Juror's Attraction To Prosecutor Key ...

Juror's Attraction To Prosecutor Key Element In Killer's Bid Fo...

There are 21 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 23, 2009, titled Juror's Attraction To Prosecutor Key Element In Killer's Bid Fo.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

For the past 10 years, Ryan Thompson has fought to prove that he was wrongly convicted of firing the rifle shot that killed a fellow Plainfield teenager during a fight at a house party.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
C Robert Satti Sr

Norwich, CT

#1 Jan 23, 2009
Story says:

"He has filed what is known as a habeas corpus, typically a long-shot attempt by inmates to win a new trial by convincing a judge that either new evidence has been found to exonerate them or that their attorney at trial represented them so badly that a new trial is necessary."

A writ of Habeas Corpus is not what is described in this story.

The writ of habeas corpus is a judicial mandate requiring that a prisoner be brought before the court to challenge whether the state or federal government has the right to continue holding them.
Manchester voter

Hartford, CT

#3 Jan 23, 2009
What's the big deal? Its a small world. People hook-up all the time. Besides there was 12 members on the jury.
Joe

Fremont, CA

#4 Jan 23, 2009
This is how the CT justice system works? OMG! Sounds more like it's NOT working.
Alan Greenspan

Newton Upper Falls, MA

#6 Jan 23, 2009
Now this is Corruption Jodi Rell Style.
Fed-Up

Concord, MA

#7 Jan 23, 2009
Nowhere in the story does it state that Ryan Thompson did not fire the gun that killed the other person, just that he was improperly found guilty. How about, when the Courant does a follow-up story, they ask Mr. Thompson if he did in fact fire the gun that killed the other person, and we'll take it from there.
Chris

Guilford, CT

#8 Jan 23, 2009
What is paramount is that every individual gets a FAIR trial. As citizens we are expected to obey the rules, as must the state. Therefore, if their are grave errors or wanton violations committed by an agent of the state then he is in fact entitled to at the very least a new trial.
For What it is Worth

Southington, CT

#9 Jan 23, 2009
C Robert Satti Sr wrote:
Story says:
"He has filed what is known as a habeas corpus, typically a long-shot attempt by inmates to win a new trial by convincing a judge that either new evidence has been found to exonerate them or that their attorney at trial represented them so badly that a new trial is necessary."
A writ of Habeas Corpus is not what is described in this story.
The writ of habeas corpus is a judicial mandate requiring that a prisoner be brought before the court to challenge whether the state or federal government has the right to continue holding them.
Of what you speak is just one form of a writ of habeas corpus...actually called habeas corpus ad subjiciendum.

In the 1950's and 1960's the Warren Supreme court greatly expanded the definition of a writ of habeas corpus. The other acceptable use of a writ of habeas corpus is as a legal device to allow a person to seek relief from an unlawful detention or from being harmed by the judicial system.

Under the system set up by the Warren Court the writ of habeas corpus can be used to have the federal court system review death penalty cases.

So yes a writ of habeas corpus is described in the article. Mr. Thompson has filed a writ of habeas corpus to be brought before a court for relief from what he believes to a be an unlawful detention or harmful judicial proceeding.

In the Supreme Court case Boumediene v Bush the terror suspects filed a writ of habeas corpus for relief from a military tribunal. They wanted to be brought before a federal court.

So in the roughly 221 years or so the definition of writ of habeas corpus has changed from it's literal definition.
Kelly Prevost

Amston, CT

#10 Jan 23, 2009
There is so much more to this story- Ryan Thompson has been sitting in jail for 11 years for a crime he did not commit,the big deal in a juror marrying a prosecutor in a case she sat on and a man was found guily on circumstantal evidence is a little unsettling. There was a ton of misconduct in this case and families have been destroyed because of it. I hope Ryan finally gets the justice he deserved from day one and the real killer is brought to justice and made to pay for the awful crimes he committed- he has let another person pay for his crimes and let the McCafferty family believe an innocent man was a cold blooded killer.
Kelly Prevost

Amston, CT

#11 Jan 23, 2009
If you want to know more about this case please go th the following link:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/external/supapp/Cases/A...

It takes you to the opinion of the supreme courts decision to repeal the lower appellate courts decision to overturn Ryans conviction based on prosecutorial misconduct. I urge you all to go and read it.
Davi674

Oakville, CT

#12 Jan 23, 2009
Um... I do believe that the appellate court not only offered a "stinging rebuke", but actuall overturned Ryan Thompsons conviction conviction based upon prosecutorial mis-conduct. This decision was over-turned by the supreme court, although in their published opinion, they also conceeded that there was much impropriety on the part of the prosecution, just not enough "grevious" damage as to affect the original jurys verdict.
You can read up on it here http://www.jud.ct.gov/external/supapp/Cases/A... .
Gotta ask yourself, where is lhe line? When is it enough grevious damage. Read It.
Davi674

Oakville, CT

#13 Jan 23, 2009
Hey, Manchester Voter, are you for real? maybe you missed this part of todaysstory... "It certainly is an interesting issue to raise," Morano said recently. "There was no evidence that Dooley did anything inappropriate during the trial. The issue is, does it rise to possible juror misconduct to the point that the trial was compromised?" Get it a juror so enamored with the prosecutor that she may have tainted the jury pool. The woman persued this man immediatly following this young mans conviction, so soon in fact that he hadn't been sentanced yet.
Hope that clears up what the big deal is all about
Davi674

