Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
39,801 - 39,820 of 45,775 Comments Last updated 49 min ago

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious.... he doesn't make distinction made between decadal vs. century predictions, but you've found it!
Abstract:
Equilibrium climate sensitivity refers to the ultimate change in global mean temperature in response to a change in external forcing.
You might want to look up what those big words mean.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey look everybody! The zealot is answering the question with a question then lashes out with a whole lot of nonsense..
Gee... convincing isn't he?
A lot more convincing than you.

Have you found out what the building/wind generator ratio is yet?

I thought not.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

VeganTiger wrote:
<quoted text>
"Authorities"? I am giving you some statements here.

Headlines today:
*Global warming activists still stuck on inconvenient ice.
*Globull warming activists ship still stuck on heavy Antarctic ice.
*Global warming on ice
*Global warming activists require record amounts of fossil fuel to get out of waters where melted iceberg is blocking them.
*Global warming researcher gets stuck in ice.

Hahaheheheheheqhhihihih ihhohohohohohohohoh
LMAOROFL, this is too funny...
So, your statements don't have to be factual; you just make them up all by yourself.

Where did you get these headlines? Is there a prize for how many sources I can guess right?

No sources. No scientific sites. Just another idiot on the Internets.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot more convincing than you.
Zealots are always sure of themselves.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
No science is fact based, liberal science is conjecture on top of conjecture equivalent to double and triple hearsay.
I have never heard of "liberal science". LOL That must be a buzz phrase the cons use to support their anti-science agenda. How does that compare with "conservative science"? Perhaps Senator Inhofe can clear that up......
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never heard of "liberal science". LOL That must be a buzz phrase the cons use to support their anti-science agenda. How does that compare with "conservative science"? Perhaps Senator Inhofe can clear that up......
Just as valid a term as "anti-science".

Deal with it.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

LoL "Liberal science" vs "Conservative science" at the risk of being jumped on again making religious analogies. In this case it sounds like politics influences science outcomes not facts. These same deniers rant on about words like "could" & "maybe" also as reason to deny it exists at all. Then in the same breath rigorously defend a religious belief based on the "could" & "maybe"
I would love to know how the thought process differentiates between the two, as well as how did climate change become a liberal idea. Conservatism by nature is "boxed in" thinking. Everything they do is guided by rules even if those rules were wrong in the first place, it can still take decades to correct. Liberalism by nature can work inside the box or outside. If rules block a desired outcome then question the rules as to why. Conservatives leave that until the world collapses before deciding the rules need changing. That is the marked difference between the two types of minds. The same applies with the climate debate, when you have that type of thinking the planet would have to fry before they figured action was needed. Why because at one point some tea bagger somewhere labelled it a liberal idea so the automated rules kick in on conservative minds, it can't be good for us. So in the meantime facts keep piling up on facts only to be ignored.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

"The same applies with the climate debate, when you have that type of thinking the planet" would have to freeze (like Antarctica in the heat of the season with 85 team members stranded in ice yet STILL believing that their CO2 is 'cooking' the planet) before they stop ignoring the facts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

B as in B S as in S wrote:
"The same applies with the climate debate, when you have that type of thinking the planet" would have to freeze (like Antarctica in the heat of the season with 85 team members stranded in ice yet STILL believing that their CO2 is 'cooking' the planet) before they stop ignoring the facts.
Meanwhile in that same part of the world in the southern hemisphere, parts of Australia have started the new year in sweltering conditions, with temperatures near 50 degrees Celsius in regional South Australia and a heatwave predicted for Queensland. That's 122 deg F which would just be shy of the previous record in 1960. So much for the ice effect in Antarctica.

As I said previously, you deniers would watch Rome burn before deciding on whether to get a bail of water or not.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
As for the Arcic sea ice, isn't it a good thing to have recovered from such a low amount from last year by any amount?
Go back half a decade in this thread and you'll find deniers saying the same thing.

It wasn't a recovery then and it isn't now.
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's blindingly obvious! There is no global warming outside your door right now.
You can go back to sleep now.
Well I'm pretty sure global warming doesn't happen in sections or something! Global warming obviously isn't happening because if it was it would be happening everywhere!

