Dallastown school board's budget trimming suggestions draw crowd

The Dallastown Area School Board meeting drew a standing-room-only crowd Thursday who talked about proposed cuts and other issues the district faces as it explores ways to make up for a $2.9 million budget deficit for next year. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sally

Dover, PA

#1 Mar 20, 2011
Get rid of the school boards and turn everything over to the taxpayers, next step get rid of the teachers unions all across Pennsylvania, eleminate all property tax and put a tax on all clothing and food and beer ect. The Superintendents will take a 40% pay cut and pay 50 % of their benefits, teachers will take a 30% cut in pay and pay 40% of their benefits,and no raise for 5 years until everything picks up.
Ridiculous

Alexandria, VA

#2 Mar 20, 2011
Sally wrote:
Get rid of the school boards and turn everything over to the taxpayers, next step get rid of the teachers unions all across Pennsylvania, eleminate all property tax and put a tax on all clothing and food and beer ect. The Superintendents will take a 40% pay cut and pay 50 % of their benefits, teachers will take a 30% cut in pay and pay 40% of their benefits,and no raise for 5 years until everything picks up.
Ha. See if any talented college student majors in elementary or secondary ed if the starting pay is $25k a year (assuming a 30 percent pay cut from $35k, as you propose). That comes out to $11.78/hour.

Do you really expect to attract talented teachers if you pay them peanuts? And don't give me the "they need to deal with the recession..." BS, no one with a college and $25K in student debt will work for that.
Ridiculous

Alexandria, VA

#3 Mar 20, 2011
*a college degree
kev

York, PA

#4 Mar 20, 2011
i didnt vote for corbet very inexperienced no clue how to create jobs just how to get rid of them.
In The Know

Silver Spring, MD

#5 Mar 20, 2011
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha. See if any talented college student majors in elementary or secondary ed if the starting pay is $25k a year (assuming a 30 percent pay cut from $35k, as you propose). That comes out to $11.78/hour.
Do you really expect to attract talented teachers if you pay them peanuts? And don't give me the "they need to deal with the recession..." BS, no one with a college and $25K in student debt will work for that.
The starting salary for a Dallastown teacher is just about 44-thousand a year so a 30 percent cut would acutally be down around 31-thousand a year.
Such a move across the salary schedule from top to bottom in Dallastown would probably be worth some 7 million dollars or more in savings for the taxpayers.
I don't support that pe se but wanted to put out some more accurate figures for consideration.
Just the Facts

York, PA

#6 Mar 21, 2011
We're lucky if ANY of our college grads can get jobs these days. Stop complaining about a teacher salary cut to 31K. College grads are lucky to find MINIMUM wage jobs!
leppy

York, PA

#7 Mar 21, 2011
I can't believe Leaders Heights Elementary is still open with the new Taj mahal school less than 5 miles down the trail sitting with so much empty space...combine them and save us some money...I have a good job and have lived here all my life...so does my wife...I even own a small business that has been doing ok even in these hard times...but if I have to keep enduring these never ending tax increases year after year I am out of here
Think about it

United States

#8 Mar 21, 2011
Sports is a big part of the budget. Last I knew you went to school for education, not sports. Pay to play or atleast cut sports funding in half. Then the teachers should also make no more than 30,000 to start and have decent benefits, not luxuries.....
Taxpayer

United States

#9 Mar 21, 2011
BooHoo....what no third grade strings program and some parents are upset??? Who cares, if you REALLY want your third grader to play the strings at this age, then enroll YOUR child in a music program at YOUR cost!!! There are plenty of music teachers out there available for private lessons! Don't you people understand this district has been anything and everything to everyone for way too long, the taxpayer money has run OUT! Programs have to be cut and or reduced. Next cut should be full day babysitting, oops, I meant to say kindergarten.

This school board and weinberg have put the taxpayers in a huge financial hole and debt with the new Taj Mahal and teacher raises, now we have to reduce costs....cut baby cut!
George

Washington, DC

#10 Mar 21, 2011
kev wrote:
i didnt vote for corbet very inexperienced no clue how to create jobs just how to get rid of them.
And how much experience did Fast Eddie have?
bikebuilder

York, PA

#11 Mar 21, 2011
Sally wrote:
And you can are an idiot! Get your head out of the sand! Push the the State to change funding for schools to income tax based so it is FAIR!
wbmk

Harrisburg, PA

#12 Mar 21, 2011
Why in God's name would you close the one elementary school with the best performance and dump the kids into poorly performing and overcrowded schools? In fact, more students would benefit from being moved from York Township to Leader Heights. And to the genius that suggested moving them to an intermediate school.... are you stupid. They are different grades and the intermediate school was built for the future generations which will be dumping into Dtown in the next 10 years. Teachers should take a salary freeze for the next 2 years to get over this hump and stop contracting everything out. Do we really need private companies to do the landscaping? Pay three people 50K and you would have a gorgeous complex without the cost you spend for private.
Why not

