`A heinous crime'

`A heinous crime'

There are 23 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Jun 8, 2008, titled `A heinous crime'. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Colleen Sowma , with some of her family, shows a painting of her husband, Cypress Police Sgt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jmc

United States

#1 Jun 9, 2008
leave the poor guy alone he served his time! i hate people who judge as if they were the big decider they probably dont even know if this guy has rehabilitated,the sowma family & everyone else who's so quick to judge this guy should make a mistake someday and have people judge them the same way with no chance!!!!!
CMJ

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jun 9, 2008
Bobby Joe Denney was convicted of killing a Cypress police officer (La Mirada resident) and received a life sentence with the possibility of parole.

Sowma's family and colleagues are collecting as many signatures as they can get by July 15 to prevent Denney from being paroled this year.

The Cypress Police Officers Association has the petition available online at:

www.cypresspoa.org/Sowma %20Petition%20Page.htm
JUSTICE FOR SOWMA

Barstow, CA

#3 Jun 9, 2008
This murder has not served his time. He was given life with out parole. What part of that has been lost over all this time. I can only speak for myself but Srt. Sowma and his family deserve at least that, for his sacrafice.
LMHS FAN

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jun 9, 2008
Let someone kill you father or someone close to you, then let me know how you feel. This MURDERER was in a shootout with police in Oklahoma and murdered Sgt. Sowma in Cypress. that is not a mistake that is a HABIT. We shoulsd not be having this blog, he should have been executed long ago.
jmc wrote:
leave the poor guy alone he served his time! i hate people who judge as if they were the big decider they probably dont even know if this guy has rehabilitated,the sowma family & everyone else who's so quick to judge this guy should make a mistake someday and have people judge them the same way with no chance!!!!!
Kellie Pomeroy

Corvallis, OR

#5 Jun 9, 2008
I was a young dispatcher at Cypress PD when I got called from home to handle the radio for a shooting. It turned out to be the fatal shooting of an excellent police sergeant , Don Sowma. Think this wasn't a "serial" killing? The 12 hour ordeal affected the personnel of our department to this day. Every officer there, and their families, suffered the impact of this traumatic incident. I dispatched another 18 years but the harsh reality was always there. Yes, Bobby Joe Denney has been in jail a long time. Too bad. He took away the innocence of a lot of good people that day. It was his decision.
bscottatkinson

Garden Grove, CA

#6 Jun 9, 2008
Because of Rose Bird and Jerry Brown invalidating the death penalty just prior to 1976 we have had to provide for this cop killer for over 30 years. There was no reason why he should have been allowed to live while Sgt. Sowma died and his family has had to live with that for so long.
Michael

United States

#7 Jun 9, 2008
I'm not gonna get into how much this knucklehead should be worm meal instead of a taxpayer's burden. I will say that he doesn't deserve to give someone the satisfaction of his company as a son, father, brother, husband or boyfriend since he took that away from someone else! I believe good people do make mistakes, but who is the parole board fooling here, themselves? Obviously this person cannot be rehabilitated and thus should be caged till death like the animal he truly is!
Mike Sowma

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Jun 9, 2008
Leave the poor guy alone? It's an outright crime in itself that this guy didn't receive the death penalty. The impact of his actions not only devastated our family but an entire Police Dept. We are not only fighting to keep this career criminal in prison for killing our Father, but to send the message to any potential cop killer still on the street that this will never be forgiven. We feel a deep obligation to every Police Officer. We will do everything in our power to keep this scum off the streets.
STORMIN NORMAN

Ventura, CA

#9 Jun 9, 2008
THATS A BUMMER MAN !!!!!
Will

San Diego, CA

#10 Jun 10, 2008
jmc wrote:
I'm sure you would feel differently if this guy had killed one of your loved ones in cold blood. Going to prison for murder isn't for rehabilitation, it is for punishment. His punishment will be complete when he dies in prison!
Tiffany

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#11 Jun 10, 2008
Sowma family,

