Six arrested in chicken fighting raid

Six arrested in chicken fighting raid

There are 81 comments on the Dalton Daily Citizen story from Feb 2, 2009, titled Six arrested in chicken fighting raid. In it, Dalton Daily Citizen reports that:

From Staff Reports Six people were arrested and charged with gambling and cruelty to animals on Saturday after Whitfield County deputies discovered a chicken fighting ring in southern Whitfield County, said ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dalton Daily Citizen.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
whatever

Adel, GA

#1 Feb 4, 2009
If 'chicken fighting', is against the law, then why do they have all those places around here where they raise them for fighting? And they are not hiding the fact that that's what they are doing!
GENEVA COHEN

United States

#2 Feb 4, 2009
whatever wrote:
If 'chicken fighting', is against the law, then why do they have all those places around here where they raise them for fighting? And they are not hiding the fact that that's what they are doing!
I was not aware of this. How can you tell if this is the reason the Chickens are being raised? If it is obvious, Animal Control should be called to investigate the situation.
whatever

Warner Robins, GA

#3 Feb 5, 2009
Good question! I don't know how to tell, but they are raised in cages by themselves away from the others so they will be aggressive. Someone else might be willing to add more accurate information than I can.
Thing is, we're talking about cruelty toward chickens! Who's going after Goldkist? Frankly, I myself like chicken.
GENEVA COHEN

United States

#4 Feb 5, 2009
whatever wrote:
Good question! I don't know how to tell, but they are raised in cages by themselves away from the others so they will be aggressive. Someone else might be willing to add more accurate information than I can.
Thing is, we're talking about cruelty toward chickens! Who's going after Goldkist? Frankly, I myself like chicken.
yES, This is cruelty to Chickens!I have pet chickens and guinea fowl. The chicken's are for fresh eggs and the guinea fowl for bug control. They also make excellent "guard" animals. My Chickens and guinea's are my pets. They are intellegent and well trained. They are so much fun to watch in the yard. They have feelings and suffer from pain, just like we do. I pray cruelty to all animals is done away with, and guilty party punished to the fullest extent of the law.
HELLO

Warner Robins, GA

#5 Feb 6, 2009
GENEVA COHEN wrote:
<quoted text> yES, This is cruelty to Chickens!I have pet chickens and guinea fowl. The chicken's are for fresh eggs and the guinea fowl for bug control. They also make excellent "guard" animals. My Chickens and guinea's are my pets. They are intellegent and well trained. They are so much fun to watch in the yard. They have feelings and suffer from pain, just like we do. I pray cruelty to all animals is done away with, and guilty party punished to the fullest extent of the law.
Than what you are saying is,... you don't eat chicken? Are you a vegetarian? If you're a vegetarian, than I can understand your reasoning! Chickens haven't been known to be too intelligent!
GENEVA COHEN

United States

#6 Feb 6, 2009
HELLO wrote:
<quoted text>
Than what you are saying is,... you don't eat chicken? Are you a vegetarian? If you're a vegetarian, than I can understand your reasoning! Chickens haven't been known to be too intelligent!
Correct..I do not eat chicken, and yes I am a vegetarian. I was always told that cickens were not too intellegent. However, I have found this not to be true. This is my first time raising them as chicks from a Hatchery. The Chickens follow me around and know exactly what my "routine" is. They also know exactly when snack time is when they see their special bowl. They stay close to "home" and do not wander away. My White Brock will sit on my lap and le me pet them! They especially know when to return to their coop at night. At the present time, I can not say the same regarding my Guinea Fowl. LOL They are two months older and do not even go back in their coop at night in 10 degree weather. They wander off and do not find their way back home. I have to track them down or receive a call from a concerned neighbor. I have to work harder to train them!
john

