Schools readying to tackle redrawing ...

Schools readying to tackle redrawing district lines

There are 8 comments on the The Gaston Gazette story from Jan 31, 2011, titled Schools readying to tackle redrawing district lines. In it, The Gaston Gazette reports that:

Who's crowded? Who's not: Here's the top two elementary, middle and high schools exceeding capacity and with the most space, based on recent enrollment information from the district.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Gaston Gazette.

Common Sense

Concord, NC

#1 Feb 1, 2011
"All of Gaston County’s high schools are near or over capacity. Ashbrook, Cherryville, Highland and Hunter Huss are near capacity with a range of 94 percent full at Hunter Huss to 97 percent full at Highland, according to recent enrollment figures. Bessemer City, East Gaston, Forestview, North Gaston and South Point are all over capacity.

Who will attend the new high school?

The high school being built in Cramerton is scheduled to open in the fall of 2013"

So schools will continue to be overcrowded for at least 2 more years. Will be interesting to see how the new lines effect South Point.
Linguist

Gastonia, NC

#2 Feb 1, 2011
Common Sense wrote:
"All of Gaston County’s high schools are near or over capacity. Ashbrook, Cherryville, Highland and Hunter Huss are near capacity with a range of 94 percent full at Hunter Huss to 97 percent full at Highland, according to recent enrollment figures. Bessemer City, East Gaston, Forestview, North Gaston and South Point are all over capacity.
Who will attend the new high school?
The high school being built in Cramerton is scheduled to open in the fall of 2013"
So schools will continue to be overcrowded for at least 2 more years. Will be interesting to see how the new lines effect South Point.
The correct word is affect. Effect is a noun.
Malcolm III

United States

#3 Feb 1, 2011
From a $175M bond approval, they've spent $80M, and they have another $95M left.

Question for those who know more about this than me:

Can they use any of the remaining money to pay for teachers, or other expenses, or does it have to be spent on building/repairing/remodeling?
Dexter

Gastonia, NC

#4 Feb 1, 2011
Malcolm III wrote:
From a $175M bond approval, they've spent $80M, and they have another $95M left.
Question for those who know more about this than me:
Can they use any of the remaining money to pay for teachers, or other expenses, or does it have to be spent on building/repairing/remodeling?
They cannot use it to pay teachers. It must be for construction. One reason I always vote against bonds.... even if they are needed at the time you can never tell what the economy will do by the time you implement them. It retrospect, it was a bad vote.
Common Sense

Concord, NC

#5 Feb 1, 2011
Linguist wrote:
<quoted text>The correct word is affect. Effect is a noun.
Opps! Did I miss any commas? Do I still get an A? LOL

So did you read the article? Any thoughts on the article?
Malcolm III

United States

#6 Feb 1, 2011
Dexter wrote:
<quoted text>
They cannot use it to pay teachers. It must be for construction. One reason I always vote against bonds.... even if they are needed at the time you can never tell what the economy will do by the time you implement them. It retrospect, it was a bad vote.
So what happens if they don't spend all of the money?

If they don't need to build all of those schools, can they just repay the bonds early?

In that case, the vote would have been approval to "Do not exceed" $170M.
livermush

San Francisco, CA

#7 Feb 2, 2011
wow
Golden Corral

Gastonia, NC

#8 Feb 5, 2011
These kids are being treated like cattle and they are dumbing them down by taking away the $$$. Net result is a whole generation not able to compete in the global marketplace. Sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Carolina investigators look into body in ... 5 hr MeJustMe 2
A SEARCH for missing man -Jan 23, 2018 at12:38am 14 hr Poster 2
Brent Heavner- where is he? 22 hr Sammie 45
News Worker dies after being hit by bulldozer in Nor... Jan 19 Godseesyou 2
Have you seen him? Missing man Jan 18 sadly updated 3
Kelly Buseck Wood: died 3 years ago. How did ... Dec '17 Buffalo 1
News Jonas Brothers patriarch to open Belmont restau... (Sep '15) Sep '17 lela 20

Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dallas Mortgages