Poll: Obama has wide lead over McCain in Conn.

Full story: NewsTimes.com

Democrat Barack Obama would defeat Republican John McCain by a wide margin in Connecticut in a hypothetical general election matchup, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday.
Comments
341 - 360 of 364 Comments Last updated Apr 12, 2008

“America's Lie Detector”

Since: Jan 08

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

judgejay wrote:
<quoted text>There are many problems in this country and greed is one of them but not just in the context that you are speaking of. There are also alot of people who feel the country owns them something or that they are entitled to whatever they want. Once you give someone something for free without them having to earn it or save for it they become dependent on being give it free. People need to be independent and responsible for there actions. No one makes you to buy a home you can't afford or sign a morgage contract that is interest only for 5 years. Isn't this a form of greed on the part of the buyer and not just the lender?
You and I will never agree on what the government should or shouldn't pay for. I just want as little government as possible and to pay the lowest taxes as possible. I shouldn't have to pay for the mistakes of others or for things they should be doing for themselves
When a business is forced to pay a higher tax who do you think really pays that tax? It is passed directly to the consumer, add a 10 gas tax to a gallon the price will rise 10 cents.
Higher taxes just slow the economy and cause companies to move or cut jobs and or benefits.
again, Jay, look at what you just said. If we tax the gas companies, they will just pass the cost down to us. BUT WHY? Because they need to improve their bottom line, and that is ALL they care about. We just disagree on whether that is the right thing to do or not.

Also, did Nike lower their prices after shipping out the manufacturing jobs to Chinese kids? No. So stop apologizing for them- they will not help you out, lower prices, or be human beings with a conscience NO MATTER WHAT THEY PAY IN TAXES! My point is that we'd be better off if we didn't have sociopaths running things.

As for you, what do we do with those who simply can't work- mentally challenged, physically challenged etc...?

PS- when you talk about the mortgage crisis, ask yourself what it is about our dumba$$ society that says it's ok to buy something you don't have the money for. You think maybe they learned THAT from our government?:) There is a serious disconnect between the consumer and their money- almost like the money is just 'there'. They kind of forget that they have to earn it. Could that be because people spend a TON on credit cards? If it weren't for the credit card industry, no one would have had 'money' to go Christmas shopping last year! This is a ridiculous situation, at least we can agree on that!
judgejay

New Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

censorfree wrote:
<quoted text>
again, Jay, look at what you just said. If we tax the gas companies, they will just pass the cost down to us. BUT WHY? Because they need to improve their bottom line, and that is ALL they care about. We just disagree on whether that is the right thing to do or not.
Also, did Nike lower their prices after shipping out the manufacturing jobs to Chinese kids? No. So stop apologizing for them- they will not help you out, lower prices, or be human beings with a conscience NO MATTER WHAT THEY PAY IN TAXES! My point is that we'd be better off if we didn't have sociopaths running things.
As for you, what do we do with those who simply can't work- mentally challenged, physically challenged etc...?
PS- when you talk about the mortgage crisis, ask yourself what it is about our dumba$$ society that says it's ok to buy something you don't have the money for. You think maybe they learned THAT from our government?:) There is a serious disconnect between the consumer and their money- almost like the money is just 'there'. They kind of forget that they have to earn it. Could that be because people spend a TON on credit cards? If it weren't for the credit card industry, no one would have had 'money' to go Christmas shopping last year! This is a ridiculous situation, at least we can agree on that!
sorry but the credit and morgage issues still boil down to personal responiblity. just because someone offers you credit doesn't mean you have to use it. The problem is NO ONE WANTS TO WAIT OR SAVE FOR ANYTHING THEY HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW! Once they realize they can't pay for what they've got, they want everyone to feel sorry for them and give them a special deal.
As for your question about the disabled the first people to step up should be FAMILY not the government. The government can help but it should not carry the entire load.

“Reduce immigration levels”

Since: Dec 06

Kings Mountain, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Off topic but vitally IMPORTANT! We are losing our country. Take action!!!

