Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 50,372
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
Patriot AKA Bozo

Wichita, KS

#30454 Jun 4, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
Ruh roh ... Another torpedo midships ...
"1930s photos show Greenland glaciers retreating faster than today"
"But nobody thought it was a big deal"
By Lewis Page
Posted in Science, 2nd June 2012 09:07 GMT
"Recently unearthed photographs taken by Danish explorers in the 1930s show glaciers in Greenland retreating faster than they are today, according to researchers."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/02/1930s...
Does that explain this?
http://chriscolose.files.wordpress.com/2010/0...
Patriot AKA Bozo

Wichita, KS

#30455 Jun 4, 2012
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
The really ironic part of all of this is that the the UN wants to save us from civilian-threatening catastrophe, loss of lives, and loss of trillions of dollars by creating civilian- threatening catastrophes by decreasing our economies, getting rid of dependable energy, and having us spend trillions of dollars doing it.
Conspiracies galore.....

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#30456 Jun 4, 2012
We can't wait to see your link that shows all scientists agree climate change is DEATH FOR ALL. Show us! Don't scientists have doomed children as well?
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right for once. The consensus is that we are cooking the climate, there is an urgent need to stop doing so, and if we don't stop there will be "serious" consequences.
http://www.nationalacademies.org/includes/G8+...
How serious? The oddsmakers are currently giving one in six that we're causing a civilization-threatening catastrophe. Those are Russian roulette odds, with many millions of lives and trillions of dollars at stake. The difference between this and Russian roulette is that in addition to one absolutely fatal round in the revolver, there are also two or three rounds that will merely wound society, killing only a few million and severely damaging but not destroying the global economy.
What could possibly be worth playing a game like that?

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

#30457 Jun 4, 2012
We have all seen strange election promises but an election promise of making the weather colder by taxing the air we breathe?
Condemning the voter's children to the greenhouse gas ovens like fear mongering neocons, will leave neocons in power forever.
The left has become the Gig Green Fear Machine.
Meanwhile, the entire world of SCIENCE, journalism and progressivism had allowed bank-funded and corporate-run “CARBON TRADING STOCK MARKETS” to trump 3rd world fresh water relief, starvation rescue and 3rd world education for just over 26 years of insane attempts at climate CONTROL.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

#30458 Jun 4, 2012
They all agree a changing climate is real and the effects are not agreed on however because every scientist has a different view of what the "effects" will be so how is that consensus of DEATH FOR ALL?
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#30459 Jun 4, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that explain this?
http://chriscolose.files.wordpress.com/2010/0...
The 'explanation' is simply the continental interior heating that resulted from devastation of the US plains soil base. i.e the 'dust bowl' which generated 'global warming' like temperatures locally in the US west.

These temperatures did affect climates north and west of the great plains such as Greenland. This 'red herring' is brought up every so often.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#30460 Jun 4, 2012
mememine69 wrote:
They all agree a changing climate is real and the effects are not agreed on however because every scientist has a different view of what the "effects" will be so how is that consensus of DEATH FOR ALL?
"red herring" much? Even the worst forecasts (for 4C warming) predict no more than 8/9th of the population will be killed. That still leave almost a billion starving wretches trying to scrape a living.
http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/conten...
Patriot AKA Bozo

Wichita, KS

#30461 Jun 4, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'explanation' is simply the continental interior heating that resulted from devastation of the US plains soil base. i.e the 'dust bowl' which generated 'global warming' like temperatures locally in the US west.
These temperatures did affect climates north and west of the great plains such as Greenland. This 'red herring' is brought up every so often.
So Greenland ice melting has nothing to do with global temperatures.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

#30462 Jun 4, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
"red herring" much? Even the worst forecasts (for 4C warming) predict no more than 8/9th of the population will be killed. That still leave almost a billion starving wretches trying to scrape a living.
http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/conten...
My point as exactly!
There are millions of different forecasts of CO2’s effects; from negligible to unstoppable warming all coming from hundreds of thousands of scientists. There isn't consensus of anything let alone climate change being a catastrophe.
Deny that!
Find me a link that says all scientists agree climate change is a deadly crisis.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#30463 Jun 4, 2012
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
When you decide the issue is important enough to raise a hullabaloo whenever each and every one of your warmists consumes fossil fuels, travels for a 'green' conference and doesn't himself live in a cave you just might have a credible argument.
Until then shut your sanctimonious pie-hole!
Some excuse. "I won't give up my F-350 and my air-conditioned McMansion in Bumfuck until Bill McKibben stops going to conferences".