Memphis, TN

#7 Feb 10, 2009
Roosters will fight if you have them on a yard together unless one runs. Game roosters won't run from each other they will fight no matter if man puts them together or not thats the reason for them in cages. I have a game rooster and a game hen. I don't fight them but I raise them. The roosters have to be seperated because of their nature. A regular laying hen and rooster is bred for laying eggs so there not as aggressive. The sad thing about cock fighting being outlawed and people that don't know what there talking about is that some of the prettiest birds will not be here for our kids and grandkids to see because people will stop raising them. I once had a teacher that told me its best to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. so from now on do some research.
Little Jerry Seinfeld

Redmond, WA

#8 Feb 15, 2009
GENEVA COHEN wrote:
<quoted text> yES, This is cruelty to Chickens!I have pet chickens and guinea fowl. The chicken's are for fresh eggs and the guinea fowl for bug control. They also make excellent "guard" animals. My Chickens and guinea's are my pets. They are intellegent and well trained. They are so much fun to watch in the yard. They have feelings and suffer from pain, just like we do. I pray cruelty to all animals is done away with, and guilty party punished to the fullest extent of the law.
I just can't stand to see a grown chicken cry.
ola

United States

#9 Feb 27, 2009
Okay. this is to "Little Jerry Seinfeld" and "Geneva Cohen". Game roosters fight because of their nature. I have some, i don't fight them to the death. i keep them because of how they look and stand with pride. but you need to understand this is not cruelty. it is in their blood, like humans to go striving forward. that's their chicken species, they love to fight. and they will be miserable if they don't. i fight them with "boxing gloves" NOT knifes. so they don't hurt themselves. and they need their exerscise. For me Cruelty is Dog fighting, and hunting for deer and wild turkey now thats cruelty because they die with fear. and gameroosters don't die with fear.
GENEVA COHEN

United States

#10 Feb 27, 2009
john wrote:
Roosters will fight if you have them on a yard together unless one runs. Game roosters won't run from each other they will fight no matter if man puts them together or not thats the reason for them in cages. I have a game rooster and a game hen. I don't fight them but I raise them. The roosters have to be seperated because of their nature. A regular laying hen and rooster is bred for laying eggs so there not as aggressive. The sad thing about cock fighting being outlawed and people that don't know what there talking about is that some of the prettiest birds will not be here for our kids and grandkids to see because people will stop raising them. I once had a teacher that told me its best to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. so from now on do some research.
Who are you referring to? What research are you referring to? Yes they are pretty birds. I have friends who have them. Only one with hens. No problems, no fighting and very self-sufficient. I am not worrying about my Children or Grandchilren not seeing them. The Game Roosters will continue to be raised by honest, caring people to sell to those wanting them as pets not FIGHTERS. I pray dog fighting can be stopped. I will not have to worry about not seeing beautiful dogs. You should have listened to what your teacher said!
GENEVA COHEN

United States

#11 Feb 27, 2009
ola wrote:
Okay. this is to "Little Jerry Seinfeld" and "Geneva Cohen". Game roosters fight because of their nature. I have some, i don't fight them to the death. i keep them because of how they look and stand with pride. but you need to understand this is not cruelty. it is in their blood, like humans to go striving forward. that's their chicken species, they love to fight. and they will be miserable if they don't. i fight them with "boxing gloves" NOT knifes. so they don't hurt themselves. and they need their exerscise. For me Cruelty is Dog fighting, and hunting for deer and wild turkey now thats cruelty because they die with fear. and gameroosters don't die with fear.
Sorry to disappoint you but I have friends who have Game Roosters as well as hens. There Roosters live wonderful lives free roaming. They are very self-sufficient. They get alot of exercise roaming free over many acres. I agree with you regarding dog fighting and hunting. I believe Rooster Fighting is cruel. How do you know they do not die in fear!? They are living creatures with a heart. They feel pain the same as you and I. Enjoy your Roosters, instead of Boxing with them.
KRAMER