The Homeland Security Department is waiving more than two dozen environmental and other laws to speed up fence construction on the southern border. Now 14 members of the current democratic majority, including Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, are joining environmental groups and asking the Supreme Court to force homeland security to obey the laws.
• Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS)
• Energy & Commerce Committee Chairman John Dingell (D-MI)
• Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-MI)
• Transportation & Infrastructure Committee Chairman James Oberstar (D-MN)
• Education and Labor Committee Chairman George Miller (D-CA)
• Rules Committee Chairwoman Louise Slaughter (D-NY)
• Veterans Affairs Chairman Bob Filner (D-CA)
• Intelligence Committee Chairman Silvestre Reyes (D-TX)
• Congressman Solomon Ortiz (D-TX)
• Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren (D-CA)
• Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX)
• Congresswoman Susan Davis (D-CA)
• Congressman Raul M. Grijalva (D-AZ)
• Congresswoman Yvette D. Clarke (D-NY).

If any of these are your Congressman send them emails to “knock it off!” We MUST get the border secured!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348209,00...
http://www.kcbs.com/pages/759727.php...
http://www.rightwingnews.com/mt331/2008/04/wh...
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/07/eve...

ProEnglish to sue Tucson school over Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish
ARLINGTON, Va.—“Requiring second grade students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish every day without their parents’ knowledge or consent is outrageous and violates Article 28 of Arizona’s Constitution which makes English the official language of the state,” says K.C. McAlpin, executive director of ProEnglish, a group that advocates for official English.
In a 2006 statewide referendum Arizona voters voted overwhelmingly to make English the state’s official language.“ProEnglish wants to right this wrong. Parents can file a lawsuit to stop this unconstitutional opening of the school day,” McAlpin said.
The controversy began when Tucson resident Lance Altherr overheard his eight-year old son reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. Altherr, who speaks Spanish, learned that his son’s second grade teacher was requiring her class to recite the Pledge in that language – yet neither the state nor the Tucson Unified School District requires the Pledge to be in Spanish.

“America's Lie Detector”

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

judgejay wrote:
<quoted text> sorry but the credit and morgage issues still boil down to personal responiblity. just because someone offers you credit doesn't mean you have to use it. The problem is NO ONE WANTS TO WAIT OR SAVE FOR ANYTHING THEY HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW! Once they realize they can't pay for what they've got, they want everyone to feel sorry for them and give them a special deal.
As for your question about the disabled the first people to step up should be FAMILY not the government. The government can help but it should not carry the entire load.
two final thoughts, one- people are kind of stupid about money. I agree that it has to do with personal responibility, but again, what is it about our society that makes people think it's ok to do what we are doing?
and two- not everyone has a big, great, caring family. What a rosy world you live in. Sorry, kid with cerebral palsy. Can't help ya out. Your mommy and daddy should just deal. What? Your mommy and daddy left you? Awww shucks. Tough luck kid!

two of my nieces are severely disabled- aka, they will never be 'productive' citizens in your eyes. Fortunately, we can help out, but what about the kids that grow up in poverty or abusive homes? Sorry, you can't just dump them on the streets.

Why do you seem to have such a 'me-first' attitude? What is it about having a responsibility to MORE than just yourself that scares you?
StopHatinOthers

Beacon Falls, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Just another home owner wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't want an AARP member huh. I'd like to remind you that Ronald Reagan was 74 when he ran the first time.
And look where that got us.

“America's Lie Detector”

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Judged:

