Residents share their memories of cig...

Residents share their memories of cigar factories

There are 14 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Apr 17, 2009, titled Residents share their memories of cigar factories. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Married at 16, Betty Fife was a teenage mother struggling to find work in the depths of the Great Depression.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Living in Margaritaville

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Apr 19, 2009
Cigar factories went out the way of the horse and buggy......... but now that "B" boy has opened the way of the Cuban pipeline those damn cigars should be in all the stores near you sometime soon.
Vickie

Dover, PA

#2 Apr 19, 2009
My 1st job out of highschool was at The House of Windsor in Yoe.My grandmother and grandfather my dad and then myself and my husband to be all worked there.My grandfather was part owner of The Yellow Cab in East Prospect and also worked at OB Bairs in Craley.I also remember my greatgrandparents had made cigars in there shop behind there house on Bull Run Rd in Wrightsville.My grandmother worked at The House of Windsor till in her 80's.So I guess I was in the cigar industry.
hummmmm

Cranford, NJ

#3 Apr 19, 2009
The House of windsor just shut down last fall. The building is now being foreclosed on. The owner was a real jerk.
Reality Check

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Apr 19, 2009
For quite some time, Red Lion, PA was the cigar producing capital of the entire world! Amazing how times have changed.
a friend

Eatontown, NJ

#5 Apr 20, 2009
Vickie wrote:
My 1st job out of highschool was at The House of Windsor in Yoe.My grandmother and grandfather my dad and then myself and my husband to be all worked there.My grandfather was part owner of The Yellow Cab in East Prospect and also worked at OB Bairs in Craley.I also remember my greatgrandparents had made cigars "in there shop behind there house" on Bull Run Rd in Wrightsville.My grandmother worked at The House of Windsor till in her 80's.So I guess I was in the cigar industry.
"in there shop behind there house"

should read..."in THEIR shop behind THEIR house"........
stephen

AOL

#6 Apr 20, 2009
Living in Margaritaville wrote:
Cigar factories went out the way of the horse and buggy......... but now that "B" boy has opened the way of the Cuban pipeline those damn cigars should be in all the stores near you sometime soon.
I for one would welcome Cuban cigars! I had a Cuban cigar in France a few years back and boy are those things potent. By the way, you can get actual Cuban cigars in this country but they have to have been made with pre-embargo tobacco (they're a little expensive, though).
firedude34

Toms River, NJ

#7 May 5, 2009
Margaritaville if u dont like history an have nothing better 2 do then go drown urself in a body of water closest 2 u. im 22 an it is neat 2 learn about what was.

“A Fine Time To Ask Me Now?”

Since: Feb 09

York, Pa.

#8 May 5, 2009
Just Google your education boy, nothing matters past that.................

“A Fine Time To Ask Me Now?”

Since: Feb 09

York, Pa.

#9 May 5, 2009
Before you google anything though, you better learn to spell and write a real sentence.......... back to the drawing board for you!!!!
Andrew Blackburn

United States

#10 Jul 9, 2010
Hello I was wondering if anybody knew any history about York Tobacco Co. that was on 215 N. George st in York. Please email at redtail_hawk@embarqmail.com Thanks Andrew
Bob Daniels 82 Fountain

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Mar 19, 2011
During the 30's we lived a short distance from the town dump off Richland Ave in York. We kids would regulary go to the dump in search of "treasures". My good friend discovered a load of discarded cigars at the dump and brought them home. He laid them in the sun to dry and then proceeded to smoke them. I lost rack of Scott, but I hope he is still doing Great.
Coach Beaver

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Mar 20, 2011
Bob Daniels 82 Fountain wrote:
During the 30's we lived a short distance from the town dump off Richland Ave in York. We kids would regulary go to the dump in search of "treasures". My good friend discovered a load of discarded cigars at the dump and brought them home. He laid them in the sun to dry and then proceeded to smoke them. I lost rack of Scott, but I hope he is still doing Great.
You had Scott on a rack? He prob is still there
Coach Bendadick

York, PA

#13 Mar 20, 2011
Coach Beaver wrote:
<quoted text>
You had Scott on a rack? He prob is still there
Forgive Bobby and THE Coach; they have been in a coma since this article was first published in "2009". Coach has been doing better though, since having his lower posterior brain injected with steady infusions from "Semen Corpsman" Clifford, French Royal Navy.
ED HOUSEAL

Marlton, NJ

#14 Nov 6, 2011
Vickie wrote:
My 1st job out of highschool was at The House of Windsor in Yoe.My grandmother and grandfather my dad and then myself and my husband to be all worked there.My grandfather was part owner of The Yellow Cab in East Prospect and also worked at OB Bairs in Craley.I also remember my greatgrandparents had made cigars in there shop behind there house on Bull Run Rd in Wrightsville.My grandmother worked at The House of Windsor till in her 80's.So I guess I was in the cigar industry.
My gg grandfather John Houseal lived on bull run rd. He had a farm there till 1898.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallastown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Incumbent district judge has two challengers fo... Jun 10 DWI 1
S&S fraud chasers Jun '15 Concerned 1
News Former cashier charged with assault says racial... (Feb '11) May '15 BillyBobb 150
News Dallastown grad Lindsay Erin tours York County ... Mar '15 Hailey 1
Review: Lost N Found Thrift Store (Nov '14) Nov '14 dave 1
News Trick-or-treat nights set for York County areas (Oct '08) Nov '14 Batman 54
Write-in votes for Ron Miller or Mike Waugh ins... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Thrasher82 1
More from around the web

Dallastown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Dallastown Mortgages