Redmond, WA

#12 Mar 1, 2009
I find the nuggets to be quite tasty.
DILBERT

Redmond, WA

#13 Mar 1, 2009
I'm a leg man myself.
ola

United States

#14 Mar 2, 2009
This is to GENEVA COHEN.
I said that boxing is one of the things i enjoy about them ,not the only one.
I also admire their posture and look, and attitude, especially there look, what beautiful birds. But also it is in there nature that they fight. and you can't take that away from them!! Believe it or not , to show YOU that is in there blood. i raised game birds in an incuvator and believe it or not the baby little chick's started fight to the death only 2 DAYS OLD!!!!!!!!!! we had to seperate them because they were killing themselves! and also to your regarding question about their heart and feelings, have you ever got into a fight??? if so if you read carefully in the anatomy books,ANDRENALINE rush fills your body in a non painful feel stature. same with them but in a more powerful way plus there aggresive nature. SO their you have it. to tell you the truth i do not support knife fighting with those game birds.
ruth

Dalton, GA

#15 Mar 3, 2009
GENEVA COHEN wrote:
<quoted text> Correct..I do not eat chicken, and yes I am a vegetarian. I was always told that cickens were not too intellegent. However, I have found this not to be true. This is my first time raising them as chicks from a Hatchery. The Chickens follow me around and know exactly what my "routine" is. They also know exactly when snack time is when they see their special bowl. They stay close to "home" and do not wander away. My White Brock will sit on my lap and le me pet them! They especially know when to return to their coop at night. At the present time, I can not say the same regarding my Guinea Fowl. LOL They are two months older and do not even go back in their coop at night in 10 degree weather. They wander off and do not find their way back home. I have to track them down or receive a call from a concerned neighbor. I have to work harder to train them!
cickens where did you go to school dog patch. You're noisy why is it that everytime you pull up something to read your name is listed.:)D
tony

Dalton, GA

#16 Mar 3, 2009
GENEVA COHEN wrote:
<quoted text> Correct..I do not eat chicken, and yes I am a vegetarian. I was always told that cickens were not too intellegent. However, I have found this not to be true. This is my first time raising them as chicks from a Hatchery. The Chickens follow me around and know exactly what my "routine" is. They also know exactly when snack time is when they see their special bowl. They stay close to "home" and do not wander away. My White Brock will sit on my lap and le me pet them! They especially know when to return to their coop at night. At the present time, I can not say the same regarding my Guinea Fowl. LOL They are two months older and do not even go back in their coop at night in 10 degree weather. They wander off and do not find their way back home. I have to track them down or receive a call from a concerned neighbor. I have to work harder to train them!
cickens what is this haha
haha

Dalton, GA

#17 Mar 3, 2009
GENEVA COHEN wrote:
<quoted text> I was not aware of this. How can you tell if this is the reason the Chickens are being raised? If it is obvious, Animal Control should be called to investigate the situation.
nosey-- mind your own business busy body
susie

Dalton, GA

#18 Mar 3, 2009
GENEVA COHEN wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry to disappoint you but I have friends who have Game Roosters as well as hens. There Roosters live wonderful lives free roaming. They are very self-sufficient. They get alot of exercise roaming free over many acres. I agree with you regarding dog fighting and hunting. I believe Rooster Fighting is cruel. How do you know they do not die in fear!? They are living creatures with a heart. They feel pain the same as you and I. Enjoy your Roosters, instead of Boxing with them.
I hate chickens. Everytime I see one I either shoot at them or ring their necks, it pisses me off esp. when they get into my flower gardens.
Radar

Redmond, WA

#19 Mar 4, 2009
Do chickens have lips?
Marvelous Myrtle

Eatonton, GA

#20 Mar 5, 2009
A chicken is intelligent because it "knows it's snack time when they see their special bowl"?!!Wow,that puts them way up there with carp.If we're out of cats I like to throw chickens in the pit when we are fighting dogs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dalton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Murray County Bullies 11 hr thetimestheyareac... 3
wayne fricks (Feb '09) Tue Shemad 26
Whitfield Swingers Mon Charlie 14
Outlaws MC clubhouse?? (Nov '14) Mar 18 Heartbroken Mom 18
snitches (Aug '15) Mar 17 Justagirl 15
Murray County deleted Mar 10 thetimestheyareac... 1
Colin Shropshire Mar 9 Saddy Q 2

Dalton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dalton Mortgages