Fed Up wrote:
Off topic but vitally IMPORTANT! We are losing our country. Take action!!!
The Homeland Security Department is waiving more than two dozen environmental and other laws to speed up fence construction on the southern border. Now 14 members of the current democratic majority, including Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, are joining environmental groups and asking the Supreme Court to force homeland security to obey the laws.
• Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS)
• Energy & Commerce Committee Chairman John Dingell (D-MI)
• Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-MI)
• Transportation & Infrastructure Committee Chairman James Oberstar (D-MN)
• Education and Labor Committee Chairman George Miller (D-CA)
• Rules Committee Chairwoman Louise Slaughter (D-NY)
• Veterans Affairs Chairman Bob Filner (D-CA)
• Intelligence Committee Chairman Silvestre Reyes (D-TX)
• Congressman Solomon Ortiz (D-TX)
• Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren (D-CA)
• Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX)
• Congresswoman Susan Davis (D-CA)
• Congressman Raul M. Grijalva (D-AZ)
• Congresswoman Yvette D. Clarke (D-NY).
If any of these are your Congressman send them emails to “knock it off!” We MUST get the border secured!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348209,00...
http://www.kcbs.com/pages/759727.php...
http://www.rightwingnews.com/mt331/2008/04/wh...
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/07/eve...
ProEnglish to sue Tucson school over Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish
ARLINGTON, Va.—“Requiring second grade students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish every day without their parents’ knowledge or consent is outrageous and violates Article 28 of Arizona’s Constitution which makes English the official language of the state,” says K.C. McAlpin, executive director of ProEnglish, a group that advocates for official English.
In a 2006 statewide referendum Arizona voters voted overwhelmingly to make English the state’s official language.“ProEnglish wants to right this wrong. Parents can file a lawsuit to stop this unconstitutional opening of the school day,” McAlpin said.
The controversy began when Tucson resident Lance Altherr overheard his eight-year old son reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. Altherr, who speaks Spanish, learned that his son’s second grade teacher was requiring her class to recite the Pledge in that language – yet neither the state nor the Tucson Unified School District requires the Pledge to be in Spanish.
yep, border security would be the ideal way to go. But is it really feasible?
judgejay

New Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

censorfree wrote:
<quoted text>
two final thoughts, one- people are kind of stupid about money. I agree that it has to do with personal responibility, but again, what is it about our society that makes people think it's ok to do what we are doing?
and two- not everyone has a big, great, caring family. What a rosy world you live in. Sorry, kid with cerebral palsy. Can't help ya out. Your mommy and daddy should just deal. What? Your mommy and daddy left you? Awww shucks. Tough luck kid!
two of my nieces are severely disabled- aka, they will never be 'productive' citizens in your eyes. Fortunately, we can help out, but what about the kids that grow up in poverty or abusive homes? Sorry, you can't just dump them on the streets.
Why do you seem to have such a 'me-first' attitude? What is it about having a responsibility to MORE than just yourself that scares you?
Where in here did I say that your "disabled kids" would not be helped? Family should help first. Obviously if there is no family to help, there are non profit charities and then the government to help. As for as your handycapped nieces being productive citizens again you make assumptions. Where did I ever say that handycapped individuals are not to be helped ? As a matter of fact I believe they are more deserving than most.
zombie reagan

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

prometheuspan wrote:
Zombies. They live amongst us....
and copy and paste amongst us too, apparently.

besides, everybody knows all you need to make a zombie is the poison of a puffer fish. DUH!
StopHatinOthers

Beacon Falls, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

judgejay wrote:
<quoted text> Where in here did I say that your "disabled kids" would not be helped? Family should help first. Obviously if there is no family to help, there are non profit charities and then the government to help. As for as your handycapped nieces being productive citizens again you make assumptions. Where did I ever say that handycapped individuals are not to be helped ? As a matter of fact I believe they are more deserving than most.
Family help first is a nice sentiment but it doesn't exactly meet the criteria for public policy, does it? So in your family help first scenario an entire family could be undermined by some unexpected healthcare crisis.

Kings Mountain, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

censorfree wrote:
<quoted text>
yep, border security would be the ideal way to go. But is it really feasible?
Is being over run with drug lords and human smugglers feasible?
Get Informed

Morgan City, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Enjoy Poverty. We don't want you vote. You actually have to do some research to actually vote for a candidate that benefits your family. By the way, I don't vote for parties and look a specific candidates and any one who thinks they need more tax dollars in Washington to waste does not get my vote. You clearly just vote for a party becuase you make a very ignorant comment when you state you'd give up every cent you would make. By the way, GWB isn't running again. I guess someone needs to tell you that since you still voting against him. You should change you forum name to "Clueless".
censorfree wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I'll vote for a republican in my lifetime because they scare me. At this point, I'd give up every cent I make if we never have a GWB again.
StopHatinOthers

Beacon Falls, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Get Informed wrote:
Enjoy Poverty. We don't want you vote. You actually have to do some research to actually vote for a candidate that benefits your family. By the way, I don't vote for parties and look a specific candidates and any one who thinks they need more tax dollars in Washington to waste does not get my vote. You clearly just vote for a party becuase you make a very ignorant comment when you state you'd give up every cent you would make. By the way, GWB isn't running again. I guess someone needs to tell you that since you still voting against him. You should change you forum name to "Clueless".
<quoted text>
Attack of the dopey literal-ists.

