Miami Archdiocese: Miami Archdiocese ...

Miami Archdiocese: Miami Archdiocese considers closing or mergi...

There are 15 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 1, 2009, titled Miami Archdiocese: Miami Archdiocese considers closing or mergi.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Even God is not recession-proof. For evidence, you only had to show up at the 8 a.m. Monday mass at Church of the Resurrection in Dania Beach , where stunned parishioners dabbed tears from their eyes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

CaliGal

AOL

#1 Jun 1, 2009
This is sad to hear but not surprising.

I would hope that as Catholics....they remember that "when two or more gather in His name, He is there"..... You don't need walls or pews or candles or colored robes..... When two or more gather in His name... HE IS THERE.

These families and this church are in my prayers today. And should the doors need to close, I will pray that those who are affected find comfort at another location.
Cindy McCain

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Jun 1, 2009
They are closing because they have milked all the cash they could and now that the mansions are bought, fancy cars are sitting in their driveways and off shore accounts are filled with fools money they are hauling butt and closing up their cash cows before they actually give some of that money back to the community. Using the recession is the lamest excuse to part ways.. The saddest part is religious people are too dumb to figure it out. YOU'VE BEEN SCAMMED SUCKERS!
Shana

Hollywood, FL

#5 Jun 1, 2009
More and more Catholic churches will close if priests are not allowed to marry and women cannot aspire to higher office in the church. It is not relevant to the times, and like dinosaurs, will become extinct. This group of unmarried men who have a high percentage of pedophiles do not make priests that most younger people will look up to. The cover ups of sexual predators continues to this day. What woman of today will wish to be a nun, basically a second class citizen in their hierarchy? The median age of nuns is elderly. No one is replacing them. Church membership is composed of older people who grew up in the church, younger folks are choosing options that are more appealing in this day and age.

People are fleeing in droves. If the Catholic church does not grow, within 150 years it will be a small, almost non-existent, movement, still headed up by celibate angry old white men, it's assets sold to pay for innumerable lawsuits.
Ray

Oviedo, FL

#6 Jun 2, 2009
Wow, such hatred for the church, shows how far our moral compass has gone wrong. Even as an agnostic, such posts sadden the heart.
RoseBush

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jun 2, 2009
It's always good news when a church closes. That means there's one less place fleecing ignorant people from their money.
The bad news is that for every church that closes 10 more open up in its place, continuing the cycle of keeping people poor and in total ignorance.
Sadden Heart

Jupiter, FL

#8 Jun 2, 2009
Ray wrote:
Wow, such hatred for the church, shows how far our moral compass has gone wrong. Even as an agnostic, such posts sadden the heart.
Don't be sad.

One does not have to be a believer to embrace morality. You need to have your compass checked out and think freely. A good cleaning is helpful.

August

Homestead, FL

#9 Jun 2, 2009
What's the problem? A true believer should not need to sit in a specific building to be close to God. I understand the "fellowship" view but if you can't enjoy your own company, how can anyone else?
DOLLY

United States

#11 Jun 2, 2009
"even God is not recession proof."
What a horrible thing to say. God is the owner of all, sometimes we have to go through trials and tribulations as tests to see if we will still have faith in our Father and worship Him even in those times. God is everywhere and He listens and receives all prayers from everywhere, not just one bldg.
NoSacredCow

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Jun 2, 2009
Question: when the church sells the property do they pay a tax? Finally?

Dania will be happy to have some property rejoin the tax rolls.

Folks the catholic church is a franchise business, plain and simple. They are closing churches all over the country because they are no longer feasible. Just like Starbucks has been closing locations.
Shanghailil

Potomac, MD

#13 Jun 2, 2009
I've been going to this church for 20+ years. The reason this church is closing is two fold: 1: The attendance numbers just arn't there. I remember when I first started going there and on Christmas and Easter it was standing room only. This is due to the fact that so many people have dropped out of the catholic faith. The general population of this parish is made up of elderly folks and when they die there just arn't young people to take their place. Reason number 2 is this: Alot of this church's population is made up of people who live on that all illustrious "fixed income." When I went to church on Saturday, I noticed a woman place $1 in the collection basket. This same woman had her hair coiffed to perfection. She probably tipped her hairstylist more than she put into the collection basket. We also have alot of snowbirds who feel that since they only go to our church "part time" that they don't feel the need to support the parish financially. Their excuse is "Well, we have to support our parishes up north." The question is do they really send their churches up north a tithe while they are down here vacationing for the winter months? I'd bet not! Long story short, I, too, am sad that the parish is closing but in bad economic times like this one has to be realistic. I moved from a home up north that I lived in for 30 years and left a wonderful church back there but I adjusted. I'm just hoping that the good people of Resurrection will do the same. Sometimes change is good. Resurrection was a good church and it's people, too, are good people. Now let's take that goodness to other churches and show them just the stuff we're made of!!
Cash Only

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Jun 2, 2009
DOLLY wrote:
"even God is not recession proof."
What a horrible thing to say. God is the owner of all, sometimes we have to go through trials and tribulations as tests to see if we will still have faith in our Father and worship Him even in those times. God is everywhere and He listens and receives all prayers from everywhere, not just one bldg.
Is God that cheap he or she can't come up with some cash to save the church? Think about it and be free from the brainwashing.

Allah Ackbar
DOLLY

United States

#15 Jun 2, 2009
Cash Only wrote:
<quoted text>
Is God that cheap he or she can't come up with some cash to save the church? Think about it and be free from the brainwashing.
Allah Ackbar
No. Not at all. Think of God in Heaven, as our Father in Heaven. Just like we have our fathers on earth. Would you give and continue to give to a child who has misbehaved? If you take away from a child to show what the meaning of value is; is that considered being cheap? I can give my children many things, things that I never had growing up; however I give on my time and I can take away when I want. So does that make me cheap?
Its not about saving a "church". Its about saving lives. A building structure will not save lives.
Lizzy

Boca Raton, FL

#16 Jun 7, 2009
I'm a college student and I think it's sad that this church is closing, but a church isn't a building at all. It's the body of believers. I agree with Dolly. It's not about religion either, it's about a relationship. And God has His reasons for what He does. Who are we to question if He's supreme over all, whether you see it or not?
Oh, and Church by the Glades (Coral Spring, FL) is doing a series right now called "Recession-proof life" which is ALL about God being recession proof. You should check it out. God doesn't change just because our circumstances do. He knows what we're going through. And I don't believe the church is ignorant at all. If anything, it brings hope. And we all know how cruel this world is. I honestly, from the bottom of my heart, hope you all find God one day.
NoSacredCow

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Jun 8, 2009
I've got better things to do than go on a quest for an imaginary friend.
Gigi

Hollywood, FL

#18 Jun 9, 2009
In case you ever wonder what's the driving force for the religious leadership, watch what happens when the bottom line isn't looking good...

So what exactly is needed to run a church that's been around for decades? Want to know my answer??? It wasn't a church in the first place! It was a really good theater for worshiping in.

"No where in the Bible is a church referred to as a building. Nor is it ever referred to as a corporate entity. According to the Word of God, church means people... a gathering of those called( by God)" - Wayne Blank
http://www.keyway.ca/htm2005/20050220.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min OBAMA the GENIUS 1,509,291
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 1 hr LYING Bullshyters 8,069
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr John-K 313,666
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 63,567
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Sat doG mnaDed lyHo p... 71,273
Let's Change Plantation's Name! (Oct '13) Sat xxx 8
the outlaws motorcycle gang in south Florida is... (Feb '11) Fri jpk338 261

Dania Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dania Mortgages