Homeowners gear up for Jefferson County commission megasite vote

Feb 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WATE-TV Knoxville

The Jefferson County Commission votes Monday whether or not to approve the first phase of funding for the megasite certification process.

Comments
1 - 20 of 48 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dale -Judy Lusk

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

We closed on our retirement dream home on December 28th, 2012 in Dandridge, Tn. Only to find out two weeks later when we were moving in our first items, that we had a registered letter to previous homeowners that this Megasite issue was happening. Needless to say, we were less than thrilled. What we had saved for, worked for, and dreamed of, could be a nightmare. We have no interest in selling our home, we waited years to get this and its fair to think that creed would prevail. How can this be justified when two weeks ago 400 workers were terminated at Koch Foods because they were illegal. If Jefferson and Hamblin counties are having to hire illegals, then why on earth would you think that others will want to work here. Obviously 400 americans did not, thats why they hired illegals.
hey u old coot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Mega mega stupid wrote:
<quoted text> It isn't called progress until we see progression. Just because planners are having pipe dreams and your having wet dreams, don't mean it's gonna happen the way you dream it. Damned sheitee to answer like that to somebody that might have to move out of their home.
Remember you live in Baneberry by the river you old coot they ain't gonna buy your 1/4 acre lot. LOL
InDknow

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Just heard several spineless commissioners are planning to skip the meeting. I will get there name and prepare a roasting.
Ole Colonel Angus

Thomasville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

InDknow wrote:
Just heard several spineless commissioners are planning to skip the meeting. I will get there name and prepare a roasting.
I know who it is already...at least one..TD
Really

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Ole Colonel Angus wrote:
<quoted text> I know who it is already...at least one..TD
Really?????
Been there done that

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

I could not believe what I saw (the signs)and heard (bad mouthing) at the meeting tonight and the final outcome everyone already knew. More time wasted as usual. The news folks were every where.
Perky blonde with sign

Thomasville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Been there done that wrote:
I could not believe what I saw (the signs)and heard (bad mouthing) at the meeting tonight and the final outcome everyone already knew. More time wasted as usual. The news folks were every where.
I had a sign that said " no bad mouthing", but unfortunately everyone was looking at me, not the sign.
right number

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Been there done that wrote:
What was the outcome?
Jusbcause

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

And we wonder why this county is going down hill. We have leaders (well so called leaders), mayor, sheriff, other staff in the mayors and finance office making 80k + and now we are gonna waste more tax payers money to survey and look at land. God help this county and fast!!!
Why Not

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Sure didn't bother anybody when the school spent 5-10 million on unused plans. Hell if you are going to edjikate them real special, might as well give them some where to work. Just think of it as tax generating extended education and it should be real easy to swallow. Nobody cares that my taxes have doubled and everybody's are fixing to go up because we let them piss away 60-90 million dollars for schools we couldn't afford and didn't need. Besides in the words of the SB and many commissioners, "we must have adequate schools for the managements kids to attend or they won't come. " Well they must be a coming, so lets throw the farmers off their property and get them managers a place to come to.
C'mon farmers, it's for the kids ! You should just donate the property, then you could qualify to live in the assisted / low income housing, right in close, with a gym and a pool. Hail, you don't even have to mow the yard ! Your own little eutopia !!! It don't get no better than that ! Hell, I think I will buy me a farm just to jump in on the ground floor of this great opportunity.
same thing agin

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Got people who own land in the area but live in another state and they are making a fuss of it all. If you don't live here you shouldn't be able to speak. How many jobs are these people providing in our county. How many of them are paying greenbelt taxes which is less than any home owner.

We need jobs, I need a job. There are no jobs here. Spend rather waste all the money on the bogus school plan while some of us are losing our homes because we don't have jobs. I've worked for over thirty years and now I'm out. The mayor, chamber, edoc all all designed and set up to attract jobs and industry so lets get some jobs in here.

There are plenty of people in the area who want to sell. Eminent Domain was addressed but the county attorney said it could be back on the table if commission votes to do so at any time.

