Fat Daddy's wrongful death suit settl...

Fat Daddy's wrongful death suit settled for $795,000

There are 100 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Mar 24, 2011, titled Fat Daddy's wrongful death suit settled for $795,000. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

A seven-year-old wrongful death suit against Fat Daddy's Nightclub and Bar, its owners and six bouncers has ended in an arbitrated settlement for $795,000. That agreement calls for the nightclub's insurance carrier to pay that amount to the estate of David A. Potter Jr., specifically Potter's two children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
HRW

Roxbury, PA

#91 Mar 27, 2011
I'm sorry of the end results of this incident. But I'm not sure how Fat Daddy's is liable for his death. It sounds like the bouncers acted properly in the situation. He was asked to leave the scene and instead of doing that, he became aggressive and was threatening staff. Why are people never held accountable for their actions?

Fat Daddy's shouldn't be held responsible for the fact that this guy was not following the rules and created a scuffle between him and the staff. The staff did not cause him to stop breathing and they can't help that this guy may/may not have had some underlying cardiac arrhythmia.
Nikki

Toledo, OH

#92 Mar 27, 2011
WhyBother wrote:
another bum dead..........good
You say that now but wait till something happens to one of your family members .. Ha you'll be thinking differently ..
whatyoulookinat

Felton, PA

#93 Mar 27, 2011
HotelYorba wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you just the coolest. Just be honest, you are probably white and wishing you were black with your pants hanging down low so everyone can see your spongebob boxers and your white @ss crack hanging out. The biggest city you have probably been to or seen is York and no girls in her right mind will get near your limp penis. The only gun you own is probably a nerf gun that is safely tucked under your pillow in your bedroom at your mommies house. Speaking of mommy maybe your mommy could smack the stupid out of you, then again you can't fix stupid. Lets face it the only reason you fantasize about selling overpriced coke is because you like the idea of smuggling it in your anus. Yep I think that pretty much sums it up.
lmfaooooooo talking about brutal sheeesh you totally killed him dude....i cant stop laughing!!!!
California Kid

Newton, IA

#94 Mar 27, 2011
Shut the dive down,,,,
YDR Reporter

York, PA

#95 Mar 28, 2011
I like how the reporter nicely glosses over some very serious issues involved.

The bouncers were seen laughing on their way back in after killing a man.

They left him out in the rain face down in mud.

The ownership of this place is scum.

To stay open this place should be forced to show what type of training their bouncers receive.

The security at this nightclub escalates trouble in each and every situation being bloodthristy.

True nightclub security does not behave in this way, they survey situations and select the safest option for every one before acting.
YDR Reporter

York, PA

#96 Mar 28, 2011
Also to the scummy writer of this article:

Why are you only telling one side of heresay from the scene of the incident?

How much were you paid?
George

Washington, DC

#97 Mar 28, 2011
YDR Reporter wrote:
I like how the reporter nicely glosses over some very serious issues involved.
The bouncers were seen laughing on their way back in after killing a man.
They left him out in the rain face down in mud.
The ownership of this place is scum.
To stay open this place should be forced to show what type of training their bouncers receive.
The security at this nightclub escalates trouble in each and every situation being bloodthristy.
True nightclub security does not behave in this way, they survey situations and select the safest option for every one before acting.
I think you have watched "Roadhouse" too many times! LOL
NOT

York, PA

#98 Mar 28, 2011
past customer wrote:
that's because at least a few of the bouncers were related to current police, that's why they got a safe guarded shake
to the Potter's don't have remorse just take your money and run, fate will have it with Fatdaddy, and the employees are simply friends of the owners that simply like to over eat together and gorge on their concept of being tough
taught by a few very irresponsible individuals on how to use martial techniques to hold someone by force they simply and cowardly strangle their patrons until police show up
in the end they are the ones that have to live with knowing and being known to being a bunch of strangling wannabee tough guys that do not even have the knowledge to loose their waistline let alone a pathetic self centered selfish attitude!
I will never forget the day they refused a man and wife in a tuxedo that was wearing a US Army tee shirt, in the end of this ordeal the bride left crying with the groom along with friends because they would not bend a ridiculous non American rule of no greens!
This is what they do at Fatdaddy they use ridiculous rules to discriminate the patrons
When they get a chance they grope the women that obviously feel groped and used like a sweat cloth
where else can you go to a "naughty school girl night" outing?
even the security system capable of zooming on a chest is coordinated and censored by a patron / friend of the owners
just know your daddy died to prove and point the finger that reveals Satan's spirit where it stands!
What in the world gave you the impression that the police did anything to help the bouncers? They didn't hide anything did they? They actually were probably the ones who helped get the evidence in the first place - evidence that helped the family win their lawsuit. The place is trash.
NOT

