Unhappy defendant assaults his attorney in Scott County courtroom

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: Kentucky.com | Full story: Kentucky.com

“I'd rather have the prosecutor be my attorney than him”

A defendant unhappy with his court-appointed attorney punched the lawyer as they stood before a judge Monday.

Peter Hafer, 30, of Cynthiana, assaulted his attorney Doug Crickmer while Crickmer was speaking before Judge Rob Johnson in Scott County Circuit Court.

'I just couldn't take it anymore and I just snapped,' Hafer said later at the Scott County jail.

Court Bailiff Jim Traylor said Hafer hit Crickmer three or four times in the face and stomach, sending the attorney to a hospital for treatment. Read more

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Jun 30, 2011
Jim F

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

Only got in 3 or 4 punches? To bad he could'nt finish him off!! Lawyers should be subject to much worse!!
Jim F

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

We should start a defense fund for this individual, as he is an American hero!!!
nozh scrap

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Peter Hafer ain't no hero. He's a big twitchy insane dumbass jailbird.
that man

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

well i saw tha shiznit on cnn and disorder in tha court room and once or twice one you tube . it was pure comedy. critmire is a poopy court appointed lawyer any way . the guy who punched him is A OK in my book.
snowy owl

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

because of hafer acting like he did, now all prisoners have to be shackled when going to court. I wish he had kept his fist to himself.
whatever

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

try not doing illegal things and you won't have to worry about wearing those shackles now would you?
Unfair

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

I think its wrong that poor people that cant afford their own lawyer have to be stuck with public defenders that dont even try to help them. I hate it happened but am glad the guy had the balls to let his feelings known.
Former Resident

Ft Mitchell, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

'poor people can't afford their own lawyer'.....first of all don't get in trouble and you won't have to worry about it. Second of all, why should my tax money pay for some retard to have representation!! I think it should be 3 strikes and you're out. Shouldn't get free lawyer to begin with but then maybe after 3 times PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!!!!
Unfair

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Former Resident wrote:
'poor people can't afford their own lawyer'.....first of all don't get in trouble and you won't have to worry about it. Second of all, why should my tax money pay for some retard to have representation!! I think it should be 3 strikes and you're out. Shouldn't get free lawyer to begin with but then maybe after 3 times PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!!!!
people who get in trouble arent retards. u must have money and just because there are others that dont have as much as u you shouldnt call them names. It'd be different if it was a member of ur family. But u seem like a noncaring low-life a**hole ur family probably dont claim u.
schnit

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

Former Resident wrote:
Lord where have you been they do have to pay for public defenders and then get poor defense from some !! If they dont pay they go back to jail now its obvious you know nothing about this and not everyone can get Casey Holland because of his caseload
Lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

It was just on tru tv tonight

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cynthiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Straw Grasping Te... 150,068
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 5 min BIG_STEVIE 26,223
pigs pulling people over. 12 hr umm doughnuts 1
The Rock Fitness Center (Aug '10) 12 hr member 12
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 13 hr Yoda-byte-me 1,031
2 Girls at hilliside 16 hr Greg 13
jenny moore (Jan '14) 18 hr friend 8

Search the Cynthiana Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Cynthiana Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000