Oakville, CT

#14 Jan 23, 2009
Sorry to hit on this again, but it's very disturbing to me. I was under the impression that if you knew anyone involved with a case you were being considered for the jury on, that you would be dismissed as ineligable. Did this woman just forget that her dear friend, someone she felt comfortable enough with to see if she could fix her up with Mr. Dooly, through her brother, u know the one who not only worked at the court house where the trial took place, but actually worked on the investigation of the case. Seems to me she should have had enough sense to recuse herself when she lost her impartiality and found herself fasinated with and secretly rooting for the prosecution.
TTT

Oceanside, NY

#15 Jan 23, 2009
Davi674 wrote:
Sorry to hit on this again, but it's very disturbing to me. I was under the impression that if you knew anyone involved with a case you were being considered for the jury on, that you would be dismissed as ineligable. Did this woman just forget that her dear friend, someone she felt comfortable enough with to see if she could fix her up with Mr. Dooly, through her brother, u know the one who not only worked at the court house where the trial took place, but actually worked on the investigation of the case. Seems to me she should have had enough sense to recuse herself when she lost her impartiality and found herself fasinated with and secretly rooting for the prosecution.
did you write "ENOUGH SENSE TO RECUSE HERSELF" about a woman who was looking for MR RIGHT..dooley, i met him he was had to be MR RIGHT for her cus HE IS LOST SOUL..........DID YOU NOT GET THAT?
connect the dots....its a common action when working anywhere in the judicial system in ct
TTT

Oceanside, NY

#16 Jan 23, 2009
apparently the judges in ct need to know how far people go to FIND...mr or ms right..........

IF THE JUDGES ONLY KNEW...they would give this guy a new trial immediately...

IF NOT SOONER..........
TTT

Oceanside, NY

#17 Jan 23, 2009
CONNECTICUT JUDGES LET ME SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN KNOW THIS WOMAN WAS UP TO NO GOOD ON THE JURY

she sent messages to another to give to DOOLEY...she called people to talk about DOOLEY...OK...

if SHE SHE WERE A STABLE GROWN UP WOMAN...she would contained herself throughout the trial......and let a bit time pass.........and THEN...

WALKED UP AND INTRODUCED HERSELF TO DOOLEY...

judges...that is how ya know to give the kid a new trial....

THE JURY WAS TAINTED..........
TTT

Oceanside, NY

#18 Jan 23, 2009
the words are not ATTRACTED TO....

the words are....

THROUGHOUT THE TRIAL A JUROR WAS ENAMORED WITH THE PROSECUTING ATTORNEY...

she married him for gods sakes...not alot of brain power needed here...

GIVE THE KID A NEW TRIAL.
ANGEL

Oceanside, NY

#19 Jan 23, 2009
WELL WHAT I WISH JUDGES REALLY KNEW WAS...

TO WHAT DEGREE PEOPLE...AS IN LAWYER PEOPLE....WERE ACTING OUT THEIR PERSONAL DRAMAS. INNER CONFLICTS, MENTAL DEFECTS, EMOTIONAL SHORTCOMINGS AND SENSE OF INADEQUACIES IN THE COURTROOMS.........see if judge KNEW they would never let these lawyer people MAKE the COURTROOMS ..........their personal sand boxes.

THATS WHAT JUDGES NEED TO KNOW...
ANGEL

Oceanside, NY

#20 Jan 23, 2009
YES ATTORNEY CHRISTOPHER STONE AND CREW....

I AM TELLING ALL THE JUDGES ABOUT YOU...

cuz thats is what i do....POINT OUT CHILDISHNESS AND WASTED RESOURCES......NOT TO MENTION the relationships of all the players in your DRAMAS....

get a life.........OUTSIDE THE COURTROOM...

STONE IF YA SAT AND STARED AT YOUR WIFE ...THE WAY AND LENGTH OF TIME YA STARE AT ME...she might not be living in NEW YORK....

NOT TO MENTION how you move heaven and earth AND WASTE YOU BILLABLE HOURS SIMPLY TO SIT IN A COURTROOM AND STARE AT ME..........

bojko shouldnt u be lookin for a new career?
Assumed guilty until

Granby, CT

#21 Feb 18, 2009
What's with calling him "killer " in your byline? Think that kind of hack journalism will help anyone get a fair trial. Did anyone at the Courant get past the sixth grade? "Unbiased" reporting is obviously not part of the Knight Tribune mission statement.
mr capp

United States

#22 Feb 18, 2009
[Why all the caps in these posts?]

This stinks to high heaven about the juror.

Anyone got a good link to more info about this story?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danielson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Troop D dispatchers to return on July 1 May 23 Larry 1
jim zahansky ct DUI arrest May 7 bulldogb 1
News Brooklyn Teen Charged With Attempted Murder (May '08) Mar '15 Anton Ciguhr 10
Review: Hair Cuttery Mar '15 Nicole 1
Best time entertainment scam (Jun '14) Feb '15 danny brown 2
News Experts mystified by Plainfield's earthquake 's... Jan '15 Will 1
News a What's with all the earthquakes in Connecticut? Jan '15 Paul 1
More from around the web

Danielson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]