York, PA

#99 Mar 28, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
Okay I still don't understand. I was the one that wrote about the arrythmia earlier...it says he died of an arrythmia - again I have these and they are not caused by someone holding you down or beating on you? They just happen, it's a problem with the electrical circuits of the brain, and sometimes sadly it ends lives. Was it proven he was suffucated by mulch? Really? Where are you getting this information?
And for the other commenter that says "there was a death, I would sue as well, somebody died". Death is not always someone's fault, who gives you the right to sue random people when someone dies. My mother and sister got hit by a truck right in front of me when I was 8 years old. And died. No one got sued. Because somebody doesn't have to sue everytime someone dies, only sue happy people do this - it's not always someone's fault.
THE CORONER RULED DEATH BY ARRYTHMIA NOT SUFFUCATION YOU IDIOT. I don't understand where people come off making up their own stories. I don't even go to this bar - hate the place - and I don't know any of the bouncers and don't care to know them - but a coroner would not lie FOR ALL OF YOU ASININE CONSPIRACY THEORISTS OUT THERE. Cornoners do their job well.
Which would certainly explain why the police never charged anyone.
WhyBother

Somerset, NJ

#100 Mar 29, 2011
good grammar you educated ape....awwwwww did you lose a family drunk ????? LOL
concerned for safety wrote:
<quoted text> YOUR A JERK AND SHOULD KILL YOURSELF IMMEDIATELY... NEXT TIME IT MIGHT BE SOMEONE YOU KNOW AND LOVE YOU LOSER!!
really

York, PA

#101 Mar 29, 2011
Being in the field of work. Drunk people in general dont listen. They know everything and the sober employee is wrong.... Think about it. The bouncers there only get involved when it is necessary, when you've had too much to drink and you just need to call it a night, to Mr tough guy/girl thinks they can act a fool, harrassing women. They are hired to keep things calm.and if you cant do that, then why should they let you back in. Fat Daddy's is a great place to be. when I do go out, thats where Im at.then theres that Someone that obviously wasnt raised right, comes and screws things up. Dress code: People really dont want to see your ass hanging out of your jeans< or anything else hanging out of your clothes. Knowing the people that work there, they are great people, and i would trust them with my life. Accidents happen, I am sorry for the family for there loss. People just need to stop and listen to whats going on instead yelling nonsense.
MOTHER OF DAVID POTTER

York, PA

#102 Mar 30, 2011
FOR THE LAST WEEK I HAVE BEEN READING ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS. MY SON WAS NOT AN AMINAL, HE WAS NOT A PERSON WITH A MEDCIAL DEFECT. YOU KNOW I'M NOT GO THROUGH ALL THE COMMENTS. ALL I CAN SAY THAT HE HAS GOTTEN EVERY THING HE DESERVES, $790,000. WHO IS TALKING SHIT NOW.HA, HA HA ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK R.I.P I LOVE YOU BABY
TomTom

York, PA

#103 Mar 30, 2011
MOTHER OF DAVID POTTER wrote:
ALL I CAN SAY THAT HE HAS GOTTEN EVERY THING HE DESERVES,$790,000. WHO IS TALKING SHIT NOW.HA, HA HA ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK R.I.P I LOVE YOU BABY
You forgot something else, he got dead. And u can no longer spread that DNA.
MOTHER

York, PA

#104 Mar 30, 2011
TomTom wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot something else, he got dead. And u can no longer spread that DNA.
HE MAY OF GOT DEAD BUT THE DNA CAN STILL BE CARRIED. BY THE WAY, WHERE DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL???????? BY THE WAY $795000 WILL TAKE HIS KIDS EDUCATION AND THEN SOME.
Family Member

