La Palma: Kennedy High School Student Dies After Traffic Accident, Fundraisers Planned

Nov 4, 2010 Full story: Red County, California 13

From the good folks at the city of La Palma: The Long Beach Memorial Medical Center has notified the City of La Palma that the 16-year old Cypress resident and John F. Kennedy High School student who was critically injured in a traffic collision on November 1, passed away early this morning at about 12:40 am.

Full Story
Marlene McCamey

Burbank, CA

#1 Nov 5, 2010
How incredibly sad that someone with their whole life ahead of them, had to die so young, just because someone in such a hurry, couldn't slow down in a known school zone.
Shame on the Orange Co. Register for not even mentioning this terrible tragedy & shedding some light on the urgent problem & possibly cause at least one person to be EXTRA cautious driving near schools.
V-duB

United States

#2 Nov 5, 2010
Ignorance. What about her Never learning to look both ways before crossing? Or how to share the road with moving vehicles. Sad but couldve been prevented by BOTH.
nickey

Buena Park, CA

#3 Nov 5, 2010
I have lived in the city of La Palma for 35 years and attended Kennedy High School. Shame Shame on the city of La Palma to never have put in a permanent signal at this particular cross walk. This cross walk has the high school tennis courts and the football field on one side and a community park directly across the street. For the safety of our community there should have been a signal there or they should have never put the cross walk there to begin with. Also take into consideration La Palma is literaly one square mile and with all the conjestion at this on particular area the city should have notice this was an tradgedy waiting to happen. So sorry it had to take this tradgedy to make them notice. Hopefully something will be done and this will never happen again. My prayers are with this family.
Jeannine

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Nov 5, 2010
This is for V-duB..........HOW DARE YOU SAY IGNORANCE FOR THE STUDENT TO LOOK BOTH WAYS AND HAVE THE NERVE TO SAY SHE WAS AT FAULT AS WELL!!!!!!! A CAR IS IN TEH SCHOOL ZONE, YOU DO NOT DRIVE IN A MANNER THAT YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER STOPPING YOUR VEHICLE NEAR A CROSSING ZONE!!!
IF THIS WAS YOU CHILD OR HAD ANY EMPATHY FOR A CHILD KILLED AS A RESULT OF RECKLESS DRIVING, YOU WOULD FEEL DIFFERENT. A LIFE HAS BEEN LOST, IDIOT!!
To the family, I DO UNDERSTAND losing a child due to other people's negligance. We feel your pain and only Christ Jesus can sustain you in this time of grief. Our thoughts and care are with you from our practice.
coleen

Seal Beach, CA

#5 Nov 5, 2010
Hey V-Dub..........I knew this young beautiful girl well and under no curcumstances was she in the least bit ignorant, you on the other hand are and sadly very stupid to post such a hurtful, idiotic statement. She was in a crosswalk, what more needs to be said. I drive my son to Kennedy through this area everyday and have seen many close calls myself. The city of La Palma should have done something about this area years ago. The Police should have had a car there every morning as these kids that go to zero period are crossing a street with heavy traffic in the dark with absolutely no lighting available. Its a horrible tragedy. She was so special and I will miss her forever. I wish I could take away all the pain her family is having to endure now. My thoughts and prayers are always with you.
Kenndy High School Mom

Seal Beach, CA

#6 Nov 5, 2010
V-duB wrote:
Ignorance. What about her Never learning to look both ways before crossing? Or how to share the road with moving vehicles. Sad but couldve been prevented by BOTH.
Please do not comment on things you know nothing about! She was almost thru the cross walk when she was hit by the speeding car.
BP Res

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Nov 5, 2010
V-duB wrote:
Ignorance. What about her Never learning to look both ways before crossing? Or how to share the road with
moving vehicles. Sad but couldve been prevented by BOTH.
It should have been you in the cross walk! You ignorant son of bitch!
paul

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Nov 5, 2010
Sadly the city has more interest in writing revenue generation tickets around the schools instead of putting up a light or flashing light during school hours. Police did not do anything wrong but I believe there was a motor officer right there when it happened.

v-dub

you comments reflect your IQ which I can count on one hand and not use my thumb.
kennedy alumni

Northridge, CA

#9 Nov 5, 2010
I remember I almost got ran over here three times during my high school days (not so long ago too). So many drivers who drive around this area are just careless and LOVE to speed on Crescent Avenue, which is like a 35 mph zone. My friend has gotten in a car accident here before and broke her leg before, but never have I heard someone die until today...
La Palma Police is notorious for their strictness (stinginess) regarding speeding tickets (they hide behind the school building with a speed gun on Walker St.), but both Cypress and La Palma never cared about this crosswalk that so many students use to get to school and to get home.
Sandy

United States

#10 Nov 7, 2010
How dare you? What kind of animal are you to have such little regard for a precious life?
You really need to pray about this and retract your comment. You are a heartless pig!!!!
Doc

Long Beach, CA

#11 Nov 8, 2010
Crescent Street lies within the city boundaries of Cypress, CA, not in La Palma.
kennedy student

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Dec 9, 2010
she has a name & it was sydney ramirez.none of us at kennedy highschool will ever forget her .
& V-duB your a terrible person .This accident was not her fault one bit.you have alot of nerve to post that on here.
marlene mccarney

Brea, CA

#13 Sep 26, 2014
Marlene McCamey wrote:
How incredibly sad that someone with their whole life ahead of them, had to die so young, just because someone in such a hurry, couldn't slow down in a known school zone.
Shame on the Orange Co. Register for not even mentioning this terrible tragedy & shedding some light on the urgent problem & possibly cause at least one person to be EXTRA cautious driving near schools.
poorkid

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cypress Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
La Mirada City Council election 3 hr Chonny 87
Election 2015: De Ruse, Eng, Mowles win in La M... 3 hr Chonny 1
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 14 hr Davis 5,376
LM Football Loses Early In CIF Again Wed Thuraname 7
sonic boom or blast (Jun '13) Tue ken 30
police movilization in Norwalk Square Tue Raul 1
Helicopters flying over home for past hour? Mon buff 6

Cypress News Video

Cypress Dating
Find my Match