Four new faces selected for Dallastow...

Four new faces selected for Dallastown board spots

There are 50 comments on the The York Daily Record story from May 17, 2011, titled Four new faces selected for Dallastown board spots. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Of the five names that will appear on the ballot for Dallastown Area School Board in November, four will be new.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Unbelievable

United States

#41 May 21, 2011
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Wondering about Phillips-Hill? Seems smart, but wondering if she's a Weinberg puppet in waiting.
I have no idea about her. I know this though, the teachers contract is the biggest issue on this boards agenda. Its two years away, but negotiations will start in a year. The teachers have a rude awakening coming fast. Weinberg puppet or not, a majority on that board will be looking for serious concessions in the next contract. I also believe they will start the search for a replacement for Weinberg next year as well. Critical times in this district!
He Says

New Freedom, PA

#42 May 21, 2011
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Wondering about Phillips-Hill? Seems smart, but wondering if she's a Weinberg puppet in waiting.
According to Weinberg, he has her in his pocket. According to her, she says not. I'll believe her when I see it.
Taxpayer

York, PA

#43 May 21, 2011
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Wondering about Phillips-Hill? Seems smart, but wondering if she's a Weinberg puppet in waiting.
Count on it....
LOL

York, PA

#44 May 21, 2011
Unbelievable wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea about her. I know this though, the teachers contract is the biggest issue on this boards agenda. Its two years away, but negotiations will start in a year. The teachers have a rude awakening coming fast. Weinberg puppet or not, a majority on that board will be looking for serious concessions in the next contract. I also believe they will start the search for a replacement for Weinberg next year as well. Critical times in this district!
Yes, the evil teacher empire will have a rude awakening. Every poster will celebrate in the streets when those awful teachers crumble.
Fresh Cope

York, PA

#45 May 21, 2011
I'm just wondering...if they don't take a huge hit in their next contract, is it going to be solely their fault? Or will some of you finally be ready to blame the boss?
He Says

New Freedom, PA

#46 May 22, 2011
Fresh Cope wrote:
I'm just wondering...if they don't take a huge hit in their next contract, is it going to be solely their fault? Or will some of you finally be ready to blame the boss?
The hit the taxpayers have taken has always been the sole responsibility of the Board. They are the ones who have repeatedly approved the contracts that have skyrocketed Dallastown's contract above everyone else's contract in the region. Of course, their approval of exorbitant spending goes beyond the contract and deep into building projects and programs that only served to float one man's ego.

Everyone sees Weinberg for the destructive force that he has been and will continue to be in the District but the truth of the matter is that he does not "write those checks." The Board does that. They have been lazy in educating themselves about expensive programs they have instituted, arrogant in their spending, and short-sighted in analyzing the future of District funding. They are "the bosses" who deserve the blame.
Ronaldus Magnus

United States

#47 May 24, 2011
calwan wrote:
I still want to see evidence of this crazy tax hike everyone is talking about. This year, 0.0% And the crazy rich teachers got what a 3% raise? Holy crap, that doesn't even cover the cost of gas or groceries or the health care?!
You people complain to complain. GIVE ME FACTS!!!!
I'm sick of the taxes are too high, government is too bug, people from MD are a drain on our court system, tax and spend. These are all just made up tea party BS. GIVE ME FACTS. Get educated about the ideas you here on FOXnews and look at reality!
The facts are that the current millage rate in Dallastown school district is 22.26 mills. 22.26 mills equals 2.226%.

I think 2.226% of the assessed value of your house is a pretty high tax. On a $200,000 house that's $4452 in school taxes. Of course that assessment is from 2006, so the house is probably not worth $200,000.

So taxes did not go up this year. Big deal. They just took the additional money they needed for the budget out of the rainy day fund that has piled up. Taxes have doubled since 1999. How much have property values gone up?
Titus Canby

Annapolis, MD

#48 May 24, 2011
Ronaldus Magnus wrote:
<quoted text>
The facts are that the current millage rate in Dallastown school district is 22.26 mills. 22.26 mills equals 2.226%.

Taxes have doubled since 1999. How much have property values gone up?
At 22.26 mills I'd like my property value to come DOWN.

The "value" does me little good because I don't use my home equity like an ATM machine.
Taxpayer

York, PA

#49 May 27, 2011
Titus Canby wrote:
<quoted text>
At 22.26 mills I'd like my property value to come DOWN.
The "value" does me little good because I don't use my home equity like an ATM machine.
Weinberg and his puppets do though......
Ronaldus Magnus

United States

#50 Jun 6, 2011
Titus Canby wrote:
<quoted text>
At 22.26 mills I'd like my property value to come DOWN.
The "value" does me little good because I don't use my home equity like an ATM machine.
As has been mentioned before, if just YOUR property value (by that I mean your assessment) goes down, then your tax bill will go down but if everybody's property value goes down (which it has) then your taxes will remain the same.

So in effect, the millage rate is much higher than 22.26 because a house assessed at say $200,000 is really only worth about $180,000 or so but the owner of that house is still required to pay the taxes based on the $200,000 assessment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallastown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pastor: Church sign on Ramadan drew angry call,... Jun 20 The Prophet MO LIES 9
News Friends of Fawn Twp. homicide victim call abuse... (May '11) May '16 Laura 23
News DA: Investigators 'getting close' to arrest in ... (Apr '11) Feb '16 iknowinfo 7
News Dallastown schools suspends accused mom (Oct '08) Sep '15 friendofafriend 54
News Incumbent district judge has two challengers fo... (Jun '15) Jun '15 DWI 1
News Former cashier charged with assault says racial... (Feb '11) May '15 BillyBobb 150
News Dallastown grad Lindsay Erin tours York County ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Hailey 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallastown Mortgages