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

B as in B S as in S wrote:
Well done koolaid: quite the stupidest poster on Topix as usual.

Antarctica in the heat of the season, starring Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger and Warren Oates...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

As each winter becomes more severe and each summer becomes hotter. You deniers will still be on here posting, "i can't get out of my driveway, I'm snowed in or flooded whatever happened to global warming"
That is the level of smarts in what threat climate change exists for them.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Meanwhile in that same part of the world in the southern hemisphere, parts of Australia have started the new year in sweltering conditions, with temperatures near 50 degrees Celsius in regional South Australia and a heatwave predicted for Queensland. That's 122 deg F which would just be shy of the previous record in 1960. So much for the ice effect in Antarctica.
As I said previously, you deniers would watch Rome burn before deciding on whether to get a bail of water or not.
...of course it is warm in Australia. It is supposed to be warm in Australia this time of year.

Is the point of comments about warm weather an effort to suggest that CAGW is the reason Australia is hot in December and January?
If so... May I suggest that the 25 degrees COLDER than average temperatures in North America (the Midwest) is due to CAGW.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
...of course it is warm in Australia. It is supposed to be warm in Australia this time of year.
Is the point of comments about warm weather an effort to suggest that CAGW is the reason Australia is hot in December and January?
If so... May I suggest that the 25 degrees COLDER than average temperatures in North America (the Midwest) is due to CAGW.
The point was like everything else on here, temps will keep increasing every year as per the predictions. Along with that will come huge snow dumps in northern hemisphere in winter or 10 ft of water but nothing that approaches normal or average. Each year weather records will be broken. However the average mean temps across the planet will keep increasing. Which surprise surprise will bring that extreme weather that you deniers refuse to accept is related.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious.... he doesn't make distinction made between decadal vs. century predictions, but you've found it!
Abstract:
Equilibrium climate sensitivity refers to the ultimate change in global mean temperature in response to a change in external forcing.
Equilibrium climate sensitivity is the temperature change after all feedbacks have run their course- a period of many centuries.

Deniers like you have tried to use the recent period of lower rate of warming in the surface temperatures to suggest that the long term rise (which is what we have to worry about) will be low.

This research says that interpretation is false. The difference between the models with a lower equilibrium sensitivity and those with a higher sensitivity is how the deal with (simply put) clouds, and the models with lower sensitivity don't model the physical processes correctly according to the observations.

Therefore, any apparent reduction in warming is likely just down to short term variation, caused by short term effects like ocean cycles, volcanic activity and the like.
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
So climate models that made less dire predictions are actually more inaccurate than the ones that make more extreme predictions even though none of them are actually right?
Yikes!
This is science?
Yes, it is.
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Before Man started keeping track of the weather not a single extreme weather event was recorded in North America. Today extreme weather is common in North America.

Since Man Made Global Warming started every year has been filled with record breaking weather.
Climate scientist

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
The point was like everything else on here, temps will keep increasing every year as per the predictions. Along with that will come huge snow dumps in northern hemisphere in winter or 10 ft of water but nothing that approaches normal or average. Each year weather records will be broken. However the average mean temps across the planet will keep increasing. Which surprise surprise will bring that extreme weather that you deniers refuse to accept is related.
None of that is true.

“Drink up! Summer's comin'”

Since: Jul 10

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's their SUMMER there! Duh.

“Drink up! Summer's comin'”

Since: Jul 10

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
As each winter becomes more severe and each summer becomes hotter. You deniers will still be on here posting, "i can't get out of my driveway, I'm snowed in or flooded whatever happened to global warming"
That is the level of smarts in what threat climate change exists for them.
Maybe the deniers ignore the man-made effects on the Sun's decline in solar flare activity"? Perhaps it is also the man-made activity that has caused all the volcanic activity as well?
If you say you believe science, then lookm at the REAL science. Man's activites with respect to the earth are akin to the affects of ants at a picnic.
The law of physics don't change based upon your fear mongering.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Dania Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dania People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••