My heart goes out to you... the man who did this should never be able to have the possibility of freedom! I have signed your petition and sent it to my friends and family. Good luck to you!
John

Lytle Creek, CA

#12 Jun 10, 2008
Throw the low life bastard in a cell, and melt the key. He's a career criminal who will undoubtedly continue his violent behavior if ever released. Having retired from twenty-five years employment in CDCR I know a deadbeat when I come across one. This guys no damn good!
John

Lytle Creek, CA

#13 Jun 10, 2008
Unfortunately, our "FRIENDS" at the ACLU will do everything in their power to not only reduce prison sentences, but put POS like this guy on your street corner. I think we have a serious problem!
Mike Sowma wrote:
Leave the poor guy alone? It's an outright crime in itself that this guy didn't receive the death penalty. The impact of his actions not only devastated our family but an entire Police Dept. We are not only fighting to keep this career criminal in prison for killing our Father, but to send the message to any potential cop killer still on the street that this will never be forgiven. We feel a deep obligation to every Police Officer. We will do everything in our power to keep this scum off the streets.
SML

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Jun 10, 2008
JMC You are an idiot! You should be in jail also! And yes I am judging you!
jmc wrote:
jmc

United States

#15 Jun 11, 2008
typical response from sml and most "americans" first the name calling,hey sml this is a free country remember? or at least it used to be before your type thought it solely belonged to them.why dont you and all your type go back to your nazi country and throw everyone that disagrees with you in jail!dont try it here you will never succeed you are and always will be out numbered!
Jill

Acton, CA

#16 Jun 12, 2008
God Bless you and your family Mr. Sowma, coming from a law enforcement family I feel your pain. I have sign the petition, and forwarded it to all my friends and family to sign. Please let us know if more can be done to keep this asshole in jail. I remember he and his fellow officer Jim Worden were always great to the children of all ages in Cypress, and had the pleasure of meeting them both through the high school law enforcement program. You are in our thoughts and prayer during this trying time.
The Farrell Family
Lyrea Sowma

United States

#17 Jun 13, 2008
I wish it was as simple as "leave the poor guy alone"
My family has to live every day knowing that the man who killed husband/father/grandfather/gre at grandfather could someday walk out of prison. Last itme I checked prison was not a rehab center and being a cold blooded killer is not a disease that can be cured. I pray for your family jmc that you never have to face the pain this family has faced.
Mike Sowma

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Jun 15, 2008
JMC.. your a real piece of work. You mentioned out numbered. As you can see by ALL the other responses you are the only ONE that feels that cold blooded killers should have the opportunity to walk the streets. We've received over 5000 signatures supporting our cause. Thank God for all the good citizens that realize that giving cold blooded murderers second chances doesn't make sense.
From a concerned citizen

United States

#19 Jun 16, 2008
Obviously you have never lost someone to a violent crime. Even when we think the person is rehabed all it takes is one second to repeat the same offense. Denney took one second and took another persons life with no respect for that life you call that a mistake? Boy I want to live in your world.
jmc wrote:
Kim Wheeler

United States

#20 Jun 16, 2008
jmc wrote:
In respone to JMC it seems to me that this person gets off on this and likes to see the reaction that everyone is going to give. All this person wants to do is draw attention to themself.
This family should not have to go through this everytime this COP KILLER is up for parole. They have to relive the horror over and over again. There is no closure for this family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cypress Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 17 min Parent of Gifted 10,253
News 8th Grade Haskell Middle School Student Missing (Oct '13) Mon tellinitlikeitis 2
News Here's Why Your Poop Can Be So Freaking Weird o... Sun Emerald 2
Where is LMP (Mar '08) Sun Fake 1 percenters 87
why is VLM so disrespected by everyone (Jul '08) Sun Stupidmf 121
News Manitoba premier comments on Winnipeg chamber c... Dec 8 The Ghost of Don ... 4
News Rusty's bread was a memorable loss (Aug '08) Dec 8 Bkgun42 21

Cypress Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cypress Mortgages