FLS Opinion Page - CB's Town Council ...

FLS Opinion Page - CB's Town Council is up for election on Tuesday

There are 9 comments on the fredericksburg.com story from Apr 30, 2010, titled FLS Opinion Page - CB's Town Council is up for election on Tuesday. In it, fredericksburg.com reports that:

The writer is Mayor Frederick C. Rummage, Colonial Beach, VA.

The election for the Colonial Beach Town Council is May 4. I strongly encourage every registered voter to vote.

Date published: 4/30/2010

The election for the Colonial Beach Town Council is May 4. I strongly encourage every registered voter to vote.

If you do not like the direction the town government has taken over the past two years, do something about it.

Three seats are open on the council. Two incumbents are running (David Coombes and C. Wayne Kennedy). Think long and hard before granting their request.

Of the six candidates, two are new. They are Shane Buzby and Mike Ham.

Mr. Busby has a responsible position at Dahlgren and served on the town police force with honor. Mr. Ham, a write-in candidate, is a CPA and has held positions in the U.S. Army for 30 years.

Both should be carefully considered. They have my support. The town needs their expertise to correct its many deficiencies.

On election day, remember the negative votes cast by the current council. To name two: Their failure to approve a new corporation's purchase of the Riverwood Apartments after a $1.5 million renovation proposal and other concessions, and their refusal to make local contributions toward the pavement of streets in Riverside Meadows.

This plan had the support of the county and state, and $300,000 was summarily rejected.

In addition, there is the current council's animosity toward the School Board, causing extensive delays in grant money from the federal government and the snubbing of the interest expressed in the town by Marriott and other economic possibilities.

The town needs a "new" council. Voters can make it happen on May 4.

Frederick C. Rummage
Colonial Beach
The writer is mayor, Colonial Beach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at fredericksburg.com.

yea right

United States

#1 May 3, 2010
No wonder we have the problems with the Council. Rummage doesn't even know who is on Council. C. Wayne Kennedy is running for School Board not Town Council.
Marriott looking at Colonial Beach is only in the mind of the writer (where it is safe because there in nothing else in there). Marriott looked about 10-14 years ago when Mr Buswell was trying to get a Hotel on Town Hill and indicated Marriott deals in distinaton points with Marinia's, golf courses,etc and Colonal Beach did not have enough property. If they would'nt do it during the peak building times they sure would not do it in these ecominic times. Maybe he should have started his letter with "Once Upon a time".
Sadly

King George, VA

#2 May 3, 2010
The mayor is not computer literate. This is a mistake made by his secretary (his wife), I suspect.
yea right

United States

#3 May 3, 2010
Your absolutely correct Sally, only missed it by one word "computer".
Sadly

King George, VA

#4 May 3, 2010
yea right wrote:
Your absolutely correct Sally, only missed it by one word "computer".
Don't be so critical. You're not perfect either...put your glasses on, I'm not Sally.
yea right

United States

#5 May 3, 2010
Thanks Sadly, guess that why I'm not a elected official who should know better.
Felix

Washington, DC

#6 May 3, 2010
yea right wrote:
Thanks Sadly, guess that why I'm not a elected official who should know better.
One reason mabey. But it also takes charisma.
Beach Resident

Washington, DC

#7 May 3, 2010
Love him or hate him, the mayor brings up some very good points here. The current Council has spent the last 2 years more consumed by their personal spats than the problems of the town. They rejected the opportunity to turn around Riverwood, pave the roads in Riverside, and openly dismissed the huge tax base that Monroe Pointe could provide.

Most of the current Councilís energy is focused on being stubborn, arrogant and immature. We need a Council who can work together even when they do not agree with one another. And one that can work with the people and enterprises that can provide us the economic stability we need.

I will not be voting for any of the incumbents. They just canít get the job done.
Another Beach Resident

Callao, VA

#8 May 3, 2010
Most of the stuborn, arrogant and immature things that are happening here in Colonial Beach are because of the MAYOR -- he is a real piece of ????
yea right

United States

#9 May 6, 2010
Guess Fred only got 1 of what he called "HIS Beach Boys" elected. It's a shame he attached them to Busby who I think has the best interest at heart and hopefully will not be lead astray so Fred can fill his adgenda. He has to remember on most things he's upset about, mostly losing his office for being disruptive in the workplace was vote 6 to 1. IMHO that has put Council on notice of a Hostile Work Enviroment by the employees and if he is allowed back they better get the Check Book out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dahlgren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 9 hr Princess Hey 6,618
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 9 hr Princess Hey 5,681
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) Fri Princess Hey 18,021
A-Z For Our Troll (Apr '14) Dec 11 texas pete 132
Riverboat Dec 7 Res 1
Colonial Beach Music Thread (Apr '14) Dec 1 Musikologist 69
Missing shoe Nov 29 Change 2

Dahlgren Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance