Survivors of Ex-Gay Movement Uniting In Fort Lauderdale

Apr 16, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Broward-Palm Beach - News

"It was a disaster for me personally," said Kevin Schupp, speaking last week to South Florida Gay News about his time in an "ex-gay" group in Dania.

Comments
81 - 93 of 93 Comments Last updated May 2, 2011
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#83 Apr 28, 2011
LindaS wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my God, how old are you, 12???
"I know you are, but what am I?" "nanny nanny boo boooo!"
went out of style by the time you got out of elementary school, didn't you notice?
You are just plain boring me now.
Awww did I hurt your widdle nambla like feewins?

To bad degenerate.

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#84 Apr 28, 2011
notme wrote:
I'm an administrator here and i very rarely post but I do have to say I totaly agree.
You agree with what?

Location hidden

#85 Apr 28, 2011
“Ex-Gay” Survivor Group Launched in Florida

The Reverend Jerry Stephenson has launched a group for “ex-gay” survivors in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Truth Wins Out founder and executive director Wayne Besen reported on the formation of the group, God’s Worthy Creation, with the Atlantic Institute Spiritual Counseling Center. Stephenson, also the author of several books on “ex-gay” survival, serves as a Truth Wins Out board member.

Location hidden

#86 Apr 28, 2011
Never Trust Politrickians wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww did I hurt your widdle nambla like feewins?
To bad degenerate.
Hardly, you don't have that much power, you just bore me.
Jason

Hollywood, FL

#87 Apr 28, 2011
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
They are both abnormal perversians that one is born with and therepy just doesnt seem to help cure either of these phenomenons. Go figure.
You fffuuuccckking Hoare! get of our discussion!

Location hidden

#88 Apr 29, 2011
LindaS wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly, you don't have that much power, you just bore me.
Oh dear I have enraged the lib degenerate yet again...

There are meds for your condition ya know...

And soon... we can repair the damaged genes that make you abnormal.

Location hidden

#89 Apr 29, 2011
Last summer several religious right-wing groups, including Focus on the Family and the Christian Coalition, began placing ads in national newspapers touting “hope for healing” and “truth in love” for those of us “living a homosexual lifestyle.” We were told we could change through prayer and belief in Jesus Christ. This distorted Christian theology is not just crazy but also scientifically unsound.

“Conversion” groups promise the impossible. Years are spent in prayer, fasting, in isolation, and, in extreme cases, undergoing torturous procedures such as electro-shock therapy. Sham marriages, fake relationships, and inner pain are the only results.

the American Medical Association (AMA), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Association of Pediatrics (AAP), and every other major scientific and medical group has come out in opposition to so-called “reparative” and “conversion” therapies.

The APA’s statement stressed that “reparative therapy” is not benign and that it often has deleterious effects. According to the statement,“The potential risks of ‘reparative therapy’ are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient. Many patients... were inaccurately told that homosexuals are lonely, unhappy individuals who never achieve acceptance or satisfaction. The possibility that the person might achieve happiness and satisfying interpersonal relationships as a gay man or lesbian is not presented, nor are alternative approaches to dealing with the effects of societal stigmatization discussed... the APA opposes any treatment, such as ‘reparative’ or ‘conversion’ therapy which is based on the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based on a prior assumption that the patient should change his/her sexual orientation.”

Location hidden

#90 Apr 29, 2011
Forgot the link:
http://tech.mit.edu/V119/N11/col2.11c.html

These “ex-gay” groups prey on those of us who haven’t come to understand that being gay does not have to mean living in a place of hurt and loneliness. Gay men and lesbians live full, complete, and healthy lives. Justin Chin, a reporter for The Progressive who went undercover into an “ex-gay conversion” program sums up his experience:“Ultimately, the difference between gays and ex-gays is like the difference between cheese and cheddar. The ex-gays try to drown their homosexuality in Bible verses, marriage, family, and their own new subcultural niche, but their homosexuality remains...

Location hidden

#91 May 1, 2011
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-bri...

The purpose of this investigation was to find out how conversion therapists operate. What I didn't expect was that I would learn how their patients feel: confused and damaged.

I began to constantly analyse why I found particular men attractive. Does that man represent something that's lacking in me? Do I want him because he looks strong which must mean I feel weak? Did something happen in my childhood? The therapists planted doubt and worry where there was none.

My experiences, I learn, are typical. I speak to Daniel Gonzalez, one of Nicolosi's former clients. "Conversion therapy is a very complicated form of repression," he says. "It's a way of convincing yourself that your same sex attractions have some alternate meaning. It continued to haunt me for years."

I also speak to Peterson Toscano, who spent 17 years in Britain and the US trying every different reorientation treatment available. He says simply: "It's psychological torture."

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#92 May 2, 2011
Never Trust Politrickians wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh dear I have enraged the lib degenerate yet again...
There are meds for your condition ya know...
And soon... we can repair the damaged genes that make you abnormal.
She didn't seem enraged at all.

But the inability to accurately judge what is going on around you is a sign of mental illness.

You are quite sad, really.

What made you this way?

Location hidden

#93 May 2, 2011
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
She didn't seem enraged at all.
But the inability to accurately judge what is going on around you is a sign of mental illness.
You are quite sad, really.
What made you this way?
Oh my another loon on the attack.

Deal with the fact that we do not accept your ABNORMAL lifestyle as good.

Deal with the fact that gays do indeed rape people... somehow you loons think a man raping a boy is not homosexuality..... perhaps you should look up the word again libby.

If you want a fact... the fact is that we have been getting closer and closer to identifying the aberration that allows homosexuality. We are still mapping DNA... we have made leaps in understanding the human Genome. We can identify many problem with prenatal exams and in time we can correct them.... in time we can cure all aberrations..... THAT is a reality pal. We will find out what made YOU that way.

Location hidden

#94 May 2, 2011
But among those 18 to 34 years old, 58 percent said same-sex marriages should be legal. Only 24 percent of Americans 65 and older support recognizing same-sex marriages, according to the CNN poll, but they're old and they'll die sooner.

Location hidden

#95 May 2, 2011
Nicholas Groth, a clinical psychologist and author of Men Who Rape: The Psychology of the Offender, says all sexual assault is an act of aggression, regardless of the gender or age of the victim or the assailant. Neither sexual desire nor sexual deprivation is the primary motivating force behind sexual assault. It is not about sexual gratification, but rather a sexual aggressor using somebody else as a means of expressing their own power and control.
There are many reasons that male victims do not come forward and report being raped, but perhaps the biggest reason for many males is the fear of being perceived as homosexual. However, male sexual assault has nothing to do with the sexual orientation of the attacker or the victim, just as a sexual assault does not make the victim survivor gay, bisexual or heterosexual. It is a violent crime that affects heterosexual men as much as gay men. The phrase "homosexual rape," for instance, which is often used by uninformed persons to designate male-male rape, camouflages the fact that the majority of the rapists are not generally homosexual (Donaldson, 1990).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 min J RULES 68,991
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min Brian_G 46,316
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,100,230
Why should you have a say?? 3 hr Loralita 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr TRD 68,369
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 17 hr Pearl Jam 305,446
Florida Supreme Court disciplines 24 attorneys 21 hr mad michelle 4
•••
•••
Dania Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Dania Jobs