First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Guess

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Sep 30, 2012
Really I mean really
The pep rally bonfire tonight for HHS homecoming week was nothing more than a f?&king Baptist church meeting. I mean wtf WTF WTF WTF
that mossholder teacher up there singing Gospel songs and Matlock up there Preaching at a school sponsored event. Well it's got no place in school period and it was supposed to be a pep rally.
Phony Drama Mama

Chilhowie, VA

#2 Sep 30, 2012
i agree i thought i was there for the homecoming pep rally. glad the turnout was pretty good for the kids and on a sunday night and cold night tho. what was even worse about tonight was overhearing that damn drama mama telling any and everyone that would listen to her about how hard her life is right now and for everyone to please pray for her and her family. bitch just had police at her house cause she had a meth shake and bake setup in her house. now she wants everyones pity and prayers bitch please! she was in the hospitial cauz she od'd on nerv pills a few days after the police came. sorry i forgot she is completely innocent and she is the victim cough cough so everyone please feel sorry for her becuase she didnt do anything to bring this on herself and doesnt know why this is happening to her
Ginger

Jonesborough, TN

#3 Sep 30, 2012
Omg I heard that woman saying she just wanted prayers she was telling that to the lady beside mh mom
I can't believe Miss Mossholder actually got up there and sung gospel music like who wants to hear that stuff. She made herself look stoooopid. It wax supposed to be a PEP RALLY
Not CHURCH. I think my dad is really tick off over them preacher Mstlock yelling at all the kids like a stoooopid Baptist preacher. We are episcopal and go not like the Baptist yelling.
Did Mossholder think she was going to idol. It goes down in the worst pep rally hall of fame.
Phony Drama Mama

Chilhowie, VA

#4 Sep 30, 2012
the only good thing about it was the parade earlier. i think all the kids had a really good time or at least looked like they were having a good time from my seat. but to use the kids as a means to trick people to come to church under the false pretense of a homecoming pep rally is a new low.
Grandmama

Jonesborough, TN

#5 Oct 1, 2012
I agree. I had no idea it was bible beating babtist bullshit.
David mattock needs to find a church in so he can preach to people who enters and wants it. I was pissed about the whole thing as many people were.
It not be long before someone files charges on the political vs church scene at school functions
That teacher from the middle school thinks she is something else. Where did she get the right to stand up there and sing gospel and the little cheerleaders ip there swaying back and forth like Christians and one of them was piled up with my grandson the night before and they were doing sex my daughter inlaw fount the used condem Sunday morn
It is shameful at the fake pep rally church service
Mayor

Jonesborough, TN

#6 Oct 1, 2012
I think you all are full of it. That's what's wrong on the world today. Theirs not enough God in school. They need to be more prayers in school ever day. Ever kid needs to bow they head and pray. More Bible and the world would get better
KarmaKing

United States

#7 Oct 1, 2012
100% agree with you, Mayor.
Noway

Jonesborough, TN

#8 Oct 1, 2012
You don't be arrogant sobs and push religion down people's throats like they did last night. Mattock and Mosslander need to stick to doing there thing in church where it is expected. Not at school function.
Amazing

United States

#9 Oct 1, 2012
All I can say if you don't want to hear the word of God metioned then get up and leave, just remember when you're heading the other way one day (Hell) you don't have that choice.... by the way all over town lots of people were making nice comments regarding the bonfire....not all people are non-religious fans as yourself, so please just leave, you won't be hurtin anyone's feelings...Its a free world and personally I'm sick and tired of being a Christian and having to tone it down for the likes of people as yourself. God Bless........
Cav

Johnson City, TN

#10 Oct 1, 2012
Next time I might get up and sing songs about Thor.
Amazing

Jonesborough, TN

#11 Oct 2, 2012
Don't care how sick and tired you are
Hypocrites go to hell
Govt took church out of school a long time ago get it got it ?
Angie

