Police Department critic: 'come on va...

Police Department critic: 'come on vacation, leave on probation' - ...

There are 67 comments on the Park Record story from Jun 11, 2010, titled Police Department critic: 'come on vacation, leave on probation' - .... In it, Park Record reports that:

A Wasatch County man Thursday night sharply criticized the Park City Police Department in an appearance before Mayor Dana Williams and the Park City Council, claiming that the police mishandled what was a suspected drunken driving case involving him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
two cents

Bountiful, UT

#1 Jun 11, 2010
what a terribly written story.

we all have our stories about the gestapo in park city... so why can the PR not report on the actual story? what exactly went down when this guy was pulled over? what did the police do for the court to drop the drunk driving charge?

i would LOVE to know the details, not the fluff that this article was.
pc resident

West Jordan, UT

#2 Jun 11, 2010
I agree with the poor quality of writing. I had difficulty following the train of thought in the article. What are the details?--and in an orderly, coherent presentation, please.
Jess Fax

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Jun 11, 2010
The reporter or editor decided that instead of providing even one detail of the man's story, we learn that the person "spoke at length about the case".

Is this a lazy reporter or an editor trying to keep the public from learning about a public complaint about the police?
jim blade

Utica, MI

#4 Jun 12, 2010
It does seem that there is a big disconnect between the citizens of park city and the police dept.
Its possible that the police dept leadership simply fosters poor thinking in its officers.
It is also possible that the dept is viewed as a "money maker" for city hall and consequently has a screwed up "mission".(constantl y harassing parkites)
At any rate it is clear that the police dept and the people of park city need a much improved rapport and sense of respect for each other.
It is on the police dept leadership to make this happen.
If the present chief can not accomplish that -- he should be replaced.
Bob

Draper, UT

#5 Jun 12, 2010
There are two things about Park City that you can take to the bank. 1. There are no journalists in town. 2. The police are corrupt.
Anonymous Parkite

Salt Lake City, UT

#6 Jun 12, 2010
Good article or bad article, I'm glad to see the media is starting to take interest in exposing our overzealous law enforcement in both the city and the county. We all either have our own stories or know someone that has a story of them getting preyed on by law enforcement. Over memorial day weekend I saw more Dave edmunds militia on the road pulling people over than I remember when president bush was in town.

We need to take our town back. If you are stopped and stone cold sober, tell the cop you are prepared to lawyer up, and if they look forward to spending an hour in court getting ripped apart by counsel, they should think twice.
Fed up with the Sheriff

West Jordan, UT

#7 Jun 12, 2010
There are countless other stories like this. Both Summit County and Park City law enforcement, have turned on their own, like sharks in a pool of blood. You know there is something wrong with the place you live in when the main road into town is known by everyone as the "gauntlet"
stupid

United States

#8 Jun 12, 2010
I also noticed all the law enforcement on the roadways over Memorial Day weekend. How dare they put more police officers on the roads when traffic increases. I mean, why would we need them to try to stop all the reckless drivers speeding through our county as they travel to their vacation destination. How dare they make traffic stops on people that have violated a law. How dare they try to maintain safe roadways for me and my family to travel on. How dare they respond to emergencies that the citizens of the county have called in. How dare they arrest a tourist for driving under the influence. They really should just turn a blind eye to that kind of stuff so the tourist can come again and spend money for the tax base. I mean after all, the cops are all corrupt, so why not let lawlessness rule.

Do you that complain about the police understand that this is what you sound like. Understand, I will be the first to be critical of a police officer doing something wrong, but I refuse to attack them for doing their jobs. The legislators make the rules and they need soldiers to enforce those laws. Those soldiers are the law enforcement officers you criticize for doing what we pay them to do. They protect you every day and would lay down their lives, without hesitation, just to make our wonderful way of live in this community safe. Maybe we should tell them thank you in place of telling them they will be "ripped apart" in court by counsel. If they mistreat you, make a founded complaint and any administrator would be stupid not to take action.

