Dallastown school board votes to outs...

Dallastown school board votes to outsource food service

There are 86 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Apr 21, 2011, titled Dallastown school board votes to outsource food service. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

The Dallastown Area School Board voted 5-2 Thursday night to make Chartwells the district's new food service provider.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
In The Know

United States

#1 Apr 22, 2011
Desperation all around in the tax and spend Dallastown district with the administration trying to cut expenses by outsourcing the food service and the teacher's union trying to save face with a "wage freeze" offer.

Let the taxpayers speak on May 17th.......
Start Packing

York, PA

#2 Apr 22, 2011
Spendberg must go. Quit nibbling around the edges and address the real problem. If any of the incumbent school board members want a prayer of a chance of retaining their jobs, they must fire Whineberg.

Otherwise, May 17 is going to be a bloodbath.
The Daily Planet

York, PA

#3 Apr 22, 2011
Just as long as the meat & cheeses remain prime-U.S. government grade D quality! Do they still serve pizza burgers?
taxpayer

York, PA

#4 Apr 22, 2011
What are the details for May 17th ? where ? time?
hmmm

York, PA

#5 Apr 22, 2011
If the kids all brought bag lunches from home it would save the district lots!
YDR Jokes

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Apr 22, 2011
Another awesome reporting job by YDR. The teachers offered a 1.5 year pay freeze saving the district 1.7 million dollars and the headlines to the article are about outsourcing food services...with poor reporting like this the public will never wake up and see the truth...what is there to "discuss" about a pay freeze?
Im just saying

York, PA

#7 Apr 22, 2011
Isn't it funny how weinberg brought this company into 2 other districts? I smell a kickback, maybe a condo in SC where he will go to live happily ever after in 2 yrs. Mean while Dtown will be left pick up the pieces for yrs to come. Chartwells, while it doesnt have glowing reviews, is just a business trying to make a buck. It isn't the "Evil Empire" Stewie is! So good luck Dtown when all your VERY devoted employees seek other employment. Oh and one more thing, shame on board members who sit there like puppets, you wanted that position. Do the hard work it requires (maybe a little investigating)
Shocker

York, PA

#8 Apr 22, 2011
They say it is expected to save money but will it? Meanwhile it sounds like a few underpaid, hardworking cafeteria workers who live in the district and pay taxes will be losing jobs. This system in place at Dallastown where the top dogs keep making money hand over fist in a bad economic time is not a victimless crime. It's time for the people in this district to decide whether you want to continue sitting on your hands or do something about it.
Where

Dallastown, PA

#9 Apr 22, 2011
where would these teachers go? they make 15,000 more than any other teacher in York County and no one is hiring overpaid stagnant teachers. a new teacher at 50,000 cheaper will do more and be excited about teaching. here's an idea- retirement at 20 years like the military to get more young teachers into the system.
Im just saying wrote:
Isn't it funny how weinberg brought this company into 2 other districts? I smell a kickback, maybe a condo in SC where he will go to live happily ever after in 2 yrs. Mean while Dtown will be left pick up the pieces for yrs to come. Chartwells, while it doesnt have glowing reviews, is just a business trying to make a buck. It isn't the "Evil Empire" Stewie is! So good luck Dtown when all your VERY devoted employees seek other employment. Oh and one more thing, shame on board members who sit there like puppets, you wanted that position. Do the hard work it requires (maybe a little investigating)
Ann

York, PA

#10 Apr 22, 2011
YDR Jokes wrote:
Another awesome reporting job by YDR. The teachers offered a 1.5 year pay freeze saving the district 1.7 million dollars and the headlines to the article are about outsourcing food services...with poor reporting like this the public will never wake up and see the truth...what is there to "discuss" about a pay freeze?
Did you go to the meeting? Do you know this from being at the meeting?
Ann

York, PA

#11 Apr 22, 2011
Shocker wrote:
They say it is expected to save money but will it? Meanwhile it sounds like a few underpaid, hardworking cafeteria workers who live in the district and pay taxes will be losing jobs. This system in place at Dallastown where the top dogs keep making money hand over fist in a bad economic time is not a victimless crime. It's time for the people in this district to decide whether you want to continue sitting on your hands or do something about it.
Lots of people are losing jobs. The administration took a pay freeze and administrative positions were cut as well. Your comment makes me wonder if you too actually go to any meetings and know anything about what's been done.
Linda

York, PA

#12 Apr 22, 2011
Make them retire at 20 yrs? Then pay their retirement and benefits until they die--makes no sense to me.
The Daily Planet

York, PA

#13 Apr 22, 2011
If anyone wants to complain about what teachers make and how 'easy' the job is - then go get your degree in education and offer to work for $15-20,000 less per year and/or less benefits. That would save the district (or any district) money and solve all of the problems - or so one would think from reading these posts.