York, PA

#105 Mar 30, 2011
R.I.P. DJ!! you will be truly missed!
Some of these comments have me shaking my head. Yes the bouncers were doing their job, BUT, there are always 2 sides to every story... what you have read is what "they" ( the bouncers/employees) said. But i was told that yes he resisted at first but then said he would leave, instead they grabbed him and took him outside, you would think they would let him go when he got outside but instead they sat on top of him and wouldnt let him up...
past customer

Etters, PA

#106 Apr 2, 2011
NOT wrote:
<quoted text>
What in the world gave you the impression that the police did anything to help the bouncers? They didn't hide anything did they? They actually were probably the ones who helped get the evidence in the first place - evidence that helped the family win their lawsuit. The place is trash.
they let them get away with it initially as they always did!
it is not too hard to figure out, they strangle the patrons then call the police!

I know for a fact that at least one was related to a cop in that area!

All those bouncers will get what they have coming to them one by one just wait and see you will be reading about them and most especially the owners!
KLYNN

Chalfont, PA

#107 Mar 16, 2013
Do us all a favor and stay in BMORE....u r disgusting..and the best part?? You are that stupid that ur proud of it! YOU GOT ALOT OF ROOM TO TALK ABOUT STUPID
bmore4life wrote:
If a bouncer ever gets out of line with me I will calmly leave and wait until he leaves and follow him home and put 2 in his head and go back home to bmore like nothing happened. I only come to York to slut out white girls and sell them overpriced coke cause their to stupid.
Tchu

Chalfont, PA

#108 Jan 2, 2014
I've been a bouncer off and on for 15 yrs... This is the first I've heard about this incident.. In my years of experience 99% of the guys hired as bouncers lack the personality to deal with the public properly.. I've had guns pulled on me.. Never shot, had people threaten to stab me, but never happened and have actually had multiple people approach me and tell me I am the nicest bouncer they ever met.... When patrons enter a bar/club the bouncer needs to know how to identify the potential trouble makers and at some point start a general conversation with these individuals to become more personal and this can happen over multiple visits that way when and if these individuals start trouble when approached by the bouncer they are more likely to back down and leave, when closing time comes treat people with respect yes their drunk and annoying but a patron is much more likely to listen to a request than the bouncers yelling ok get the fuck out its time to go... Only twice in fifteen yrs have I had to use excessive force and that was for personal protection... Quite honestly most bars in York need to concentrate more on individual mentality vs how big their bouncers are or fighting experience and in most situations pat downs and purse searches would really benefit everyone patron and employee
Captain Obvious

York, PA

#109 Jan 2, 2014
MOTHER wrote:
<quoted text> HE MAY OF GOT DEAD BUT THE DNA CAN STILL BE CARRIED. BY THE WAY, WHERE DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL???????? BY THE WAY $795000 WILL TAKE HIS KIDS EDUCATION AND THEN SOME.
When the lawyers are done getting their share, the family will not get anywhere near that amount. Figure at least 40% will go to the ambulance chasers.
As for the DNA, unless he stored and froze it, his DNA died with him. He can still spread half off his genes through his kids but his is toast.
thegraciousfew

Du Bois, PA

#110 May 5, 2014
that place is a piece of crap anyways
i feel bad for the boys, but that place is awful and needs to shut down

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallastown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Million dollar market: average price of detache... Mar '17 packed in like Flies 1
News Dallastown couple arrested in bank robbery (Sep '09) Oct '16 Tslober1242 31
News Incumbent district judge has two challengers fo... (Jun '15) Sep '16 Jonas Johnson 3
News DA: Investigators 'getting close' to arrest in ... (Apr '11) Sep '16 Somebody 8
News Pastor: Church sign on Ramadan drew angry call,... (Jun '16) Jun '16 The Prophet MO LIES 9
News Friends of Fawn Twp. homicide victim call abuse... (May '11) May '16 Laura 23
News Dallastown schools suspends accused mom (Oct '08) Sep '15 friendofafriend 54

Dallastown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallastown Mortgages