Proposed manatee protection plan slas...

Proposed manatee protection plan slashes number of new Broward ...

There are 24 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 11, 2007, titled Proposed manatee protection plan slashes number of new Broward .... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

A proposed Broward County manatee protection plan would allow 4,242 new boat slips along the county's waterways, a sharp decrease from a previous draft that was rejected by the state as insufficient to defend ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Danny

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 May 12, 2007
Who cares about the stupid manatees. They are not native. They are not endangered. Let us enjoy the damn water. We are taxed to hell. Give us some break in life.
Jen

Hollywood, FL

#2 May 12, 2007
I disagree. As long as we humans keep up this attitude that we don't have to share the world with the rest of the living creatures, we're headed for trouble. The intracoastal is too crowded with boats already.
the people

United States

#3 May 12, 2007
shoot the useless things-who really cares
Steven- Coral Springs FL

Pompano Beach, FL

#4 May 12, 2007
This is why our government becomes more doomed everyday. When the measure of effective legislaton is the relative "happiness" of oposing factions we get a bunch of stupid, irrelevant laws. Its striving for mediocrity.

I am referring to the statement made by the Seira club, "Neither side is happy with this, and I guess that implies this is an OK plan.""
DEFENDER

New Orleans, LA

#5 May 12, 2007
Man At ease!
MARY

United States

#6 May 12, 2007
I agree with Steven.
cavros is happy when "neither side is happy"

Cavros should go flog himself. That might make him really happy.
Mr Grouper

Alexandria, VA

#7 May 12, 2007
I say eat the damn things. Have you ever tried one they taste like Chicken.
patrickfll

Hialeah, FL

#8 May 12, 2007
Let the manatees fend for themselves.
Grady White

Hollywood, FL

#9 May 12, 2007
If thats what they want then let the Manatees bring in Millions of Dollars that Support the Counties of South Florida.Without the Marine industry there would a lot less money and jobs.
Audrey

New Orleans, LA

#10 May 12, 2007
May we suggest you move elsewhere if you do not care about the animals. Too bad, so sad. Guess you cannot afford to live on the water, or cannot afford a boat slip? Go elsewhere with your boat and whining. Lots of room for you in Georgia, or the Carolinas!
Big Jim

AOL

#11 May 12, 2007
AS much as I loathe these moronic boaters, I must say.... 6 manatee deaths last year, considering the boat traffic, is a suprisingly low number. I do see manatee quite often cruising the shoreline from the port to Haulover inlet and I can't recall seeing blade marks on their backs.
The Kooch

Charlotte, NC

#12 May 12, 2007
Audrey wrote:
May we suggest you move elsewhere if you do not care about the animals. Too bad, so sad. Guess you cannot afford to live on the water, or cannot afford a boat slip? Go elsewhere with your boat and whining. Lots of room for you in Georgia, or the Carolinas!
That is a moronic statement, Audrey. I love the manatees, and that is why so much effort is being put into the task of balancing their safety with the needs of Broward County's boating community. I don't know if you realize that there are more boats registered in Broward County than any other county in Florida, the United States, or anywhere else in the world. The economic impact of the boating industry allows Broward to exist. Some problems, such as an elitist attitude regarding the casual, small boat owner, need to be worked out. Broward County is experiencing numerous issues related to poor growth-management, including water-supply, schools, transportation, protection of environmental resources, open space, and other quality of life issues. Simply telling people to move away is not a solution, you twit.
Sensible Cyclist

Hollywood, FL

#14 May 12, 2007
The manatees are gentle creatures who mean no harm to anyone. If more boaters were responsible and drove slowly and carefully instead of operating like self centered drunken idiots, this would not be an issue. Boating is a privelege, and should be treated as such. No one has the right to drive a boat unsafely and fast on any waterway, not to mention the crowded and often difficult to navigate waterways of South Florida.
Rat

Hollywood, FL

#15 May 12, 2007
Manatees are killed more by illnees or things like red tide. When was the last time you heard of a manatee getting killed by a smaller vessel (60 foot or less)? The last manatee that was killed here in Fort Lauderdale was hit by a cruise ship in the port, it cut him/her in half. They say the manatees can't get out of the way of a fast moving vessel...... heck, They can't get out of the way of a 3 MPH cruise ship.
MyNewAlias

New Orleans, LA

#16 May 12, 2007
Same scenario as Callery-Ridge. Here again we see a proposal for an outrageous number of boat slips only to have the number they really wanted approved. This way the County Commissioners can say they stand up to developers.
Voice of reason

Hollywood, FL

#17 May 12, 2007
It's a compromise that both sides can live with - it give the indusrty relief and adds some protection for manatees, what's the big deal - just let it go already ... this is much adieu about nothing.
slim

United States

#18 May 12, 2007
what about the artic seals, why are there no artic seal zones like there are manatee zones
Rat

Hollywood, FL

#19 May 12, 2007
slim wrote:
what about the artic seals, why are there no artic seal zones like there are manatee zones
Yeah, we have a 100% death rate on artic seals
Capt Tom

Merritt Island, FL

#20 May 13, 2007
Restricting the number of boat docks will do little to protect manatees.
The 13 Coastal Counties' Manatee Protection Plans (MPP) are predicated on opinions and Junk Science rather than empirical data as required by a competent science approach.
Likewise, the extensive slow speed zones required by the MPP’s and implemented through out Florida have not reduced the average watercraft-related manatee mortality, and there is a good reason for that: manatees when submerged rely on acoustical cues to avoid vessels in our normally murky waters.
Slowing vessels down makes it more difficult for manatees to detect oncoming vessels because slow vessels emit lower frequency and lower amplitude noise.
The manatee protectors have refused to apply the best available science, and therein lay the shame and blame.
MyNewAlias

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 May 13, 2007
Capt Tom wrote:
Restricting the number of boat docks will do little to protect manatees.
The 13 Coastal Counties' Manatee Protection Plans (MPP) are predicated on opinions and Junk Science rather than empirical data as required by a competent science approach.
Likewise, the extensive slow speed zones required by the MPP’s and implemented through out Florida have not reduced the average watercraft-related manatee mortality, and there is a good reason for that: manatees when submerged rely on acoustical cues to avoid vessels in our normally murky waters.
Slowing vessels down makes it more difficult for manatees to detect oncoming vessels because slow vessels emit lower frequency and lower amplitude noise.
The manatee protectors have refused to apply the best available science, and therein lay the shame and blame.
I don't care about the manatees because there is nothing I can do to save them. I just don't want the usual bunch of idiots running wild along our waterways at high speeds.
Speaking of which the slow speed is for the boater - not the manatee. Like the manatee can get out of the way or something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min Cheech the Conser... 1,535,663
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr silly rabbit 314,353
News Gay Couple and Their 3 Kids Denied 'Family Boar... 10 hr Gremlin 9
Pet medium 13 hr Barroc 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) May 23 TRD 71,288
News Pit bull ban: Ban pit bulls - they don't belong... (Jun '09) May 23 Love my pitties 1,039
CardioFlex Therapy joins Medicaid! May 23 CardioFlex 1

Dania Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dania Mortgages