Very responsible.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#30464 Jun 4, 2012
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
The really ironic part of all of this is that the the UN wants to save us from civilian-threatening catastrophe, loss of lives, and loss of trillions of dollars by creating civilian- threatening catastrophes by decreasing our economies, getting rid of dependable energy, and having us spend trillions of dollars doing it.
My link was to the joint statement by the leaders of all the major national scientific academies, saying the situation urgently requires action to cut carbon pollution.

However, I knew it wouldn't take long for some right-wing fanatic to randomly cite the UN and heap up false generalities about it. That's a pretty ragged straw man you have there.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#30465 Jun 4, 2012
Northie wrote:
My link was to......
a pretty ragged straw man........
Agreed.

#30466 Jun 4, 2012
Nauseous wrote:
I won't give up my F-350 and my air-conditioned McMansion in Bumfuck until Bill McKibben stops going to conferences.
That's odd, I thought you lived near to Seattle.
Teddy R

Oman

#30467 Jun 4, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
Some excuse. "I won't give up my F-350 and my air-conditioned McMansion in Bumfuck until Bill McKibben stops going to conferences".
Very responsible.
There are far, far more immediate and compelling reasons to give up the F-350 and the McMansion operating already, without and need to resort to making up skeery fairy tales to frighten Bubba.

As for moving out of Bumfuck, well - tell us what exactly it is you have against that fine up-standing town of patriotic Merkins!
kal

Kennewick, WA

#30468 Jun 4, 2012
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>
My point as exactly!
There are millions of different forecasts of CO2’s effects; from negligible to unstoppable warming all coming from hundreds of thousands of scientists. There isn't consensus of anything let alone climate change being a catastrophe.
Deny that!
Find me a link that says all scientists agree climate change is a deadly crisis.
oh 'meme', the science surrounding the made up theory and consensus of man made global warming is neatly summed up in this intresting article.

http://www.c3headlines.com/2012/06/connect-th...

#30469 Jun 4, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
There are far, far more immediate and compelling reasons to give up the F-350 and the McMansion operating already, without and need to resort to making up skeery fairy tales to frighten Bubba.
I think Nauseous should pick on Fat Al Gore, at least we all know he owns a few gas guzzlers.

#30470 Jun 4, 2012
kal wrote:
oh 'meme', the science surrounding the made up theory and consensus of man made global warming is neatly summed up in this intresting article.
It's time a few of our resident believers saw that their light is dimming and it could be time to reconsider their position.
Same story here:
McKibben connects the weather dots on sh** happens
Oh boy. The propaganda gets thicker. It’s a Forrest Gump moment.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/04/21/mckibbe...
freaking-crazy

Olive Branch, MS

#30471 Jun 4, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
My link was to the joint statement by the leaders of all the major national scientific academies, saying the situation urgently requires action to cut carbon pollution.
However, I knew it wouldn't take long for some right-wing fanatic to randomly cite the UN and heap up false generalities about it. That's a pretty ragged straw man you have there.
I knew a left-wing loon like your self would randomly scream the sky is falling. With your ragged straw man you have there..
Mothra

Prescott Valley, AZ

#30472 Jun 4, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
Very responsible.
OK, OK... I get it.

Hypocrites are OK with you.

Guess it's not really a crisis after all.
Patriot AKA Bozo

Wichita, KS

#30473 Jun 4, 2012
kal wrote:
<quoted text>oh 'meme', the science surrounding the made up theory and consensus of man made global warming is neatly summed up in this intresting article.
Gee, old Anthony will distort anything to deny. The paper says nothing about CO2 not being a primary GHG. It simply says that other pollutants are responsible for a little more warming than CO2 in the past few decades. By reducing these, the *rate* of global warming will slow. It does not say that global warming will cease. It simply says that CO2 will be the main driver in the future as these other GHG's are reduced. CO2 is a GHG and it is causing global warming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dania Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min abraham lincoln 1,173,055
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr Anne 96,837
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Brian_G 307,963
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 hr JOEL 71,541
Attn: Adoptees and Birth Parents and Grand Pare... (Feb '13) Tue joannyadoptees 12
Review: Jetset Charter Mon Bensoens 2
Review: Mount Hermon Baptist Church Mon Abraham Flynn 1
Dania Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dania Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:47 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:47PM