Maury Middle Schools No Tolerance Bul...

Maury Middle Schools No Tolerance Bullying Policy is crap

Posted in the Dandridge Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 11

United States

#1 Oct 3, 2011
Go to the Maury Middle School website and click on the POP link, then print the page out, it says blahblahblahblahblah, so apparently what I've been going through today with Mr. Day is exactly how they feel about this policy. There is apparently a gang at Maury Middle School, called the 8ball gang. And Mr. Day doesn't give a crap about doing anything about it. They made threats today saying they were going to stab my son, and beat him up when they see him away from his dad, and if the real 8ball gang came they would put a gun in his mouth. Well if Mr. Day doesn't want to handle this, my husband and I will. Yeah if you say this too, Mr. Day will bann you from the school. He needs to follow his zero tolerance policy and do his job!!!!
Anonymous

United States

#2 Oct 3, 2011
I would have liked to see a gang at Maury when I went to school there.They'd got their a_s kicked.(The eight ballers would have been reduced to the Chuckwagon gang. I'm sorry your child is getting bullied.Now here comes my usual unsolicited opinion; Bullying is a side effect of the school systems Zero tolerance against fighting.Remember,back when you and I were going to school,if we had a problem with a bully we could at least threaten them with a good beat down.And if that didn't work,we actually went to war,right? Fast forward to now,A bully knows a child is scared that he\she may get suspended from school if they even fight back against a bully.I'm not saying that every problem should be handled with fists,but just the possibility of it usually deters bullying.So without fear of anything but a vague anti-bullying rule,they pick on kids more now than ever before.I'm not saying to fight...Its just my opinion on what is the difference between then and now.

Since: Sep 11

United States

#3 Oct 4, 2011
Your right, when we were in school, it was also a one on one fight, we didn't need guns or knives to prove a point. And we definitely didn't need our friends to help us in a fight. And whats funny is the kid that we were in a fight with we almost always turned out to be good friends with in the end. They really need to find that line between now and then and remember how it used to be when they were in school. And remember we had paddling in school, and if we did something wrong at school our parents busted our butts. And now the kids want to yell child abuse, maybe if they got a good whipping they wouldn't act the way they do, and there is a difference in child abuse and a good old fashioned a_s whoopin. My kids still get that good old fashioned a whoopin, it didn't hurt me, and it ain't gonna hurt them. And a lot of the problems with some of these kids, like one of them is from a broken home, dads a drunk, and mom doesn't care. You can learn a lot about someone just from their facebook page. Anyway we talked to a commissioner last night, so hoping we have some kind of resolution today.
hmmmmmm

Nashville, TN

#4 Oct 6, 2011
It is unfortunate that your child is having difficulty at school. I hope that you can resolve this issue soon. I wanted to say that I have worked with Mr. Day personally and I know that he is a very hard working, caring person. I also know that he spends many hours at the school, I have seen him there before 7 am daily and there many evenings until after 6. He truly has the student body's best interest at heart. I feel that your assessment of him is unfair. I know that you feel this way because of your child. However, Mr.Day unlike others in the past, does care and is concerned. It would be better for all involved if you found a way to work with him, the school's SRO, and your son. Maury has had some bad press in the past from the community and I know for certain the Mr. Day, Mrs. Rogers and their teaching team are turning things around. You also must remember how the government has tied the hands of the school system and how they can't punish children anymore. These days discipline is out, because it violates a child's right or they might be embarressed. When you start taking God and discipline out of the schools, unnecessary behavior begins to develop. So the schools depend on the parent to discipline at home.
Please take you time and evaluate your feelings, it will lead to a better outcome. Good luck.
Ben

Morristown, TN

#5 Nov 5, 2011
I know for a fact Mr. Bettis did not put up with Bullying during his long tenure there as principal. Although, not long after he died, one of the teachers, who made one of the students mad, was the target of said student's plan for a shooting, which was foiled because of her absence that day.
Go Hornets

Morristown, TN

#6 Nov 5, 2011
If the boys in that supposed gang are on the football team they will NOT get in trouble. Period. I've seen it with my own two eyes over and over again. It is outrageous.
what i hear

