Nonprofit Coalition Focuses On Coveri...

Nonprofit Coalition Focuses On Covering The Uninsured

There are 39 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 18, 2008, titled Nonprofit Coalition Focuses On Covering The Uninsured. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The latest example is in Coventry, where the town council will be presented with a 400-name petition and proposed resolution tonight.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fed Up

Hamden, CT

#1 May 19, 2008
The problem is that these advocacy groups really do not understand the issues (believe it or not). Some of those who most need medical services are not able to purchase medical insurance due to pre-existing conditions. Others receive a benefit such as Medicare (which has major holes and limitations), but are unable to purchase so-called secondary coverage.

For many who have insurance or a government benefits program (Medicare, Medicaid, Husky, etc.), they are unable to locate providers who will take them on as a patient due to the bureaucracy of the plan and the low benefit rates paid to physicians, etc.

Getting municipalities to pass these resolutions is just a total waste of time, effort and resources.
Stop Already

United States

#2 May 19, 2008
The great majority of citizens have enough coverage. It is a small minority that don't and statistically that minority is mostly made up of healthy young men. Let's stop with the sob stories about the relatively rare cases of the unfortunate few. The citizens of this state can't afford more taxes to pay for a benefit for the very few.
William Costigan

Branford, CT

#3 May 19, 2008
Just another step towards socialized medicine ....which would be a disaster for all of us
YES

Canaan, CT

#4 May 19, 2008
What a great idea! EVERY employee in a non-profit, even large hospitals, should be covered under the state employee's insurance plan which is way more generous than it should be. It would likely raise the premiums for state workers but there's no rationale for all the non-profits that contract with the state to have employee insurance that's inferior to that of the state employees who do the exact same jobs but just get their paycheck from the State of Ct.
shoreliner

Guilford, CT

#5 May 19, 2008
William Costigan wrote:
Just another step towards socialized medicine ....which would be a disaster for all of us
That was exactly my thought.

Perhaps people should consider securing a job with good health insurance coverage over a job that pays the most?

The article described the Coventry group being led by a early 20-something grad of ECSU. What the heck does he know about the real world? But he wants to turn the state upside down due to a social cause that he has become impassioned about.

I would be curious to know how many, if any, of the 400 signatures collected in Coventry are from illegal immigrants.

Nationally, BHO's healthcare plan wants to cover the 40 to 50 million Americans uninsured. What BHO does not say is that these numbers include 10 to 12 million illegal immigrants.
JIM

Monroe, CT

#6 May 19, 2008
Time to shut down the health insurance scam. They are leeches that skim money off our healthcare system, and the money they steal should be going directly towards healthcare.
JIM

Monroe, CT

#7 May 19, 2008
Stop Already wrote:
The great majority of citizens have enough coverage. It is a small minority that don't and statistically that minority is mostly made up of healthy young men. Let's stop with the sob stories about the relatively rare cases of the unfortunate few. The citizens of this state can't afford more taxes to pay for a benefit for the very few.
If you had bothered to read the article you would see it's 10% of the people in Connecticut. That's not a small minority at all, that's a LOT of people.
crab

East Hartford, CT

#8 May 19, 2008
Again, the Courant forum delivers ruthless comments from a bunch of social Darwinists. This country should go to a government sponsored health insurance system. People in England and other European countries literally go their whole lives without paying a medical bill because of their government health care systems. And don't tell me their coverage is second rate.When I need to go to the doctor here, I find I have to wait weeks to get an appointment. Then when I do go, the doctor schedules a bunch of costly tests after spending 5 minutes with me. Sure, a gov-sponsored system will mean the expenditure of tax money, but guess what? Employers and residents will no longer be going bankrupt to pay for insurance. Also, EVERYONE will be covered, eliminating the countless horror stories about people who go bankrupt because they got sick between jobs. Ultimately, cases in which people get sick without coverage hurt our entire society, since the hospitals still have to care for them, driving up everyone else's costs. Gov-sponsorship would eliminate that by making every income earner pay in to the same program.
ANGEL

Waterbury, CT

#9 May 19, 2008
I would like to forwarn this coalition who has EAST HARTFORD on the list of towns they would like to approach to implement their insurance resolve...

I would like to give you a little advice,..

DO NOT GET ALONE WITH MAYOR CURREY...SHE HAS NO RESPECT FOR THE SANCTITIY OF HER OFFICE...SHE WILL BREAK AWAY FROM TH FACT OF THE MEETING AND GATHER INFORMATION FROM YOU AND ....PASS IT ALL AROUND TO PEOPLE YOU WOULD RATHER NOT HAVE IT...like...

THE SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS...MARTINES
THE CHIEF OF POLICE ...SIROUS
ATTORNEY/POLITICIAN.....STONE
TOWNS ATTORNEY.....CHADWICK
THE PRINCIPAL OF HS.....RYAN
THE VP'S OF THE HS....MARION
THE GLASTONBURY MANAGER ...JOHNSON
THE THE THE...

DON'T come into the TOWN OF EAST HARTORD EXPECTING and responsibility, respect, regard, honor, confidentiality or support...

BUT DO EXPECT THE INFORMATION YOU MIGHT SHARE WITH OUR TOWN LEADERS ...

TO BE TURNED INTO THEIR LATEST SOAP OPERA DRAMA...hey must be bored and HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO...other than that i REALLY see no reason WHY THE DO WHAT THEY DO...

