Campaign laws broken in attack fliers...

Campaign laws broken in attack fliers, Dania candidates say; le...

There are 25 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 13, 2009, titled Campaign laws broken in attack fliers, Dania candidates say; le.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The anonymous attack fliers started arriving in mailboxes the weekend before Tuesday's municipal election, dirtying up an otherwise clean campaign.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dania Resident

West Palm Beach, FL

#26 Mar 18, 2009
State campaign finance laws exist for a reason. Their ultimate intent to protect the citizens against unfair and unethical election antics.

Anyone who received the "anti-Duke" flyer (and I believe that was every registered voter) received an illegal piece of campaign literature. Same goes for the "anti-Hankerson" piece, although that apparently was not as widely distributed. The state should investigate who distributed them (and who wronged EVERY Dania voter) and prosecute. If the aggrieved candidates don't decide to pursue this, the voters should.

And if it turns out that any public officials were involved in any capacity, they need to be sent packing.

You break the law, you pay the consequences. It's as simple as that.
K-9 Gijoe

Columbus, OH

#30 Aug 27, 2009
I've lived in Dania just about my hole life and its seems like even since the last time I came back from Iraq it was the same and sounds to me like when I come back "this time" nothing will have changed again.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#31 Apr 23, 2010
I remember that wrote:
<quoted text>
Mac shot the guy in his junkyard because he was stealing car radios. His son yelled at the kid and the kid pulled a gun out and pointed it at his son. Mac took the shot and got the kid. Nothing wrong with that. Kid was in the wrong.
I agree. While I basically don't like grumpy old Big Mac, anyone committing burglary and also pulling a gun deserves to have his private parts shot off. Didn't Florida have any "castle laws" at that time?
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#32 Apr 23, 2010
miralasky wrote:
as you leave the airport the 1st city you enter on A1A is Dania, that entire strech should be looking like a jewel, instead of a a slum , nice lasting impression, perhaps thats the reason the airport keeps expanding south
What you say makes sense if your concern is for what the tourists will think. But we elect officials to care what WE think. The whole problem is that we have not bothered to develop other businesses, and are too dependent on tourism. Arts and craft, assembling goods, backyard agriculture, light garment manufacturing....so many things are possible.

A community that depends too much on money spent by outsiders develops the mentality of a kept woman.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#33 Jan 8, 2011
get with the program wrote:
<quoted text>
This is all about Dania, not Plantation
True but irrelevant. The point the poster was making is that similar cases of attack posters occur elsewhere. I don't care if the fliers were illegal, because much of what they said resonated with me. Yep, Duke and his supporters are "carpetbaggers" who seek to hijack Dania and run it in the interests of business, not the voters. To cover up their agenda they need to create goodwill and garner support. That is why Duke is so supportive of Bobbie Grace, who represents the poorer sections.

Duke dared to tell me to leave town if I didn't like the way it is being run. I told him that America is not a fascist state, a citizen has a right to insult the government, and that he and Bobbie Grace can both go do a drowning suicide if they don't like freedom of speech.

If people can't stomach angry self-expression, they need to get out of public life. I also intend to contact the ACLU to see whether any rules of procedure during public hearings might violate the Constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,263,740
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 31 min zazz 97,457
News Victoria Justice goes from Hollywood to Hollywood (Jul '10) 1 hr Victoria Dawn Jus... 4
News Photos: Next Big Tween Star: Victoria Justice (Mar '11) 1 hr Victoria Dawn Jus... 2
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Gas Woman 70,145
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Mexico 54,319
the outlaws motorcycle gang in south Florida is... (Feb '11) 3 hr Chrisbrainard01 241
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dania Mortgages