Teens Die After Falling Through Ice - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Jan 10, 2010 | Posted by: TomSawyer65 | Full story: www.11alive.com

A Gwinnett County community mourns the loss of two teenage boys who died after falling through the ice of a frozen pond.

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2010

“Just my opinion”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

This is a sad story but another example of Darwinism. At 14 and 15 , this kids have to be smart enough not to 'trust' an ice lake, especially since there were warnings. My condolenses to the families of these kids.
lighteredknot

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

Parents will sue owners of lake for not posting a sign about not walking on thin ice even though it only happens once in every 10 years.

“The Constitution Rocks !!”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

We have teens the same age. I'd rather die before any of my kids. So sad.
gary

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

This is indeed a sad story, however Dawin has nothing to do with this, this is the south and not washington state and ice will not freeze very thick or hard. I have lived where you can drive a truck across the lakes, but there is no gaurantee that it won't break with you and it is several feet thick. I am very sorry for the loss of these young people.

“Just my opinion”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

gary wrote:
This is indeed a sad story, however Dawin has nothing to do with this, this is the south and not washington state and ice will not freeze very thick or hard. I have lived where you can drive a truck across the lakes, but there is no gaurantee that it won't break with you and it is several feet thick. I am very sorry for the loss of these young people.
I agree Gary and that was my point. Even more so in the south these kids, at that age should have known better. It is a sad story and hopefully others will learn from this tragic mishap.
AnonH

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

As soon as the south started reezing up longer than usual I told my wife, "some dumbassed kids are gonna die in a frozen pond", sure enough it came to pass.

“Just my opinion”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

AnonH wrote:
As soon as the south started reezing up longer than usual I told my wife, "some dumbassed kids are gonna die in a frozen pond", sure enough it came to pass.
Did you really say that???

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

lighteredknot wrote:
Parents will sue owners of lake for not posting a sign about not walking on thin ice even though it only happens once in every 10 years.
You are probably correct. Or they will sue for the sewage dump being "too deep".

As 11 Alive, said, Gwinnett 9111 received nearly 30 calls about kids playing on frozen bodies of water. How about punishing parents for not teaching their children???

“Peace be with you.”

Since: Aug 08

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Look_Out wrote:
<quoted text>
You are probably correct. Or they will sue for the sewage dump being "too deep".
As 11 Alive, said, Gwinnett 9111 received nearly 30 calls about kids playing on frozen bodies of water. How about punishing parents for not teaching their children???
I think these parents have just payed their penance. Don't you think?

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

TomSawyer65 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think these parents have just payed their penance. Don't you think?
Their kids died due to the parent's lack of teaching their kids common sense. That is actually the way you believe it should work?!

I suppose you supported Huckabee giving clemency to the continued trouble, Maurice Clemmons....
AnonH

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

tampabayallstar wrote:
<quoted text> Did you really say that???
Honest to God.

“Peace be with you.”

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Look_Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Their kids died due to the parent's lack of teaching their kids common sense. That is actually the way you believe it should work?!
I suppose you supported Huckabee giving clemency to the continued trouble, Maurice Clemmons....
I don't think it should work that way...... come on...... are you just trying to be disagreeable and pompous?

What other punishment do you think these parents deserve in addition to losing their children? You have no idea what pain and punishment they are suffering right now. If you have never lost a child you can't imagine what it is like.

You can make this political by comparing this situation to Clemmons but only in your mind does that make any sense........

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

TomSawyer65 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it should work that way...... come on...... are you just trying to be disagreeable and pompous?
What other punishment do you think these parents deserve in addition to losing their children? You have no idea what pain and punishment they are suffering right now. If you have never lost a child you can't imagine what it is like.
You can make this political by comparing this situation to Clemmons but only in your mind does that make any sense........
I am sorry you do not have the sense to follow. Let me TRY to explain to you....

IF parents were to PAY for their LACK of parental guidance (not JUST these ones), parents would think twice. Let me give you a simple example. Use these parents as examples and throw them on a frozen lake and then drop a tree onto that lake (in other words, breaking the ice, in case you can not understand). LET it be known this was done because of their lack or parental guidance and it WILL be done do parent's continual lack of parental guidance.

Now, I KNOW you are complaining about THESE parents going through too much right now due to the loss of their children, and I do not argue with that. BUT just think!:-D If they had done their job as parents, this would not have happened in the first place and the children would still be alive today.