“America's Lie Detector”

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Is being over run with drug lords and human smugglers feasible?
you make it sound like this is a new problem.

“America's Lie Detector”

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Get Informed wrote:
<quoted text>
keep ASSuming, tough guy. You are too dense in the head to understand exaggeration, but whatever. Not my problem. You live in Texas. I don't.
Get Informed

Morgan City, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

You live in Conn. and thank GOD I don't. Enjoy your taxation! Liberals never understand why it's OK to be successful and why individuals should only give money to the government when they can WISELY spend it. Oh sorry, wisdom is not part of the Democratic platform. But Waste is!
censorfree wrote:
<quoted text>
keep ASSuming, tough guy. You are too dense in the head to understand exaggeration, but whatever. Not my problem. You live in Texas. I don't.

“God Bless America”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

Mrs Obama serves as roaming ambassador for African-American audiences.

Michelle Obama, said "Black America will wake up and get it" in an interview running on MSNBC. Michelle Obama ] She said: "The legacy of slavery and racism is that a large number of African-Americans do not believe that they are able to succeed in the world. Not that they lack the capacity to succeed, but they simply do not believe that it will be possible because they still believe they will not be given the opportunity". Many will point out that all candidates have their spouses out on the campaign trail drumming up votes for their spouse. This is true, but none other than Michelle Obama is playing the race card!

Mr Obama's refusal to wear one of Mr Bush's omnipresent American flag pin, which the senator called a substitute for real patriotism has attracted some voters, but makes me wonder if he were elected would he have more respect for Our flag ? Obama voted No for English as our country‘s language.

The 2 yr junior senator from Illinois has no achievements at all in foreign relations, very little accomplishments in national politics, and no significant achievements while in Illinois politics. He hasn't done anything, so they have to come up with nonsensical, or Racial reasons to vote for him. Where are his plans for dealing with illegal aliens, radical Muslims, Irans nuclear threat, Russia's saber rattling, fixing our weak dollar? He says nothing concrete. Just elect me for a new begining, and just what will that be?

In addition to the many reasons listed above, not to vote for Obama, there is his alleged ties to Tony Rezko, his membership in a church many consider racist, his acceptance of genocide as a possible cost of a too early withdrawal from Iraq. Rezko contract deal in Iraq .Obama was the attorney for the Joint Venture non profit client with Rezmar... Obama bonehead mistakes , excuses and crooked deals in Chicago.. His circular of Questionable Influencial Friends- Wright, Ayeres, Rezko , Auchi, Farrakhan, Odinga, Khalidi, Daniel Ortega…

No to Obama...

Kings Mountain, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2008

URGENT!! SOCIAL SECURITY IS BANKRUPT AND LOOK WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO DO.
READ http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userl...

RESPOND HERE
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/al...

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. STEP UP TO THE PLATE.

Kings Mountain, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2008

censorfree wrote:
<quoted text>
you make it sound like this is a new problem.
PLEASE! Are you saying "we should do nothing" because it is not a NEW PROBLEM? IF WE DON'T ACT things will never change. Blogging here is basically ineffective and energy poorly spent. I divide my time between here and congress.org .
lestinobambino

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2008

SoSad wrote:
They are all bums, but McCain will win. A black or a woman will not win. Our country is not open minded enough yet. I would vote for a purple and green striped transvestite if he/she would make a good president.
I'm sure your transvestite would lead America and protect and defend our interests better than a black muslim.
Get out

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2008

SoSad wrote:
They are all bums, but McCain will win. A black or a woman will not win. Our country is not open minded enough yet. I would vote for a purple and green striped transvestite if he/she would make a good president.
Perhaps if the black and the woman were worthy of being president they might have a chance, but a proven liar and a closet racist have no shot. Thank God.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Danbury News Video

•••
•••

Danbury Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Danbury People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE