Dallastown sailor's mother still sear...

Dallastown sailor's mother still searching for answers about hi...

There are 27 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Mar 7, 2010, titled Dallastown sailor's mother still searching for answers about hi.... In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

He's there every night, waiting for Caroline Lenhart Spahr. When she closes her eyes, she sees the pictures from the Navy reports, her son's blood on the boat deck.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anchors Aweigh

York, PA

#21 Mar 9, 2010
We can all second guess any military/civilian safety program; but they've been in business for a long time. When accidents occur, they try very hard to rectify the situation. This was an extremely unfortunate accident, which these sailors normally could do in their sleep; they've done it so often. You folks should work the flight deck on an aircraft carrier; darkened ship, naturally, AT NIGHT. When the anchor is aweigh, the unexpected movement of any boat and/or ship requires one to develop "sea legs"; as in this case, that doesn't even help AT TIMES. Very dangerous environment and condolences to the family. Accidents do and will continue to happens. If not, scratch the word from the dictionary.
their is a reason

Felton, PA

#22 Mar 10, 2010
Bets wrote:
God bless and be with you, giving you the strength you need to heal. I never knew your son, but I am sure he loved you very much. Because he loved you I think you know he wouldn't want you to dwell on the sadness your heart carries because he has been carried home. It would sadden him deeply knowing how tortured you now are. When things like this happen we lose some of who and what we are ourselves, never again to be the same, but we can't let it destroy our lives. Though it is hard, those we love need to have lived for something. Your son losing his life has changed the way the Navy now carries out it's operations. That is one small positive that came from his great sacrifice. Being able to live with the ability to once again find reasons to smile in our hearts is another way we can give their having lived more meaning. That is what they would want us to do for them. When I lost someone I loved in a tragic accident some years ago I almost lost my mind. I know what it is like to scream silently inside in pain all waking moments. I have cried so hard I was unable to form words to pray. God carried me. Now I have learned to smile that I had that chance to love and be loved by them instead of cry. I carry their memory in my heart always only a thought away. I live my life as if there is no tomorrow, looking for even small reasons to be thankful for the gift of my life, because another never came for the one I loved. I truly pray you can heal to the point that you too can once again find more reasons to smile in your heart for your son than to cry, celebrating by your finding your way to being happy again in his honor.
You are a caring and knowledgable with an understanding nature for the pain and hardships others endure. I hope your career path has taken you in an area that utilizes your insight, life experiences , kind and helpful wisdom with advice for those in mental, emotional and at times physical pain from an unrelenting painful life situation. You write as a person who has been there and can contribute much to another human's healing in their time of desperate need. If you are not in this line of work you should seriously make a decision to take steps forward in this direction.
To the Sphar and Green Family my deepest sympathy. May you find peace and some closure in the kind thoughts, prayers from others and the fond memories of your loved Gaitlin knowing he gave his life honorably serving our country..
hells angels mc-family

Annandale, VA

#23 Mar 10, 2010
Please let heros rest in piece.
USMC

York, PA

#24 Jan 16, 2011
Don't ever trust our Goverment!!
Rest In Peace

York, PA

#25 Jan 16, 2011
USMC wrote:
Don't ever trust our Goverment!!
"Goverment"???? You are an absolute disgrace to the USMC...bet you didn't serve one day in any branch of our heroic USA military! Writer Jeff Frantz, I CAN imagine WHO has placed this story on the front burner, once again! For we who have lost loved ones, nothing will ever bring them back. We must all, somehow, learn to adjust. Life itself, most especially in the military, is extremely dangerous. Loss of life, serving aboard ship/in a ditch collapse/auto accident and on and on is tragic. Accidents do and will continue to happen; if not, remove the word ACCIDENT from the dictionary. Many of us very sincerely offered our condolences, along with the U.S. NAVY! What more can be done? Concentrate on the good this young man gave to society by serving his country!
Fair Winds and Following Seas!
george

AOL

#26 May 23, 2011
may Petty Officer Gatlin Green rest in peace.
His sister

Chambersburg, PA

#27 May 23, 2011
I do not care for this particular article about my brother. I do not care for it's writer. I can tell those who responded who have not yet felt the kind of grief I have felt. One day you will think of this article and finally understand just why your comments were so hurtful. One day you will feel this amount of pain. I hope no one ever responds under this comment. I struggle with the fact that my brother is gone every day. Your comments only deepen our suffering.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallastown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dallastown couple arrested in bank robbery (Sep '09) Oct '16 Tslober1242 31
News Incumbent district judge has two challengers fo... (Jun '15) Sep '16 Jonas Johnson 3
News DA: Investigators 'getting close' to arrest in ... (Apr '11) Sep '16 Somebody 8
News Pastor: Church sign on Ramadan drew angry call,... (Jun '16) Jun '16 The Prophet MO LIES 9
News Friends of Fawn Twp. homicide victim call abuse... (May '11) May '16 Laura 23
News Dallastown schools suspends accused mom (Oct '08) Sep '15 friendofafriend 54
News Former cashier charged with assault says racial... (Feb '11) May '15 BillyBobb 150

Dallastown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallastown Mortgages