United States

#7 Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, your right, Bettis didn't allow the students to be bullied, just the teachers.
Ben wrote:
I know for a fact Mr. Bettis did not put up with Bullying during his long tenure there as principal. Although, not long after he died, one of the teachers, who made one of the students mad, was the target of said student's plan for a shooting, which was foiled because of her absence that day.
While Were At It

Knoxville, TN

#8 Nov 5, 2011
Why are they not using a traffic control officer at Maury on the nights they have activities ?
The last two fridays there has been a cluster after dark of cars, trying to turn into and then get out of the entrance, and I'm over it. Somebody's going to have a bad wreck and they need a cop out there, especially now that the time has changed.
richard andrew

Jonesborough, TN

#9 Dec 13, 2011
What do you expect kids these days when all their parents are pill heads? Hello wake up! All thats around here is trailer trash meth head hicks. DUH there children are gonna act retarded like that
ThomasA

Sterrett, AL

#10 Dec 14, 2011
When my son was in elementary school,the principal had two methods of dealing with bullies. When there was a problem witnessed by a teacher,the bully was sent to the office and the parent was called at home or work to pick the child up for a one day suspension. If it continued, a parent was required to come to class and sit with the child all day ,lunch,breaks,and any activities for a whole week. It really pissed off parents to have to take vacation time but it was either that or expulsion and the kids usually straightened up after the week of bonding.
Anonymous

United States

#11 Dec 14, 2011
ThomasA wrote:
When my son was in elementary school,the principal had two methods of dealing with bullies. When there was a problem witnessed by a teacher,the bully was sent to the office and the parent was called at home or work to pick the child up for a one day suspension. If it continued, a parent was required to come to class and sit with the child all day ,lunch,breaks,and any activities for a whole week. It really pissed off parents to have to take vacation time but it was either that or expulsion and the kids usually straightened up after the week of bonding.
ThomasA,You get an A for a great post! Bring that back..a little embarrassment goes a long way,right? I have a daughter and a son in school and I tell ya,there is just about too many rules that are senseless.
Wrong

Knoxville, TN

#12 Feb 7, 2012
You need to teach your kids to fight. It's classic, stand up to a bully and they will stop. If they dont... continue with reinforcements.
jeff city

Gaithersburg, MD

#13 Feb 7, 2012
Maury is crap not just the policy the coaches over there act like kids boys basketball that is
Worried Parent

Rockford, TN

#14 Jul 3, 2013
I just finished watching a movie about a girl being bullied to death. She commited suicide because in her young mind she just had no other way to stop the pain. Sadly, I watched my own child bullied so badly at Maury. The staff, and leaders of the school had more than enough evidence to discipline the other kids responsible but they just kept letting it go. Passing the buck.I wanted to have a group meeting with the other parents so I was told" oh no, you don't know these parents". So because the leaders feared the parents, they left my daughter on her own to deal with mean, spoiled children. This went on for at least half the school year. My daughter suffered physically and emotionally. She is still dealing with it. I eventually spoke myself with several of the parents. One parent was great and handled the problem. That child completely stopped and is actually nice now. The others had the not my kid attitude, even in the face of undeniable evidence. In the end they will regret this because the girls are on twitter, facebook, and instagram ppsting things that are, well I will just say they are not well behaved young ladies. Anyway, the bulling policy is in place but is not enforced. It is a shame good kids suffer needlessly. I believe bullies should lose out on playing sports,dance or cheerleading, clubs, even the ability to attend the school if they can not control themselves. Even though I was at the school at least several times a week, and tried everything I could do, it was not enough without the schools support. Bottom line the kids learned they were getting away with it! They had no fear of punishment. I wish I had taken legal action against the bullies. I hope if any of the staff or leaders at Maury read this, they will try and muster up the strength to stand up for the victims. Not trying to be so nice and politically correct. Do not tolerate the bulling. Be aggressive. Otherwise you are just another part to the problem. Our students learn they can not trust their peirs, or the adults in charge. It causes pain that lasts a long, long time.
Worried Parent

