Old Fort, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

I heard the town is gonna get sued for the police department harassing drivers and residents. I could see how this would happen, when the police break the law to inforce it. Illeagle searches, pulling over people for mo.reason and then making one up and using convicted felons as informents. Seems like the police run the people in that town! Does a town that small need police officers armed with assult rifes as a routine part of their gear? Some people complain of ptsd from encounters with the police there. Do the perform a public service or are they an armed militia?
concerned

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Why would it bother u if u where pulled over unless unrnguilty of something...I for one think they r doing a great job u have Toynbee aggressive on the war of method.. so what's if its a little convient I feel safer myself..
I agree

Abingdon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

concerned wrote:
Why would it bother u if u where pulled over unless unrnguilty of something...I for one think they r doing a great job u have Toynbee aggressive on the war of method.. so what's if its a little convient I feel safer myself..
I think they are doing a fine job. Would you rather have the old crew back?-- I just bet you would.
I agree

Abingdon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

I agree wrote:
<quoted text>I think they are doing a fine job. Would you rather have the old crew back?-- I just bet you would.
This was a reply to "nunya" not a reply to "concerned".
townie

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

nunya wrote:
I heard the town is gonna get sued for the police department harassing drivers and residents. I could see how this would happen, when the police break the law to inforce it. Illeagle searches, pulling over people for mo.reason and then making one up and using convicted felons as informents. Seems like the police run the people in that town! Does a town that small need police officers armed with assult rifes as a routine part of their gear? Some people complain of ptsd from encounters with the police there. Do the perform a public service or are they an armed militia?
What is the difference between citizens and drivers? Where do you think informants come from if not the criminal elements? I think their gear should include shoulder fired missiles and rocket launchers.
Justnuthergeezer

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Actually, this is an interesting topic. I think I should be stopped if I violate a law or have defective equipment on my vehicle, but really do not feel I should ever be stopped at any "checkpoint." It smacks of a police state. HOWEVER, the rationale for doing so is that driving is a privilege, not a right. That is probably correct via court decisions. So basically they can stop you and then look for any violations.
I just happen to think we have a right to privacy if we are not violating any laws. I have no problem with the Damascus police. I believe they do a good job....not selling dope anymore at least. But...if you think they stop you for a "license check" do not for one minute believe that they are not scrutinizing whatever they can. Is that right? According to the law, yes.
By the same token, I do not feel that I should have to stop on a public road to be solicited by football teams, civic groups, fire departments, little leagues or anyone else looking for "donations." I hope they all do well, but I do not see why I need to dodge them in the road to get home. I always fork over a buck or two, but I always wonder what would happen if someone was run over.
If I am driving on the road as a "privilege" and therefore subject to being stopped by police, then I also think that "privelege" should also extend to NOT BEING STOPPED by special interests soliciting funds for projects, causes or institutions that I may not care to be solicited by.
Curmudgeoningly yours, Geezer.
Hometowner

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Agree 100% geezer. Very well said.
concerned

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Hopefully auto correct will not mess up what I want to say..I for one don't care if I get pulled I'm not afraid but the ones that are is what causes All to suffer. Good job Damascus if other towns would do this maybe the doper's will go elsewhere
Really

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

I understand their zealousness at "hindering crime" but when you are pulled over on foot 6 times in 5 months, each time your identification ran and each time you've done nothing wrong, have no warrants and 3 of the times on your way to work...well, it's time they start looking somewhere else, maybe for the real criminals.
AMAZING

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

I am in that town so much due to my parents living there, going to church, visiting friends and have yet to be "pulled over"as you describe. I have never encountered anything but professionalism from this police dept. and their officers. I believe the town is very forunate to have a good police dept. that seems to have cleaned up quite a bit of drug issues and been assistance to several residence. I know first hand from asking for info not long ago to attending a town meeting regarding an issue that concerned my parents home,that everyone involved was very informative and professional. Most complaints come from law breakers and ones driving either without insurance or proper equipment (not saying you do) but most guilty people are complaniers with any subject..
canaanite

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

I doubt, Geezer, you have ever donated a dime to any sports team, fire dept., cheer leaders, or any other worthy cause. I know you are in a hurry to get home on a Saturday morning so you dont have to stop at the person with the donation jar unless the car in front of you stops and gives. I wouldnt worry about any one getting run over either. Hell, I dont like to stop at red lights or traffic jams but that is part of the " privilege."
Justnuthergeezer