Wytheville, VA

#12 Oct 2, 2012
Well, as long as the students enjoyed the parade and bonfire, then it was a success. I agree after a couple of songs from Mrs. Mossholder there could have been more upbeat music. As for David Matlock, I don't think he was yelling at anyone. He is a motivated public speaker, there is a difference.
Everyone there had a choice.....If you did not like the music, you had the choice to leave, if you did not like the speaker..leave. if you did not want to hear someones drama...leave..
Instead of making your own choice to leave,you get on here and use terrible language about a school event??How is that any better???
come on people.....
Let's stop focusing on our personal opinions and focus on our Holston Cavaliers, Let the students enjoy homecoming!!!!!GO CAVS
Amazing

Jonesborough, TN

#13 Oct 2, 2012
What about the kids who are not Christian?
gentry

Johnson City, TN

#14 Oct 2, 2012
Amazing wrote:
If there were kids present that did not want to hear what was going on, you can bet they would just get up & go !!!
Personally, I believe you are a minority in this matter, but you do have a right to express your opinion.......the same as the folks at the Bonfire did !
Angie

Wytheville, VA

#15 Oct 2, 2012
Amazing wrote:
Whether the kids are a Christian or not, if they liked the music,speaking or atmosphere of the night, then what was the damage?
Kids are better than any adult turning an ear to what they do or do not want to hear. If the kids heard something they liked, that is great, if they did not like what they heard, all thy had to do was tell the adult in charge of them and they could leave..
I personally pray for children to accept Christ. If they do, it is between them and Christ not me or anyone else.
Amazing

Jonesborough, TN

#16 Oct 2, 2012
You miss the point people
Minority you say?
My kids whether a minority or not are just as effing important as yours
Attendee

Bristol, VA

#17 Oct 2, 2012
I am a Christian and go to a church every week - not the Baptist church though. I was present. I thought that it was a little over the top for a homecoming pep rally. I believe in all that David Matlock said. I believe that it should be said. I just don't know that this was the right place or time. Again, I thought that it was a little over the top for what was planned and intended when the athletic boosters set this up. But I wouldn't have actually complained.

On the other hand, I can categorically say that it violated the Constitution of the United States. Even though I think it shouldn't have, the Supreme Court clearly says otherwise. This was at least a quasi-school sponsored event. Prayer? Fine. Blessing? Fine. Gospel Music - well, probably okay. Sermon? Not fine under the Constitution.

I suspect that most of you who complained were just there to get free hotdogs and for no other reason. I'm sure that you didn't want to go to church, or you'd have been there. Therefore, I do not expect for the Athletic Boosters to face civil liability.
Observer

Bristol, VA

#18 Oct 2, 2012
All you folks who say "just leave" miss the point. This was at least a semi-school sponsored event. And a public school. That puts this into a much different situation than if it were totally private school or totally private event. Kids that go to that school should be able to support their school and attend, without having been delivered a biblical sermon. That's just the law.
Angie

Wytheville, VA

#19 Oct 2, 2012
Observer wrote:
All you folks who say "just leave" miss the point. This was at least a semi-school sponsored event. And a public school. That puts this into a much different situation than if it were totally private school or totally private event. Kids that go to that school should be able to support their school and attend, without having been delivered a biblical sermon. That's just the law.
If anyone is not comfortable where they are, they have the right to leave. That is not missing any point. Regardless where you are or who it is sponsored by. This was not an event that required attendance.There were many students in attendance at the pep-rally on Sunday. I still see the event as a success. Several hundred attended and only a handful on topix were not happy with it.
Come on now, let's move forward and support our Team Friday.
Observer

Bristol, VA

#20 Oct 2, 2012
What you don't understand is that the law says that the kids or anyone else ALSO have the right to support their public school - just as you suggest - and stay just where they were - and NOT be subjected to a Baptist Sermon. You totally and completely miss the point. The event was a huge success by and large, I agree. I'm not saying the law is right. I'm just saying what it is and taking up for those who may not agree with you and I.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Damascus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hottest woman in glade? (Aug '14) 1 hr tommy boy 21
Gary sweat 9 hr Thetruth 3
Chilhowie Pizza Breakfast (Jun '14) 11 hr Just me 7
Kayla fleenor 11 hr Just wondering 12
who is heather hurley? 22 hr CJB 23
black n white relationships (Sep '13) 22 hr Out 49
police on dry fork (Oct '13) Tue dry fork blevins 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Damascus Mortgages