Parkton, MD

#13 Mar 21, 2011
I was dead set against cutting sports but now I am changing my tune. If my kids want to play sports we pay for them now, they are still in elementary school. They know now that they aren't able to play them all because we don't have the money to and they are growing up just fine. They play the sports they really like and are goodd at playing. I don't see what the big deal is if we all had to do this and it would save jobs of people that make a difference in our kids lives. I am not saying sports doesn't but my personal opinion is the teachers and aids and specials should come first. again just my opinion
Why not

Parkton, MD

#14 Mar 21, 2011
i guess i should say pay to play not cut them. i feel that would be terrible to cut!!! Sorry
Wow

Spring Grove, PA

#15 Mar 21, 2011
Dallastown has been a strong and well respected school district in York County both scholastically and athletically.
Lets hope they get it right fiscally. I believe they are doing the right thing by engaging the public tax payer in these discussions before they start making difficult cuts.
I would suggest in the realm of sports and music... if at all possible, that each program is reduced in such a way that the parents of a lacrosse player and a string player endure the same percentaged increase of pay to keep their children involved in their respective programs.
norulesjustright

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Mar 21, 2011
Great ideas to cut the sports and music programs...the only thing most kids look forward to in school. Students who play music tend to be better students. And sports help keep students in better shape. In today's world, I think they should increase the choices of sports. A lot of the kids that play can't afford to play. I don't blame teachers for wanting to get paid more every year because every employee wants to maximize the money they make but teachers should not be immune to the recession. And I think there are some very smart teachers out there...but at my university the brightest students were not education majors and they are making better starting salaries then most majors.
AIFA MOM

York, PA

#17 Mar 21, 2011
Taxpayer wrote:
BooHoo....what no third grade strings program and some parents are upset??? Who cares, if you REALLY want your third grader to play the strings at this age, then enroll YOUR child in a music program at YOUR cost!!! There are plenty of music teachers out there available for private lessons! Don't you people understand this district has been anything and everything to everyone for way too long, the taxpayer money has run OUT! Programs have to be cut and or reduced. Next cut should be full day babysitting, oops, I meant to say kindergarten.
This school board and weinberg have put the taxpayers in a huge financial hole and debt with the new Taj Mahal and teacher raises, now we have to reduce costs....cut baby cut!
I live in Dallastown school, and my kids graduated years ago, however, I pose the question, what is the difference $$ wise in having morning AND afternoon kindergarten having to pay to bus those same kids vs having them in the district all day and riding the bus with the other elementary children? The teachers are still there for a full day regardless.
George

Washington, DC

#18 Mar 21, 2011
norulesjustright wrote:
Great ideas to cut the sports and music programs...the only thing most kids look forward to in school. Students who play music tend to be better students. And sports help keep students in better shape. In today's world, I think they should increase the choices of sports. A lot of the kids that play can't afford to play. I don't blame teachers for wanting to get paid more every year because every employee wants to maximize the money they make but teachers should not be immune to the recession. And I think there are some very smart teachers out there...but at my university the brightest students were not education majors and they are making better starting salaries then most majors.
A selct few students participate in sports! they can get just as much exercise in properly administered phys ed classes!
Taxpayer

United States

#19 Mar 21, 2011
George wrote:
<quoted text>A selct few students participate in sports! they can get just as much exercise in properly administered phys ed classes!
You mean the WI video game phys ed class at the new Taj Mahal?? What a joke and we all are paying for it.
Taxpayer

United States

#20 Mar 21, 2011
AIFA MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in Dallastown school, and my kids graduated years ago, however, I pose the question, what is the difference $$ wise in having morning AND afternoon kindergarten having to pay to bus those same kids vs having them in the district all day and riding the bus with the other elementary children? The teachers are still there for a full day regardless.
Because with full day kindergarten you have to double the teaching staff and double the classroom space.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallastown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dallastown grad Lindsay Erin tours York County ... Mar 19 Hailey 1
Review: Lost N Found Thrift Store Nov '14 dave 1
News Trick-or-treat nights set for York County areas (Oct '08) Nov '14 Batman 54
Write-in votes for Ron Miller or Mike Waugh ins... Oct '14 Thrasher82 1
Review: G & B' S Customs-Enforcer Paintball Oct '14 Arron Hallam 1
Extentended Animal Caging, canit be stopped? (Sep '14) Sep '14 Gio 1
News Dover High grad Shawn Hedrick to again play for... (Aug '10) Aug '14 James 15
Dallastown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dallastown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]