State primary system draws local crit...

State primary system draws local criticism for excluding independents, others

There are 6 comments on the The York Daily Record story from May 21, 2011, titled State primary system draws local criticism for excluding independents, others. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

York College political science professor Melvin Kulbicki sees a certain doomed futility in trying to take the politics out of politics.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Eggman

York, PA

#1 May 21, 2011
The party's nominee should be chosen from members of that party. To do otherwise would be a travesty. If you want to register as an independent, then you don't get to vote in the primaries. The choice is yours.
Jim

Spring Grove, PA

#2 May 21, 2011
Eggman wrote:
The party's nominee should be chosen from members of that party. To do otherwise would be a travesty. If you want to register as an independent, then you don't get to vote in the primaries. The choice is yours.
Don't think the people in these open primary states consider their system a travesty. I think it's time Pennsylvania moves out of the good old boy party boss system.

Alabama
Arkansas
Georgia
Indiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
North Dakota
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
MagdaMae

Jarrettsville, MD

#3 May 22, 2011
Eggman wrote:
This is not a choice and we need to change the system. Sorry to your thinking but times have changed. A system that locks out any voter is not a fair and just system. The United States of America was created to be fair and just to all.
MagdaMae

Jarrettsville, MD

#4 May 22, 2011
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think the people in these open primary states consider their system a travesty. I think it's time Pennsylvania moves out of the good old boy party boss system.
Alabama
Arkansas
Georgia
Indiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
North Dakota
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
I agree with you. There are more than two parties now. We must recognize all valid parties. Even though I am registed with a recognized party. I would still like to choose the candidate I want to when I enter the voting booth. I'm tired of debates between two parties. I here the same old nonsense over and over again. I don't want to here these two parties anymore. I want new choices and ideas.
MagdaMae

Jarrettsville, MD

#5 May 22, 2011
I'm sorry, I ment "hear".
Jennifer

Wilmington, DE

#6 May 23, 2011
Thank you for this article. The rights of the people HAVE to outweigh the rights of the two major parties if we are to advance - versus continue to erode - our democracy. Independents are making a statement by not affiliating with either of the two major parties and should not ever have to be forced to register into one of the parties to participate in the the crucial first round of voting called the primaries. And just because things are set up this way does not mean that they have to or should stay the same. Also, Independents are not out to change registration strategically to vote for the other major party's least elect-able candidate, if that goes on that is an issue of corruption between the two major parties NOT independents. We are nationally up to 38% of the electorate, more than either of the two major parties, but the election system remains grossly biased for and benefiting Democrats and Republicans. Please join our organization's efforts to support Rep. Depasquale's set of reform bills. You can find us at PA Independents org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallastown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PHOTOS: Chief Kahley to retire from York Citya Dec 6 Gofigure 3
News Friends of Fawn Twp. homicide victim call abuse... (May '11) Nov 21 Joe dirt 24
News Dallastown looks at full-day kindergarten (Nov '09) Nov 19 Singlemom 20
News No homicide charge yet for Red Lion man accused... (Nov '12) Aug '17 justice for Ian o... 3
News Red Lion family makes most of dog's last days (Jun '17) Jun '17 Justellnthetruth 1
News Signs of prejudice (Aug '08) May '17 Dook29 100
Nazi sympathizer and holocaust denier working f... (May '17) May '17 Community watch 1

Dallastown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallastown Mortgages