And you fell I am making this "political" simply by using an example with Huckabee and Clemmons? LMFAO That is simply your view.
My point there was the same as parenting. Had Huckabee allowed Clemmons to be guillotined after armed robbery, he never would have killed the 4 policeman our taxes pay for to protect us. Had they simply chopped his hand off for bringing a gun to his high school, he would've though twice, three time, four times....before doing it again.

I know I am making this too complicated for you, but the simple point is, if you just do your job and do it correctly from the beginning (which so many parents AND our justice system fail to do today), things would be different. In other words, those children would probably be alive today as would the four policemen Clemmons killed.

“Peace be with you.”

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Look_Out wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry you do not have the sense to follow. Let me TRY to explain to you....
IF parents were to PAY for their LACK of parental guidance (not JUST these ones), parents would think twice. Let me give you a simple example. Use these parents as examples and throw them on a frozen lake and then drop a tree onto that lake (in other words, breaking the ice, in case you can not understand). LET it be known this was done because of their lack or parental guidance and it WILL be done do parent's continual lack of parental guidance.
Now, I KNOW you are complaining about THESE parents going through too much right now due to the loss of their children, and I do not argue with that. BUT just think!:-D If they had done their job as parents, this would not have happened in the first place and the children would still be alive today.
And you fell I am making this "political" simply by using an example with Huckabee and Clemmons? LMFAO That is simply your view.
My point there was the same as parenting. Had Huckabee allowed Clemmons to be guillotined after armed robbery, he never would have killed the 4 policeman our taxes pay for to protect us. Had they simply chopped his hand off for bringing a gun to his high school, he would've though twice, three time, four times....before doing it again.
I know I am making this too complicated for you, but the simple point is, if you just do your job and do it correctly from the beginning (which so many parents AND our justice system fail to do today), things would be different. In other words, those children would probably be alive today as would the four policemen Clemmons killed.
I followed along the first time, dear. I can easily say you don't get it either. I am guessing without these parents being brought into the justice system taking up tax dollars and time.......... that many many parents have learned from their mistake already.

Death is a permanent sentence. No court system needed.

Please, don't take any more of your valuable time trying to justify this case to Clemmons or validating your justice system theory.......... I am no longer interested in sparring with you.
joker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Look_Out wrote:
<quoted text>
How about these kid's shouldn't of been tress-passing.I thought for sure these kids were WHITE,usually Black kids won't go near water.I don't think this is something you would of ever thought of to teach kids.It rarely snows or ice'es up like that.I think that common sense comes with age.

“Just my opinion”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

AnonH wrote:
<quoted text>
Honest to God.
It was unusually cold and probably rare , even for Atl to have frozen ponds. The kids were probably 'mesmerized' in some way and just thought emotionally and not logically and thus 2 out of 3 are no longer with us. I still think its Darwinism at work here.

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

TomSawyer65 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am no longer interested in sparring with you.
Good thing. Relax your brain.

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

joker wrote:
<quoted text> How about these kid's shouldn't of been tress-passing.I thought for sure these kids were WHITE,usually Black kids won't go near water.I don't think this is something you would of ever thought of to teach kids.It rarely snows or ice'es up like that.I think that common sense comes with age.
If every single person that trespassed was taken down, there would be no one left on this planet. But if you want to blame it on their trespassing, that again was a failure on the parents part in not teaching the kids about trespassing.

And "Black kids usually do not go near water?" Where does THAT come from?!
AnonH

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

tampabayallstar wrote:
<quoted text> It was unusually cold and probably rare , even for Atl to have frozen ponds. The kids were probably 'mesmerized' in some way and just thought emotionally and not logically and thus 2 out of 3 are no longer with us. I still think its Darwinism at work here.
That is exactly what I predicted would happen, southern kids not used to having frozen ponds and uneducated about the dangers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dacula Discussions

Search the Dacula Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 10 min rename 49,680
Best Quality Novelty Fake IDs, Passports,and Dr... (Feb '13) Wed perseynicolas954 4
need home fast Jul 19 jennifer 1
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 16 what 2,045
Review: KAR Kingdom Jul 8 Teniue Simmons 1
Review: Daniel F Ashley Attorney (Dec '09) Jul 7 Thankful 13
Review: Choe's Hapkido Martial Arts Lawrenceville Jul 1 Crystal 3
•••
•••

Dacula News Video

•••
•••

Dacula Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••