Education is money well spent. Not that you can spend it recklessly. And all sides need to take some accountability and responsibility when the fiscal picture becomes a challenge. But you get out of it what you put in. And it effects the entire community more than most if not all other aspects of our life.
Darling

Lancaster, PA

#14 Apr 22, 2011
The Daily Planet wrote:
If anyone wants to complain about what teachers make and how 'easy' the job is - then go get your degree in education and offer to work for $15-20,000 less per year and/or less benefits. That would save the district (or any district) money and solve all of the problems - or so one would think from reading these posts.
Education is money well spent. Not that you can spend it recklessly. And all sides need to take some accountability and responsibility when the fiscal picture becomes a challenge. But you get out of it what you put in. And it effects the entire community more than most if not all other aspects of our life.
There are already certified teachers willing to work for less but they are not allowed to do so because of the union contracts. PA has more teachers than teaching jobs and contnues to graduate more every year.
leppy

York, PA

#15 Apr 22, 2011
get rid of half of the atletic programs and the fiscal problem will be greatly diminished...seems we have all lost track of the fact that school is for educating young people...not giving them some hopeless idea that someday they too might go on to be a professional athlete...the numbers speak for themselves...only 1 in 10000 high school athletes go on to the pros and that's if they don't get hurt or disabled permanently trying all their life to get to that level...wake up !!!
Im just saying

York, PA

#16 Apr 22, 2011
Some of these programs are the only reason that kids are excited about school. Keep them, get rid of Dtowns well stocked technology department. They are completely left out of these cuts. How many IT people does it take to run a dristrict?
leppy wrote:
get rid of half of the atletic programs and the fiscal problem will be greatly diminished...seems we have all lost track of the fact that school is for educating young people...not giving them some hopeless idea that someday they too might go on to be a professional athlete...the numbers speak for themselves...only 1 in 10000 high school athletes go on to the pros and that's if they don't get hurt or disabled permanently trying all their life to get to that level...wake up !!!
IT guy

Ashburn, VA

#17 Apr 22, 2011
Im just saying wrote:
Some of these programs are the only reason that kids are excited about school. Keep them, get rid of Dtowns well stocked technology department. They are completely left out of these cuts. How many IT people does it take to run a dristrict?
<quoted text>
How many people does it take to run a district? Simple answer, a lot. I've worked in both the education and business sectors. Right now, my company has about 200 in it and we have 5 IT people. Your average school district in York has at least 250 employees, some upwards of 500, PLUS 5,000 students. The districts have about 10-12 IT people (desktop support, network support, instructional technology). And I'm guessing that Dallastown falls pretty close to that range. I'd say that's bare minimum.
Still in Jacobus

York, PA

#18 Apr 22, 2011
The Daily Planet wrote:
If anyone wants to complain about what teachers make and how 'easy' the job is - then go get your degree in education and offer to work for $15-20,000 less per year and/or less benefits. That would save the district (or any district) money and solve all of the problems - or so one would think from reading these posts.
Education is money well spent. Not that you can spend it recklessly. And all sides need to take some accountability and responsibility when the fiscal picture becomes a challenge. But you get out of it what you put in. And it effects the entire community more than most if not all other aspects of our life.
My "complaints" aren't about what a teach makes. The work they do is arduous and they should be compensated appropriately for the value they provide based on education, experience and, most importantly, effectiveness. As long as the unions and teachers continue to push tenure as a "must have" guarantee in their contracts, they will never be taken seriously by private sector tax payers. Tenure has long outlived its relevance in the public school environment. With the stringent guidelines that narrowly define what curriculum is taught and how it is presented, the original motivation behind tenure is no longer valid, particulary for primary and secondary school teachers.

Compete on even footing with your peers and without this progressive safety net, and I will be the first to rally for bonuses based on performance. However, as long as the tenure guarantee, defined benefit retirement system and non-performance based pay system exist, the profession won't be taken seriously. Your arguements based on the public service you provide to the community and the education necessary for entry are irrelevant. Teachers are a public employees serving at the pleasure of the community. As such and considering the guarantees (tenure, pay and benefits regardless of the product you deliver) afforded by the profession, your pay should "never" be on par with an equally educated and experienced, private sector administration employee.
little piggy

York, PA

#19 Apr 22, 2011
i agree with leppy. too many sports activities. we see buses leaving d-town school for other districts for several different sporting events. cost money to operate the buses. the sporting events are keeping the children in school BUT are they learning anything? also many of the children do not live too far from the schools--why can't they walk???
Fresh Cope

York, PA

#20 Apr 22, 2011
Hey YDR why aren't you reporting the fact that this is the exact same food company Spendberg outsourced to at BOTH of his previous employers? But I'm sure it's a straight up deal. I'm sure the district solicited bids from at least 3 contract food services. No need to ask questions. Remember sheeple this all the teachers fault no need to dig deeper or be skeptical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallastown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Incumbent district judge has two challengers fo... (Jun '15) Jul '16 Greater Good 2
News Pastor: Church sign on Ramadan drew angry call,... Jun '16 The Prophet MO LIES 9
News Friends of Fawn Twp. homicide victim call abuse... (May '11) May '16 Laura 23
News DA: Investigators 'getting close' to arrest in ... (Apr '11) Feb '16 iknowinfo 7
News Dallastown schools suspends accused mom (Oct '08) Sep '15 friendofafriend 54
News Former cashier charged with assault says racial... (Feb '11) May '15 BillyBobb 150
News Dallastown grad Lindsay Erin tours York County ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Hailey 1

Dallastown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallastown Mortgages