Proposed manatee protection plan slas...

Proposed manatee protection plan slashes number of new Broward ...

There are 24 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 11, 2007, titled Proposed manatee protection plan slashes number of new Broward .... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

A proposed Broward County manatee protection plan would allow 4,242 new boat slips along the county's waterways, a sharp decrease from a previous draft that was rejected by the state as insufficient to defend ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Capt Tom

Merritt Island, FL

#22 May 13, 2007
MyNewAlias wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care about the manatees because there is nothing I can do to save them. I just don't want usualthe usual bunch of idiots running wild along our waterways at high speeds.
Speaking of which the slow speed is for the boater - not the manatee. Like the manatee can get out of the way or something.
Yes, the manatee can "get out of the way" IF it detects an oncoming vessel. Manatees while normally slow can move at 21 feet/sec or 14+ MPH for short distances and can continually travel at 4-5 MPH for extended periods.

A vessel travelling at 4 MPH cannot be heard by the manatee until it is ~ 12' or 2 seconds away. A vessel on plane can be heard ~ 560' or 16 seconds away. This is based on empirical test data collected in Dr. Edmund Gerstein's research in Brevard County waters.

Gerstein has developed an inexpensive manatee alerting device that can be installed on vessels.

Manatees and boats can go exist. We need only to apply some existing technology.
MyNewAlias

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#23 May 13, 2007
Man and manatees cannot coexist as long as we build docks in manatee habitat, dump mercury in manatee habitat, dump fecal matter in manatee habitat, or cruise boats in manatee habitat.
With 4500 new docks and 4500 new boats boats in the water which way is the propeller coming from? At which speed? I wonder what a boat motor sounds like bouncing off the concrete walls underwater in new river?
Its unfortunate that you will get your docks.
beaglebabe

Rochester, NY

#24 Aug 12, 2007
the people wrote:
shoot the useless things-who really cares
how about taking that attitude towards you and the rest of mankind
beaglebabe

Rochester, NY

#25 Aug 12, 2007
I fell in love with manatees on my first trip to florida. If we don't protect them - who will protect us?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min VetnorsGate 1,510,356
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 2 hr not a mental cripple 8,083
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 hr Long Island Liberal 63,591
News Gambler' Sees Profits In Distressed Real Estate... 12 hr Sbentsen 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Tue Mabinogi 313,678
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Tue TRD 71,275
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Mon zazz 98,369

Dania Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dania Mortgages