Gaston plans to roll out new early-college high school in 2012

Jan 19, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Gaston Gazette

A high school diploma and an associate's degree will go hand in hand with an early-college high school planned for Gaston County.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Common Sense

Concord, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

This sounds like a great idea, but what about the current budget shortfalls? How do you justify opening a whole new school for at risk students while making such drastic cutbacks at others schools? If you keep cutting back teachers and staff at the other schools then the drop out rate is likely to go up at those schools while this school is looking for students at risk of dropping out. Seems like a viscious circle! It's a shame we don't have more funding for our schools overall.
Malcolm III

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

I wish they'd had this when I was going to school. There is a ton of overlap between high school and the first couple years of college.

High School was fun at times, but it also felt like prison sometimes.
dexter

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

It's really crazy to do this with the economy the way it is. Someone is not living in reality.
Malcolm III

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

The Gazette article doesn't make any mention of the expenses, or how much it costs per student, so there's no way to judge.

For all we know, ditching the traditional High School model is a way to reduce costs.

Anyone able to post some informative links?
Conscientious voter

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

Thanks for a post that does not relate to the nearby food establishments.
Whew... not everyone thinks only about their stomachs(or should I have said "bellies"!!)
abc

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2011

This is fantastic news. Even though the Gazette article doesn't mention it, a big chuck of the ECHS funding actually comes from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Carnegie Corporation and others: http://www.earlycolleges.org/partners.html .

I have several recruited candidates from other ECHS (mainly RTP area) in NC and am very pleased w/ their performance thus far. When you compare the ECHS school report cards w/ the regular HS's you'll see that the ECHS students significantly outperform their peers at regular HS. Having an ECHS in Gaston county is fantastic - now it's time to open one at the Belmont campus (or even Abbey)
Dexter

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2011

abc wrote:
This is fantastic news. Even though the Gazette article doesn't mention it, a big chuck of the ECHS funding actually comes from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Carnegie Corporation and others: http://www.earlycolleges.org/partners.html .
I have several recruited candidates from other ECHS (mainly RTP area) in NC and am very pleased w/ their performance thus far. When you compare the ECHS school report cards w/ the regular HS's you'll see that the ECHS students significantly outperform their peers at regular HS. Having an ECHS in Gaston county is fantastic - now it's time to open one at the Belmont campus (or even Abbey)
Your word " recruited" is interesting... you must have a vested financial interest.:) I am concerned about a watered down curriculum. High schoolers are NOT college students! Can't wait to hear how college instructors are going to deal with 9th & 10th graders! AND their helicopter moms! LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Dallas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dallas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••