Maybe you don't agree with what I have said, but then again, maybe it will make you think twice before attacking law enforcement as a whole in the future.
sofa king

West Jordan, UT

#9 Jun 12, 2010
agree on the poorly written article.

so he admits to drinking beer before driving outbound on DV drive. and that is all they tell us about the events other than he was humiliated?

Come on Jay - tell us what happened so we can know whether he is a just a whining d-bag or whether there might have been some impropriety on the part of PCPD. being a cop is tough...so many no-win situations out there. i still don't want to dry clean their uniforms, though.
Annoyed Local

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Jun 12, 2010
The police system in this town is a fucking joke!I've lived in Park City for over 35 years as a full time resident and have never seen anything like that past year in Park City. My family has been pulled over and harrassed by the Park City police over 12 times in the last 2 months! These are a few of the reasons I have been pulled over:

1. Having a bike rack connected to my hitch (same rack that cops have on the back of their jeeps no less!)

2. Driving too late during the evening!(2am grocery run for tampons, not exactly a huge offense!)

3. Driving home a intoxicated friend who was also harrassed for drinking a few beers.(friend was 35 years old and far from drunk getting a very safe and sober ride home. So much for being responsible!)

4. Driving late at night again!!!(this time, I was hassled because my license plate bulbs weren't "bright enough"

I have yet to be pulled over for speeding, running stop signs, or drunk driving. What the hell is going on with the cops lately! Anyone else experiencing this big brother bullshit!?!
Annoyed Local

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Jun 12, 2010
I also agree with the other comments, this article is pointless. Jay, what is the point in writing something that gives no information. Aren't you supposed to be a journalist? Where is the "hunt for truth" in your writing. This is a sad sad effort, if even that, to write an article that shows any information at all.
Questioning

Salt Lake City, UT

#12 Jun 12, 2010
I just returned home from a 9:30am Saturday morning run to the barbershop going from The Oaks to Prospector, a little over 3 miles. I passed four of PC's finest - two hunkered down waiting for who knows what. This has become typical in the area and sometimes I pass as many as three traffic stops just on the way to the grocery store. The number of complaints I hear from neighbors and particularly visitors to town has gone off the scale in the last six months. It would appear that the police department is being used for revenue generation rather than law enforcement.
danny

South Jordan, UT

#13 Jun 12, 2010
OK kiddies! First there are three different law enforcement agencies that work in Summit County (that's your county if you live in Park City, Jeremy Ranch, and no, not Dead Deer Mountain) Edmunds is a Sheriff, Carpenter is the chief of Police. Now, here is the big question, what was the BAC on this guy when he was arrested? Thats blood alcohol kids. Apparently enough to spend the night in jail. What was he doing behind the wheel? Darned illegals. Funny how you wimps never post if the name is not Martinez.
hey now

Ogden, UT

#14 Jun 12, 2010
Annoyed Local wrote:
The police system in this town is a fucking joke!I've lived in Park City for over 35 years as a full time resident and have never seen anything like that past year in Park City. My family has been pulled over and harrassed by the Park City police over 12 times in the last 2 months! These are a few of the reasons I have been pulled over:
1. Having a bike rack connected to my hitch (same rack that cops have on the back of their jeeps no less!)
2. Driving too late during the evening!(2am grocery run for tampons, not exactly a huge offense!)
3. Driving home a intoxicated friend who was also harrassed for drinking a few beers.(friend was 35 years old and far from drunk getting a very safe and sober ride home. So much for being responsible!)
4. Driving late at night again!!!(this time, I was hassled because my license plate bulbs weren't "bright enough"
I have yet to be pulled over for speeding, running stop signs, or drunk driving. What the hell is going on with the cops lately! Anyone else experiencing this big brother bullshit!?!
haha i know how you feel. 1 am, driving a friend home, got pulled over for my license plate light bulb being burnt out. oh and was asked where i was coming from and going because it was awfully late to be out at night.

