped off at their door stop- I remember when I rode the bus from ages 5-8ish we did live in town but there were at LEAST 10 kids at my bus stop and after age 8 I walked rain sleet or snow to school. If I want to talk about money wouldn't be cheaper to hire crossing guards at certain streets than to maintain buses, pay bus drivers, and pay for insurance for these buses. School buses should be for those that live out of town or for those children who are too young to walk to school. Now I don't dismiss those parents that can't be at home to meet their kids after school but there SHOULD be an adult somewhere close that can either meet the child or be aware that they are home safe. I just basically just want to know why we as a community are paying so much $$$ when two legs will get kids from point a to point b for much cheaper and can also teach some basic safety skills - which at times I've noticed to be lacking in the general public
Another skill lacking in the general population is common sense and minding ones own business. It sounds like you are impatient and got upset at the stops the bus made along the street. It is a safety issue that causes the bus to stop along that street. There are some very young children, 4-5 years old, who require an adult to receive them off the bus. A lot of children live across the street from where they get off the bus, so the bus driver makes sure they get across the street safely. The bus does not stop 6 times on that street, it stops 3 times on that very long street, where there is a lot of traffic, many speeding. So you need lessons in basic safety. Lesson 1: Be patient behind a school bus when unloading our community's children!
Dansville CSD has always had a no walk policy until a few years ago. If you walked to school through inclement weather at 8 years old on, then it was of your own choosing.
By the way, the district IS looking for a volunteer crossing guard. Since you are so smart and have all these great (NOT!) ideas, maybe you should volunteer! See the district web site for more information!
If you expect the children to walk, why couldn't you walk from Main St. to Tops?????
get it right

Sebastopol, CA

#3 Nov 13, 2011
Lmao ..... You nailed it. Especially walking from main to tops. Another one to get a one way ticket on the bus out of here.
riley

Jamestown, NY

#4 Mar 17, 2012
hey, ummm...tyto and get it right, have you actually followed a bus on this street???? I have a few times and it did do 5 stops on 3 different occassions and 6 stops on another. Sorry but the original poster is right, this street is not very long(approx 0.48 of a mile per mapquest), why not just stop somewhere in the middle and pick up/let off all the children off at once where parents can meet the younger children and ensure children who need to cross the street do so safely??? All I really want to say is for this street anymore than 1-2 stops is excessive and 6 is simply a waste of time and patience
riley

Jamestown, NY

#5 Mar 17, 2012
BTW the Horseheads thing is wrong I've lived in Dansville for over 25 years, no idea why it has me there :o)
IMHO

Rochester, NY

#6 Mar 19, 2012
Just a thought, ask the bus garage, ask the school, go to a Board Meeting...you know, get involved. Instead of sitting on Topix and complaining you might get educated answers and maybe even help make some cost saving changes.

Topix is free entertainment.
Parent

Framingham, MA

#7 Sep 12, 2012
I think they should drug test all them bus drivers, I know for a fact one of the bus drivers grows and smokes pot, how many children have been left on the bus, one was dragged, come on these people have our children, this last case was, six year old was on the school bus until seven at night, that's crazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dansville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Jul '16 josephbarkley 20
Cynthia H. Fraser, M.D. Board, OB/GYN (Sep '15) Jul '16 Curious 2
sexual predator (Mar '12) May '16 Vibe 4
Wayland troopers (Jan '16) Apr '16 Your mom 2
snitch! Apr '16 smdh 1
Will from dollar general in Dansville ny (Feb '16) Feb '16 Unknown 1
Wills ex wife (Feb '16) Feb '16 Unknown 1

Dansville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dansville Mortgages