OH AND COALITION...do not send any black people to east hartford...(or glastonbury either)

CUZ EVERYONE KNOW THEY AIN'T NO BLACKS ALLOWED IN THE BEVERLY PALM HOTEL..eddie murphy.
Jon Searles

Middletown, CT

#11 May 19, 2008
I do believe it's SOP in East Hartford for the Mayor to distribute any planned changes to all departments to verify that there aren't any overlooked conflicts before she forwards the change on to the council for approval.

When you present something to the Mayor there should be no expectation of privacy because just about anything can be FOI'd.
Gimme a break

Bristol, CT

#12 May 19, 2008
JIM wrote:
Time to shut down the health insurance scam. They are leeches that skim money off our healthcare system, and the money they steal should be going directly towards healthcare.
A voice of reason among the uninformed. Using the state employees pool to help the uninsured is wrong in that it gives our money to greedy insurance companies who only want to insure the wealthy so they can maximize their already bloated profits. A much better plan is HR 676 the national single payer plan which would cover everyone for ever. This would be paid for by payroll tax. The providers would be the same as you have now they would bill one entity. The government is already providing this service to seniors through medicare so it would just mean increasing the staffing to handle the caseload. If you already have health care you could negotiate for wages to make up the price you would have to pay. Since their would be no profits needed we would have cheaper insurance.
The scare tactics used by the insurance industry saying that the care in Canada is not as good as ours and that people their have to wait for care is grossly overstated. Just like here life threatening cases are done first and you may have to wait for a service if they are booked up at the time. I speak from experience since I have real events. One is from our system, my father needed open heart surgery at Yale New Haven Hospital. We admitted him twice and he was discharged for lack of space due to emergency situations that required the beds. He finnaly was admitted and died in the recovery room. He might have lived if he had the operation the first time.
The other involves my mother having a heart attack in Quebec at 5a.m. My brother took her to a rural trauma center 20 miles away. Their she was diagnosed and in collaboration with a major cardiac center they deyermined that she needed to be transfered. She arrived at the cardiac center at 8 a.m. and was operated on, had 2 stints put in and all of this before 10 a.m.. I am glad to say that 4 years later she is doing fine.
So instead of listening to the greedy insurance companies profiteering from our need for quality care let us call on our representatives to sign on to HR 676 and give us all health care.
For the Children

Southington, CT

#13 May 19, 2008
Only when town & State leaders do not have health care, will this change.
patty

Fairfield, CT

#14 May 19, 2008
William Costigan wrote:
when you use big words like"socialized medicine" make sure you understand their meaning versus what is actually being proposed. Keeping your head in the sand doesn't make problems go away...it just delays tragedy.
swhosley

United States

#15 May 19, 2008
Why talk to Gov. Rell, it's the Veto proof democrat legislature you have to convince! it is the legislature that makes, or doean't make the laws, the Governor only gets the blame!
swhosley

United States

#16 May 19, 2008
JIM wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had bothered to read the article you would see it's 10% of the people in Connecticut. That's not a small minority at all, that's a LOT of people.
That doesn't change the fact that the majority of those 10 percent are the Bullet Proof young workers!
Common Sense

Ansonia, CT

#17 May 19, 2008
JIM wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when is 10% a LOT of anything?
Common Sense

Ansonia, CT

#18 May 19, 2008
crab wrote:
Again, the Courant forum delivers ruthless comments from a bunch of social Darwinists. This country should go to a government sponsored health insurance system. People in England and other European countries literally go their whole lives without paying a medical bill because of their government health care systems. And don't tell me their coverage is second rate.When I need to go to the doctor here, I find I have to wait weeks to get an appointment. Then when I do go, the doctor schedules a bunch of costly tests after spending 5 minutes with me. Sure, a gov-sponsored system will mean the expenditure of tax money, but guess what? Employers and residents will no longer be going bankrupt to pay for insurance. Also, EVERYONE will be covered, eliminating the countless horror stories about people who go bankrupt because they got sick between jobs. Ultimately, cases in which people get sick without coverage hurt our entire society, since the hospitals still have to care for them, driving up everyone else's costs. Gov-sponsorship would eliminate that by making every income earner pay in to the same program.
Spoken like a true liberal.
Nino Brown

East Hartford, CT

#19 May 19, 2008
crab wrote:
Gee .... you have to wait WEEKS to get an appointment ..... WHEN I NEED A DOCTOR I WAIT HOURS MAYBE A DAY OR TO I want to see a doctor when I NEED him/her .... not waiting to make things worse .... THANK YOU SO MUCH for MAKING MY CASE !!!
crab

East Hartford, CT

#20 May 19, 2008
Nino Brown wrote:
<quoted text>Gee .... you have to wait WEEKS to get an appointment ..... WHEN I NEED A DOCTOR I WAIT HOURS MAYBE A DAY OR TO I want to see a doctor when I NEED him/her .... not waiting to make things worse .... THANK YOU SO MUCH for MAKING MY CASE !!!
Wow, I can't even understand what you're trying to communicate.
Think B 4 U Post

Stafford Springs, CT

#21 May 19, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when is 10% a LOT of anything?
When it comes to people, it is a lot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danielson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bedding sets (May '11) Nov '15 austinbridals 2
News Quality of Life Task Force Makes Narcotics Arrest Nov '15 american13 1
Danielson Music Thread (Dec '14) Aug '15 Musikologist 2
News 50 Things to do this weekend (Jun '15) Jun '15 American Gentlema... 1
News Boy Falls From 2nd-Story Ledge (Aug '08) Jun '15 Michelle juelfs 26
News Troop D dispatchers to return on July 1 (May '15) May '15 Larry 1
News Brooklyn Teen Charged With Attempted Murder (May '08) Mar '15 Anton Ciguhr 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Danielson Mortgages