a second time. license plate light bulb was the excuse after i was asked where i was headed and why i was out so late. this was 500 feet from my parking lot to my place.

i don't mind if i'm pulled over for breaking the law. but i'm not to keen on being pulled over when i'm a law abiding citizen.

but who knows, i wonder if they just see a young woman in a car and think i'm an easy target? or they were genuinely concerned for my safety.
RICH

United States

#15 Jun 12, 2010
The police are not helping our community by overzelous pull-overs. Main Street is struggling, as we all are, economically and they are scaring potential visitors away.
sofa king

West Jordan, UT

#16 Jun 12, 2010
hey now wrote:
<quoted text>
haha i know how you feel. 1 am, driving a friend home, got pulled over for my license plate light bulb being burnt out. oh and was asked where i was coming from and going because it was awfully late to be out at night.
a second time. license plate light bulb was the excuse after i was asked where i was headed and why i was out so late. this was 500 feet from my parking lot to my place.
i don't mind if i'm pulled over for breaking the law. but i'm not to keen on being pulled over when i'm a law abiding citizen.
but who knows, i wonder if they just see a young woman in a car and think i'm an easy target? or they were genuinely concerned for my safety.
this is actually happening all over the country. if you can get anyone to admit it, they have been instructed to write more tickets. The City is going to get its extra revenue to spend on more boondoggle shyt one way or another...property taxes got shot down, so expect more pullovers.

Sad thing is the PCPD is getting the rap for this, but I guarantee they are just following orders. Don't take it all out on them.

Any PCPD folks out there willing to let us know what's up...it anonymous...
Dont Listen to me

West Jordan, UT

#17 Jun 12, 2010
Where is the great SLC police chief on this?

http://www.ksl.com/...

For him to speak out on the illegal issue and not his is well, hypocritcal, dont ouy think?
Dont Listen to me

West Jordan, UT

#18 Jun 12, 2010
Sorry about the spelling, you get the idea....
Law Abiding Citizen

Park City, UT

#19 Jun 12, 2010
sofa king wrote:
<quoted text>
this is actually happening all over the country. if you can get anyone to admit it, they have been instructed to write more tickets. The City is going to get its extra revenue to spend on more boondoggle shyt one way or another...property taxes got shot down, so expect more pullovers.
Sad thing is the PCPD is getting the rap for this, but I guarantee they are just following orders. Don't take it all out on them.
Any PCPD folks out there willing to let us know what's up...it anonymous...
You should check your facts. Park City Municipal doesn't get any money from traffic tickets, it all goes to run the Summit County Justice Court. And it seems the only people who are bloggin complaints here are those that have been pulled over.
stupid

Kamas, UT

#21 Jun 12, 2010
Agree with Law Abiding Citizen. Do any of you wonder how the criminals get to the locations where they commit the crimes. For all you complainers, they use the roadways that you use. The cops stop the cars for legal reasons to investigate for possible further crimes. If you don't want to get pulled over, fix the license plate bulb on your car idiot. Oh and maybe slow down. After living here for 35 years, maybe you should understand the growth in the Park City area was too much for infrastructure. The cops have to slow people down to keep the Law Abiding Citizens from being killed by people that don't want to drive safely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Twin power yoga park city (Nov '14) Jun 10 Duffy 10
saw this gem, thought I'd pass it on: May '16 Yoga Flame 1
News Dr. Dumb May '16 Three Days 1
Debate: Marijuana - Park City, UT (Aug '10) Apr '16 Wiley 15
i miss you (Mar '06) Mar '16 Suzanna Jayne Macon 9
News Legendary Park City dairyman dies - The Park Re... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jeff 7
News Daniel Arthur Noorda (Mar '09) Mar '09 unlisted 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Daniel Mortgages