Solomon abstained, that's real leadership and courage. Hottest subject in years and he abstains. What guts. What a joke.
Hooplehead thinking

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

So you and others don't have a job. Sorry. Now you hinge everything on these people that don't want to sell. All of a sudden, they're the ones that are supposed to lay everything down and walk away, so that others can be happy and have a job.You don't see something wrong with that or has your desperation and need taken over your rational thought process? That's what this country has become, people wanting others to give up their happiness for the benefit of the poor downtrodden.Instead of going to school and furthering ones knowledge and making ones self more desirable to employers, people would rather someone else make sacrifices for them. There wasn't any jobs promised here. People are getting their hopes up about a site that might be empty for years. No company has said they are coming here.It's a gambling with the taxpayer money. Again, sorry people don't have jobs but taking from others is wrong.
Frosty

Whittier, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

We need to get smaller companies in to fill the vacant buildings that companies have moved out of in the county. A meagsite is to much of a risk and gamble for tax payer money. Knowing that like everything else like the schools it always take more money than they so called planned.Like(Example-Well we didn't anticipate hitting that much rock in the development so we need more money.) A megasite would ruin this county being a company coming in or developed land sitting unused. Also these companies require certain standards before hiring like Mahle. A mach. operator has to have and be able to pass skill tests. Sorry but JMH Tennis, Golf, Swimming, etc. are NOT the skills. The JMH Voc. dept. consists of Agriculture,and Auto Mech. brake jobs. Politics cut out once State Model Training classes as Machine shop, Welding, Mech. Drawing, Drafting,Electronics, etc. That students could actually use to get these types of jobs.
SkankMagnet

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Mercedes Benz has committed to build a plant on the site. Must be certified. 5,500 jobs. Let's get this thing rolling.
Things have changed

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

It's a shame that those classes were cut out because those skills are highly sought after and pay pretty well. I took all those courses in High school.My friend and I got our certification too.It's a win-win to have more well rounded people, so they have a skill to fall back on, instead of being one dimensional.
same thing agin

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Jobs are needed and we can't continue to see us individual home owners continue to pay higher taxes with something happening.

Everyone says we aren't against this or that we're just not in favor of the location. How stupid. No matter where you go people will not want it.

We have only a very few, couple of full time farmers. The rest or weekend farmers and they are hollowing about farmland. Well how many of them have jobs for our residnets. How much are they paying. Are they selling their farm products to us residents at a good price. Give it a rest.

We can't make it in this county they way we did years ago.
Moven on up

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Jobs, jobs, jobs, Ya know maybe you should move to where the jobs are. I hear there are plenty out west with the oil boom.
Time to decide

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

There is an auto maker looking for a site, will it be here or somewhere else?
right number

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

same thing agin wrote:
Jobs are needed and we can't continue to see us individual home owners continue to pay higher taxes with something happening.
Everyone says we aren't against this or that we're just not in favor of the location. How stupid. No matter where you go people will not want it.
We have only a very few, couple of full time farmers. The rest or weekend farmers and they are hollowing about farmland. Well how many of them have jobs for our residnets. How much are they paying. Are they selling their farm products to us residents at a good price. Give it a rest.
We can't make it in this county they way we did years ago.
Sliders is the only full time farmer that have put people from this area jobs.
Really

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Time to decide wrote:
There is an auto maker looking for a site, will it be here or somewhere else?
Really???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dandridge Discussions

Search the Dandridge Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 13 min EMFCguru 1,645
Change Jefferson County's Sunday Alcohol Sales ... (Jan '14) 1 hr DirtyFrank 11
Watch out for The Mutterspaugh's 4 hr hmmm 3
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 4 hr TheRealZeke 9,245
Dandridge Main Street Bistro> OUR MENU (Nov '13) 6 hr Yum 8
Farmer's Tan (Apr '11) 6 hr Bill 11
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 16 hr doe resident 8,608
•••
•••
•••
Dandridge Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Dandridge Jobs

•••