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

canaanite wrote:
I doubt, Geezer, you have ever donated a dime to any sports team, fire dept., cheer leaders, or any other worthy cause. I know you are in a hurry to get home on a Saturday morning so you dont have to stop at the person with the donation jar unless the car in front of you stops and gives. I wouldnt worry about any one getting run over either. Hell, I dont like to stop at red lights or traffic jams but that is part of the " privilege."
You do realize you have no idea what you are talking about...don't you? I give often and in many venues. I just don't think people, especially teens and preteens should be standing in the road. Try to read posts more carefully before revealing your ignorance.
rethink

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

AMAZING wrote:
I am in that town so much due to my parents living there, going to church, visiting friends and have yet to be "pulled over"as you describe. I have never encountered anything but professionalism from this police dept. and their officers. I believe the town is very forunate to have a good police dept. that seems to have cleaned up quite a bit of drug issues and been assistance to several residence. I know first hand from asking for info not long ago to attending a town meeting regarding an issue that concerned my parents home,that everyone involved was very informative and professional. Most complaints come from law breakers and ones driving either without insurance or proper equipment (not saying you do) but most guilty people are complaniers with any subject..
Agree.... and im not saying im for or against the fund drives in the road but if I had to guess , i would say the Police don't have much say in who gets to do that and where... the town usually approves events such as that... as they do parades, etc
canaanite

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

I do realize what I am talking about, Geezer, I'm not ignorant at all and I read your letter carefully, and I still doubt you have ever gave a dime to any cause. So, you think the police are doing a good job, at least not selling dope, your slick sarcasm can be appreciated by some, I guess.
LezzyJane

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Kermit think he hot stuff, and he is so ugly. Leave us alone you don't have anything we want.

You know who
Justnuthergeezer

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

canaanite wrote:
I do realize what I am talking about, Geezer, I'm not ignorant at all and I read your letter carefully, and I still doubt you have ever gave a dime to any cause. So, you think the police are doing a good job, at least not selling dope, your slick sarcasm can be appreciated by some, I guess.
Your self pride still doesn't mean you understand my posts. I think that if the police can stop me on a public road...legally.....and check my "papers"....and use the rationale of "public safety' as a reason for it..then why do they allow children to stand in the same road within 2 or 3 feet of moving traffic? Do you not still NOT understand the point, oh mental midget??
You still know nothing about me qnd I probably have given as much in time and money to charity than you make in a year. That's my final say on that so stop your childish baiting.
You are correct that I was being needlessly sarcastic in the "not selling dope" remark. That was old news and I should have let it be. also, the previous poster made a good point that I did not think of..and should have. The police get their marching orders from above as far as parades and fundraisers. So maybe it is city hall that needs to rethink that.
canaanite

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

I am glad to hear you are well off, Mr Geezer, I am sorry that I dont understand what the police stopping you and checking your papers, and the fund raising activities of the community have anything to do with each other, except stopping your miserly arse on your way home. I wonder if there has ever been a serious accident in all of the years of this type of fund raising, Wuss?
Justnuthergeezer

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Curious....the little tick that sucks on my posts calls me a wuss. Do you ever get bloated enough to fall off?
canaanite

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Dont you think its a little wussy to take your concerns about the community's fundraising to city hall, Mr Geezer? If you dont want to talk with me thats okay but I'm not a mental idiot nor your post sucking tick.
Justnuthergeezer

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Again you misunderstand me. I do not intend to take anything to city hall. And the police stops are legal. I was never doing anything other than saying I don't like it. I also should not have gotten personal. My apologies for the insults.
It's a small town with not all that many issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Damascus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who would you vote for for mayor in galde Spring 13 min What the 7
Nelson, joe 1 hr curious 4
Would you like to see the KKK Rally in Abingdon... (Feb '11) 1 hr Czech 300
"Liquidated like a piece of equipment" 1 hr Jan 95
dave miller 2 hr Rain 6
Snyder 4 hr Donald Snyder 8
Debate: Ferguson - Damascus, VA Tue Johnson 1

Search the Damascus Forum:
•••
•••