Rockford, TN

#15 Jul 3, 2013
Wrong wrote:
You need to teach your kids to fight. It's classic, stand up to a bully and they will stop. If they dont... continue with reinforcements.
I wish that would be all their is to it. Unfortuanately if my child stands up and fights the bully, then they will lose out on all the hard work they have put into the extra ciricular activities and her 4.0 GPA. The school will nt defend her, and she is not allowed to defend herself.Not very fair, is it?
Take no bull from no one

United States

#16 Jul 4, 2013
Give them the attention they want, get the national news media involved. The school system may take noticed then.
M Dale

Talbott, TN

#17 Jul 4, 2013
richard andrew wrote:
What do you expect kids these days when all their parents are pill heads? Hello wake up! All thats around here is trailer trash meth head hicks. DUH there children are gonna act retarded like that
I agree to a certain extent. Not all parents are pill heads these days but too many of them are. Drugs of all kinds are a problem in kids' lives. As a substitute I have helped with bus duty a couple of times at Dandridge Elem, and I can remember one parent dropping her daughter off one morning and the smell of marijuana flooding out of her car. I understand that pot may not be considered a dangerous drug by some people but I can't understand any parent doing something that could cause them to lose their kids if they were to get caught. Too many parents find excuses to stay high and end up letting other people do the most important parts of raising their kids. It's no wonder so many kids have become bullies when they don't get the attention they need at home. But the school system should never tolerate it.
Ego slacker

Matthews, NC

#18 Jul 4, 2013
Anti bullying only works in the physical sense to a certain extent. Sure, the children know that if they lay a hand on each other, they could be suspended from school. Even trying to defend themselves, which is stupid. This takes away the threat of an asswhoopin, so the bully just keeps naggin, pestering, taking little shots when nobody is watching and the whole thing keeps building and building into something that there is no resolve to. Besides, we know as adults, the school system and mommy won't be around when little Jimmy gets out into the real world. I know a child that got suspended from school for fighting. He got hit 6 times before he finally knocked the other boys lights out. He got suspended from school for defending himself. The threat of a good ass whoopin stops more bullying than the policies do.
Anonymous

Newport, TN

#19 Aug 5, 2013
richard andrew wrote:
What do you expect kids these days when all their parents are pill heads? Hello wake up! All thats around here is trailer trash meth head hicks. DUH there children are gonna act retarded like that
Not all of their parents are pill heads. They're all just spoiled rotten to their core. They don't giveaway crap about what anybody says. They just do what they think is right (most ao what they do isn't ). Just because we're a small eastern Tennessee city doesn't mean we live in a deadbeat town with a bunch of deadbeat people
Yes It Does

Dandridge, TN

#20 Aug 5, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all of their parents are pill heads. They're all just spoiled rotten to their core. They don't giveaway crap about what anybody says. They just do what they think is right (most ao what they do isn't ). Just because we're a small eastern Tennessee city doesn't mean we live in a deadbeat town with a bunch of deadbeat people
Yes it does, just look at our local government. They do what they want and to hell with anyone that gets in the way. And as adults, especially here on topix, we do the same thing. We are rednecks raising rednecks. And common sense doesn't go very far around here. Thick skin is a pre-requisite for growing up round here. And yes, bullies need to be identified, which should be easy if complaints are filed. Violence begets violence, even if you have to get your buddy to help you out. Kids should be taught not to post stupid shit about themselves as should parents. People are so stupid, young and old. I was bullied in school and lived to post on here about it. I still hate that bastard today some 30 years later. Course he has been in jail most of those thirty years, so I reckon everybody gets theirs sooner or later. If you can't fight, learn to duck and run, and make friends with the big kids, course that must suck for fat kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dandridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Booker in.Newport 1 hr Hump Hammer 14
Palmieri is all talk, NO leadership. 1 hr Lister 43
No rights for taken the rebel flag away.. 4 hr kktwo 105
Anthony Terry (Jun '10) 6 hr Just curious 40
News Employee hurt in zipline accident (Apr '10) 7 hr Wowthathurts 15
Need some construction work done Sun needtoknow 1
Dandridge Forum (Oct '10) Sun needtoknow 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dandridge Mortgages