Unemployed

King George, VA

#1 Nov 19, 2012
I went over to the school board to get an application for the p/t secretary position and was shocked to see the forms and costs associated with those forms just to apply !$37.00 for fingerprints,$7.00 for background check. Minimum of $75.00 for TB test. I can understand all the cautions needed to be around children, but to do all this and not even be sure I would get the job is insane. To have it done once you are accepted for the position makes more sense. I guess you have to know someone on the school board to get hired. no unemployed person can afford all those up front expenses.
Bill P

Lexington Park, MD

#2 Nov 19, 2012
Many companies will pay for these fees if your are eligable and pass the first interview process. Maybe the school board should get up to date? Fingerprinting is free at your local PD and background checks are usually account driven.(i.e. usually the prospective employer has a back-ground source account and thus there is no need to charge individuals).

The TB check may come under your health insurance, if you have it. Otherwise maybe Obamacare will pick this up as part of a preventative procedure? Either way, I have never heard of a TB test costing $75. Again, a prospective employer will usually cover something like this as it is a condition of employment.

Maybe they use these costs to discourage folks they do not want to hire? If thats the case, then a whole other Pandoras Box of lawsuits could be opened!

“We Should Worry!”

Since: Dec 08

Colonial Beach

#3 Nov 19, 2012
Unemployed hit it on the nail-head! The PD will do fingerprinting for free if an officer is avail.: the background check is through the VA State Police in Richmond, CB School Board sends the money order [from the prospective employee, NOT the Board] in along with the request.

The TB Test is paid for out-of-pocket by the same prospective employee. NONE of the required monies needed to get accepted for this position is paid by the School Board. This does NOT include the amount the prospective employee must pay for the actual money orders.
Unemployed

King George, VA

#4 Nov 19, 2012
It states right on the form a $37.00 fee will be charged for finger prints. Also states must make out money order of $7.00 to CB school board and attach to form for background check. I am unemployed, so no health insurance. The board also wants these 3 duplicate forms filled out by one personal acquantance and 2 ex employers. I am not from this area, so that request would be impossible to fulfill. However I listed references that can be called as is requested by most employers. Plus they attached W2 forms to the packet to be filled out.. Just seems like an awful lot of requested information up front for a job you may not get. Putting the cart way before the horse. I dont see how anyone can fulfill those requests unless some are waived or again you know somone at the school board.

“We Should Worry!”

Since: Dec 08

Colonial Beach

#5 Nov 19, 2012
God forfend a person AGREEING with someone on this forum ...JEEBUS.
John G

Richmond, VA

#6 Nov 19, 2012
Babbit Ishkabibble wrote:
God forfend a person AGREEING with someone on this forum ...JEEBUS.
Good to see you are posting again on Topix

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dahlgren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
davis cab 42 min vachaser 3
Bill Flammer Jr as a Write-In 9 hr Taxpayer 31
what happened to the lil town i loved?? 11 hr Yes 16
Kelseas Kitchen 11 hr 2sips 17
Good Eats in CB! 18 hr Keep the Faith 26
Mold in town hall Sat Pennicillin Factory 14
unfair bidding law broken by colonial bbeach Fri business 27
•••
•••
•••